PDA

View Full Version : HID's?

Quicksilver
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 22:22
Looking to fit some HID's do I need canbus compliant ones for my P1? thought the bulb warning system was just for the brake lights?

M-R-P
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 23:28
Fit them, if you have any trouble, get some 50w load resistors from eBay (about a fiver) and fit them across the power supply to the ballasts.

Get the cheapest HIDs you can find, they're all the same.

Quicksilver
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 23:49
Thanks for that, found some 55w 6k for £16, worth a punt!

M-R-P
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 23:58
Just remember... The higher the k rating.... The more of a chav you'll look lol. 4300k is proper white.

V70 Graham
Wednesday 27th August 2014, 08:44
Just remember... The higher the k rating.... The more of a chav you'll look lol. 4300k is proper white.

My proper white ones are 5000k.....I wouldn't go any higher tbh.

Sharkey R
Wednesday 27th August 2014, 08:47
Mine are 6000K and look pretty damn white :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 27th August 2014, 11:30
Mine are 6000K and look pretty damn white :)

Chav.

p fandango
Wednesday 27th August 2014, 12:31
i always use 6000k

moosepowerlee
Wednesday 27th August 2014, 20:15
Mine are 8000k oops better go buy a burberry baseball cap :)

LeeT5
Friday 29th August 2014, 19:03
4300k is stock with a yellowy tinge but very bright.
5000k is white and very bright.
6000k is white not as bright with a blue tinge around the edges
8000k is blue and considered illegal (Police will tug you all the time)
10,000k is highly illegal as they are purple.

From 6000k up the actual amount of light on the road massively diminshes and they are rubbish in the dark.

I use 5000k.

LeeT5
Friday 29th August 2014, 19:05
Looking to fit some HID's do I need canbus compliant ones for my P1? thought the bulb warning system was just for the brake lights?

To answer your question...No.

I used normal HID's on my P1R and they were fine. Just make sure you get the correct type of bulb, ie Projector or reflector type. Get it wrong and you definately will look like a chav and you'll piss other road users off with your un metered light polution!

JamesT5
Friday 29th August 2014, 19:32

From 6000k up the actual amount of light on the road massively diminshes and they are rubbish in the dark.

I use 5000k.

Disagree entirely. The ones that Duane fitted to the D5 are like flood lights and they're 6000K rating. The dipped beams are running standard bulbs at the moment and when I dip the lights for a car coming the other way, it's like going from having flood lights to candles. 6000K are very bright!

p fandango
Friday 29th August 2014, 19:56
Disagree entirely. The ones that Duane fitted to the D5 are like flood lights and they're 6000K rating. The dipped beams are running standard bulbs at the moment and when I dip the lights for a car coming the other way, it's like going from having flood lights to candles. 6000K are very bright!
they are 50watt hids in the main beam on Bonny, but yes they are good

LeeT5
Friday 29th August 2014, 20:00

You would do and as Pedro says, they are 50w not the standard 35w, so that doesn't count!
You cannot compare a 35w with a 50w as you will get a completely different light output.

So, going back to what I originally said.......

Harvey
Friday 29th August 2014, 20:28

The use of HID lamps have been a bone of contention for a long time.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120606172804/http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

Quicksilver
Friday 29th August 2014, 23:28
I have to be honest and and say I do get irritated by the extremely bright DRL's and HiD's used on more recently built cars!!! Just want to get my own back!!!

Plus my brother has moved to deepest Cornwall to the end of the longest, narrowest, darkest lane I've ever been down and I realised how crap my lights were!!
We have street lights in Devon!!
Looking forward to getting them fitted!

Maybe just have to change back to standard for the Mot.

Spooky
Saturday 30th August 2014, 00:12
I fit some 35w 8000k to mine 2 weeks ago. They do not look blue in the slightest (and yes, i know they should but they dont) and i have been out most nights and not been tugged once by the rozzers (and i live in Bradford so there are plenty of them about... rozzers and chavs that is!)

You need H7 for the main beam and H1 for the fogs.

Heres a pic :)26501

Quicksilver
Saturday 30th August 2014, 15:43
My kit arrived today, so I'll be fitting soon and let you know.

Quicksilver
Tuesday 2nd September 2014, 00:23
Well not that impressed!!! Light output not much better than standard just a different colour!! Then one started flickering!! Today it went out completely and the bulb failure light came on! When they say "plug and play" they don't say how many times!!

