PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant lack of power

evo3500
Friday 29th August 2014, 15:57
Hi Guys hope you can help. I have 1 Volvo with an issues and I am thinking of buying an S80 D5 auto 2004 with an issues I will post that one in the S80 part of the forum.

First my v70 2.4 estate auto 2001 as this is my daily driver.

Car has been great until recently, when I was going uphill at 70mph cruise control on when suddenly all the power dropped off and it just crawled 3000rpm or so speed reduced to 20 -30mph, but would not pull the skin off a rice pudding, dropped to 20mph on hill.
Drove it until I could get off road about another 1 mile or so eml came on and message engine service I think, engine sounded rough like (missing) at low rpm when revved up smoothed out when stationary, also revving up and down on its own when stationary.
I let it cool down and car behaved for another 10 miles or so, got a code reader on it had P1651 databus powertrain missing stored twice, and p1610 dtc definitions no codes please refer to vehicle service manual.

Cleared codes, cleaned maf with electrical contact cleaner have driven car limited use short trips and has been ok for 3-4 days until today.
Car started up fine drove 1/2 mile, revs dropped to 2000rpm 20mph really struggles up hill . Pulled over engine revving up and down on its own. read codes again same stored again. could this be the maf sensor ?

Thanks
in advance for any help.

stribo
Friday 29th August 2014, 16:13
P1610 is an electronic throttle module fault code, it may be on the way out, or it may just need a clean.

evo3500
Friday 29th August 2014, 16:28
Hi Stribo thanks how do you go about cleaning it. Is there a procedure to follow.
I am I think reasonably competent lol.
I have electrical contact cleaner and tools .
where is the part located and what does it look like please ?
Nothing lost in giving it a clean.
if this doesn't work can the part be repaired reconditioned ?

thanks

stribo
Friday 29th August 2014, 17:02
The ETM is located beneath the inlet manifold, this should help with regards cleaning it:
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?54512-s60-2-0T-etm-clean&highlight=etm+cleaning

LeeT5
Friday 29th August 2014, 18:58
Hi Stribo thanks how do you go about cleaning it. Is there a procedure to follow.
I am I think reasonably competent lol.
I have electrical contact cleaner and tools .
where is the part located and what does it look like please ?
Nothing lost in giving it a clean.
if this doesn't work can the part be repaired reconditioned ?

thanks

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=volvo_post_1999_marelli_elect ronic_throttle_system

evo3500
Friday 29th August 2014, 19:26
Thanks will give it a go and report back:)

evo3500
Friday 29th August 2014, 19:28
Just a thought mine is non turbo is it in the same place and procedure the same ?
Thanks

stribo
Friday 29th August 2014, 19:31
Just a thought mine is non turbo is it in the same place and procedure the same ?
Thanks

I'd have thought so, but the pipe won't come fromthe intercooler, instead it'll come straight from the air box.

evo3500
Saturday 30th August 2014, 10:43
Great will report back when ive done it
thanks for your help