PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan fusible link

Darkstar-SFX
Saturday 30th August 2014, 11:45
My cooling fan has died! Seized up and has melted all the wires. Even the relay had become stuck to the plug! However, I had a spare fan on my dead V70 P1. Everything identical, including the relay (different part number on it, but same description and configuration). Fan still not working though.... Haynes book shows a "fusible link" between alternator and fan, but no other word of its location! I've had a good look under the bonnet, but can see nothing obvious. The V70 has an extra fuse box in the engine bay, with a 60A one for the fan - but where the hell is it hiding in an 850?

Darkstar-SFX
Saturday 30th August 2014, 13:39
Tested everything: Fan ok, relay ok, no power from the single red wire to the relay - so it's deffo the "fusible link". Despite extensive googling, I can't find out exactly where this is - somewhere between starter motor and relay.... Is it in the loom? Looks like it would be a chuffing pain to replace? Anyone done it? No wonder the V70 has a proper fuse!! I'm thinking a "byepass" with easily replaceable fuse would maybe be the best option?? What say you good people???

merc85
Saturday 30th August 2014, 18:05
Green/red wire off the starter motor goes into the loom. Just take a direct live from the positive to the relay thats what i did on my Red 850 t5.

Darkstar-SFX
Sunday 31st August 2014, 13:59
Yeah, I decided to install a bypass! I'm not entirely happy with it, due to the fat-knacker, maxi-blade fuse holder being the best I could find at Halfrauds. I'm going to re-do it in more permanent fashion, once I source some better quality components :biggrin:26510

Darkstar-SFX
Monday 8th September 2014, 18:12
Scenes of devastation from inside the old fan! One of the magnets has come loose, but it's hard to tell if this caused the meltdown, or is a symptom. Makes me think a 60A fuse may be too high?2674726748