At the moment there both still working but for how long??

LeeT5
Tuesday 2nd September 2014, 13:00
Well not that impressed!!! Light output not much better than standard just a different colour!! Then one started flickering!! Today it went out completely and the bulb failure light came on! When they say "plug and play" they don't say how many times!!

At the moment there both still working but for how long??

Really? What kit did you buy? Got a link?

Quicksilver
Tuesday 2nd September 2014, 14:21
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281413571138

These, seller wants me to pay £9 to send a complete new kit and he dosnt want the faulty kit back! China of course!!

Phantom T5
Saturday 13th September 2014, 22:08
Has anyone tried the new Cree LED headlight bulbs? Thinking of trying them out, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-New-72w-6400lm-H7-Cree-LED-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-Lamp-Bulb-Super-Bright-/331315784494?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d23f5ab2e

JamesT5
Saturday 13th September 2014, 22:13
I've just ordered some HID's for Christine, they are 35W kits but 6000K and have to be better than halogen bulbs.

claymore
Saturday 13th September 2014, 22:24
I've just ordered some HID's for Christine, they are 35W kits but 6000K and have to be better than halogen bulbs.

What bulb type have you ordered?

JamesT5
Saturday 13th September 2014, 22:28
What bulb type have you ordered?

Bulb type? You mean H7 dipped beam and 9005 for the mains?

LeeT5
Saturday 13th September 2014, 23:27
No, he means reflector or projector type.

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 14th September 2014, 09:01
Martin, I have to disagree, not all bulbs are the same quality, you get what you pay for. Mine are still the originals so been on the car for 10 years and still going strong. When I decide a to change them I'll be fitting Osrams which are about £100 the pair.
I take it everyone knows technically all aftermarket kits are illegal as your meant to have self levelling headlamps and washer jets fitted?

p fandango
Sunday 14th September 2014, 09:19
Martin, I have to disagree, not all bulbs are the same quality, you get what you pay for. Mine are still the originals so been on the car for 10 years and still going strong. When I decide a to change them I'll be fitting Osrams which are about £100 the pair
Bonny's dipped set (which are now in the Messerschmitt) are 5-6years old, even if they blow today another replacement set @£15-20 which is all i paid for those makes more economic sense

JamesT5
Sunday 14th September 2014, 09:32
Martin, I have to disagree, not all bulbs are the same quality, you get what you pay for. Mine are still the originals so been on the car for 10 years and still going strong. When I decide a to change them I'll be fitting Osrams which are about £100 the pair.
I take it everyone knows technically all aftermarket kits are illegal as your meant to have self levelling headlamps and washer jets fitted?

You are correct in what you say, however some people have gone through MOT's with them on and had no issues or what you can do is remove them for the MOT and then refit them afterwards. You'd be amazed how many people do that.

Edit: When I say remove them for the MOT, I did also mean to say replace them with standard halogen candles before taking it for the test. :D

M-R-P
Sunday 14th September 2014, 09:33

oe HIDs are a different ball game all together though Mike. The ones were on about are cheap Chinese knockoffs, whereas the likes of osram and other crazy price ones are a far better quality with far more consistent light output and more resilience to the torture of flashing people through. They also make full brightness in a second or two. This justifies the pricing.
All the kits you see on fleabay are (bar a few differences in bulb base and packing) are pretty much the same crap and it's a lottery weather they work out of the box.

JamesT5
Sunday 14th September 2014, 09:34
No, he means reflector or projector type.

No idea, I just followed MRP's advice and got the cheapest set I could source that did what I wanted it to do. I trust Martin's advice on this, he seems to know what he's talking about.

T5frankie
Sunday 14th September 2014, 09:46
one of my xenons went the other day on my citroen, dunno whether its the bulb or ballast 70 quid each aftermarket

p fandango
Sunday 14th September 2014, 09:49
one of my xenons went the other day on my citroen, dunno whether its the bulb or ballast 70 quid each aftermarket
so its "beyond economical repair" for the second time since being in your ownership lol

Harvey
Sunday 14th September 2014, 09:52

Just swap the bulb from the working side see if it works ,if there's any condensation in the unit the ballast will blow.

T5frankie
Sunday 14th September 2014, 10:23
Just swap the bulb from the working side see if it works ,if there's any condensation in the unit the ballast will blow.

lol i did that but now none of them works, its such a tight fit in there i dunno whether i damaged the bulb trying to pull it out