PDA

View Full Version : Head bolts

oblark
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 11:44
As I`ve taken a few 5 cylinder engine apart and now have a quite a few sets of used head bolts.

One set I`ve got was only on a engine for 300 miles.

I`ve compared the length of all the head bolts and they are all the same length.

I now they are stretch bolts or are they ??? or just a marketing thing to get people to buy new bolts every time the head is removed ???

960kg
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 11:56
I would of thought it obvious that seeing as all your bolts are used then they have stretched to the same length `cos of the same torque tightening!

I would seriously buy a new set for your new engine otherwise you may regret it!.........also while your at it measure a new bolt...

oblark
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 12:01
I would of thought it obvious that seeing as all your bolts are used then they have stretched to the same length `cos of the same torque tightening!

I would seriously buy a new set for your new engine otherwise you may regret it!.........also while your at it measure a new bolt...

I will buying a new set for the ME7 engine and I`ll be comparing them to the used sets I`ve got to see if they is a difference in length :)

jamesy12345
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 12:15
I will buying a new set for the ME7 engine and I`ll be comparing them to the used sets I`ve got to see if they is a difference in length :)

Those used bolts have had a hard life!

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u565/jamesy12345/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140217_212338_zps80530631.jpg

From my car, exhaust side

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 12:38
I re-used mine on the 850 (didn't really get the new bolt thing back then). The first time I had no problems.

The second time I tried to re-use them one of them snapped leaving 2cm of the bolt in the block. Fortunately I managed to get a socket on the broken bit and undo it then fish it out with a magnet tool.

So yeah, it's iffy re-using them once, twice you're probably gonna lose :D

Oh and there was definitely a difference in the length compared to the new ones

graemewelch
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 12:45
To check.if theyve streched put a vernier on the should of the bolt. Me personly id just get some 12.9 cap heads.

jamesy12345
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 12:58
I re-used mine on the 850 (didn't really get the new bolt thing back then). The first time I had no problems.

The second time I tried to re-use them one of them snapped leaving 2cm of the bolt in the block. Fortunately I managed to get a socket on the broken bit and undo it then fish it out with a magnet tool.

So yeah, it's iffy re-using them once, twice you're probably gonna lose :D

Oh and there was definitely a difference in the length compared to the new ones

my bolts were original & never been disturbed as far as I know. Two of them baked into the exhaust side of the block so snapped on the way out

Sweep
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 13:15
I'd never ever re-use head bolts.

oblark
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 13:18
The set I removed from the ME7 engine I had to lay the engine on it`s side and stand on the engine, they where £$%&ing tight and where the orginal bolts.

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 13:54
don't re-use them , just go for new.
I cant find a spec on the length for you in my data books.
all of the models that you can re use state the length there, and what is ok or not.

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 14:26
Ive reused head bolts on my own standard engines but with this one ive just built running a fair bit more power I fitted new but did a caliper test on both used and new and they were the same

T5frankie
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 16:39
i'm sure you can get stretch and non stretch bolts

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 18:51
The set I removed from the ME7 engine I had to lay the engine on it`s side and stand on the engine, they where £$%&ing tight and where the orginal bolts.
Oh yeah they're tight, I had to brace the engine against something solid using a barbell bar wedged into the water pump hole
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/IMAG0144.jpg