PDA

View Full Version : My smoking habit

oblark
Sunday 31st August 2014, 21:59
I`ve been doing some research on crankshaft pressure,

Can someone recommend a 12v vac pump,

Ideally one from a car so I could see if I could find it in the breakers.

Thanks

mike 850
Sunday 31st August 2014, 23:07
What are you trying to do mate? Have you checked the crankcase pressure with a balloon or glove?

oblark
Monday 1st September 2014, 07:49
I want to fit a vac pump to the catch tank so I lower the crankshaft pressure.

M-R-P
Monday 1st September 2014, 08:07
On mine, I had 9mm i/d pipe from the catch can outlet, back to the maf to turbo pipe and it pulled too much through the system. Worth a try if you're looking to physically pull the air through. If the catch can is baffled correctly, you shouldn't get any oil back into the inlet.

oblark
Monday 1st September 2014, 08:15
I've reduced the id of the pipe that comes off the catch tank and goes to the maf/turbo from 8mm to 3mm.

This has stopped the catch tank filling up quickly but has caused it to smoke.

stribo
Monday 1st September 2014, 08:38
I've reduced the id of the pipe that comes off the catch tank and goes to the maf/turbo from 8mm to 3mm.

This has stopped the catch tank filling up quickly but has caused it to smoke.

Could you not fit an oil return from the catch tank, back to the block where the original catch tank drains to.

960kg
Monday 1st September 2014, 10:08
I think youv`e had a typo ........you mean crankcase pressure?

As you like making things have a good read of this (http://flashcustoms.co.uk/2012/03/11/technical-design-of-an-oil-catch-tank/)and pick out the bits you like ........i like the idea of the perforated baffle!

oblark
Monday 1st September 2014, 10:17
I think youv`e had a typo ........you mean crankcase pressure?

As you like making things have a good read of this (http://flashcustoms.co.uk/2012/03/11/technical-design-of-an-oil-catch-tank/)and pick out the bits you like ........i like the idea of the perforated baffle!

Thanks for the link :)

I`m now thinking along the lines of a stand alone alloy PCV tank.

960kg
Monday 1st September 2014, 10:31
I do believe that is the best way to go get separate from the Volvo PCV system and go your own way.

I know i waffle but only like to mention what can happen and why!...........when an engine is assembled the ring gaps are supposed to be at 273degrees to one another except with a two-stroke where there are locating pins in the grooves so the rings won`t turn and get broken in the ports but of course the 4 stroke has no pins and so the rings do turn in there grooves and when they may all line up the engine will smoke as the oil goes by......there are so many things which are the cause of oil burning some more serious than others.......although a catch tank may solve oil and smoke blowing out the engine but why has the engine so much crankcase pressure in the first place?

Also don`t forget on a performance machine if it burns oil all the better as at least all of the bores are being lubricated .........oil scraper rings that do there job to good will be in an engine that will wear quicker.

It is difficult talking about how much it smokes as very "little smoke" is just part of a performance engines running especially at what bhp you are expecting.......you can`t have it always.......if you don`t like smoke for a road car then detune it.

Have you measured how much oil to a 1000miles your using?........you should be using a half a litre depending on the oil and use.