PDA

View Full Version : Brake rumble at high speeds?

Bones
Friday 22nd August 2014, 09:06
What would cause a rumble when hitting the the brakes, not hard just to start taking the edge of the speed, were talking high speeds here 120-130mph+

Reason im asking, my mate....Dave.... says he felt rumbling, like the kind you get if a car has been sitting a while and the discs have got a bit rusty. Its fine for normal driving and motorway speeds etc

Funnily enough he also drives a 2001 S60 T5. Any pointers at where to start looking? im edging towards lower wishbone bushes??

M-R-P
Friday 22nd August 2014, 09:09
Could be bushed, could be crap/worn disks and pads that don't like being subjected to those speeds.

stribo
Friday 22nd August 2014, 09:14
Maybe it's caused by him going too fast.;)

Bones
Friday 22nd August 2014, 09:20
Maybe it's caused by him going too fast.;)

I said that to him! Think he got an ear bending from his Mrs too!

So, probs definateley looking at bushes, and might aswell use it as an excuse to uprate the discs and pads aswell. Although they were newly fitted at the beggining of this year, not long before David bought the car..........possibly ebay jobbies then

JamesT5
Friday 22nd August 2014, 11:32
Any wheel shake?

Bones
Friday 22nd August 2014, 13:41
No, no wheel wobble at all. Its pretty stable all the way untill the clocks run out of numbers!

slight noise off the top mounts on rough roads but thats really about it. No out of balance sort of feeling at all though

LeeT5
Sunday 24th August 2014, 20:01
What would cause a rumble when hitting the the brakes, not hard just to start taking the edge of the speed, were talking high speeds here 120-130mph+

Reason im asking, my mate....Dave.... says he felt rumbling, like the kind you get if a car has been sitting a while and the discs have got a bit rusty. Its fine for normal driving and motorway speeds etc

Funnily enough he also drives a 2001 S60 T5. Any pointers at where to start looking? im edging towards lower wishbone bushes??

Start by removing front wheels and measuring the thickness of the discs. If they are still within manufacturer spec then I'd bin the old brake pads and fit some stock pads in. 50 miles of gentle driving to bed in and see what happens.
It won't be worn bushes becasue that will just cause the steering to wander and not cause a 'rumble' as you put it, in the brakes.

Chances are its the pads wearing thin or incompatible with the discs. Start simple!!

Bones
Sunday 24th August 2014, 21:20
New discs and pads were fitted in march time, Although strongly suspect that they are either ebay specials or whatever brand the local motor factors sold. Hopefuly going to manage to book a day of work next week, so ill dedicate a day to poking and prodding the motor

I think its just a perfect excuse to uprate the discs, pads and fit braided line's. Do it at the same time as the polybushes, springs shocks etc get fitted. Luckily enough I've got access to ramps so that at least saves faffing about lifting a corner at a time!

Sounds like Dave's wallet is going to get a battering. And ill remind him to stick to the speed limits for the forseable future.

LeeT5
Sunday 24th August 2014, 21:57
I'd be careful mixing discs and pads. It's a common problem where certain pads don't bode well with a different manufactured disc. try to stay the same for disc and pad.

Textar disc textar pad or OE disc OE pad.

Bones
Sunday 24th August 2014, 23:00
I see what your saying, to be honest, ive never though about doing that! Might explain why the brakes on my scooby were so pants.....

Any suggestions on what these things like as an up rated part? Brembo, black diamond? Grooved? Drilled?

LeeT5
Monday 25th August 2014, 00:00
Brembo are standard. Stick with oe.

Harvey
Monday 25th August 2014, 00:39
Best get the runout of the disc's tested.
Here's a good link to have a read up on.

http://www.bremboaftermarket.com/en/Car_Disc_Indications/Maintenance_Disc.aspx