PDA

View Full Version : Clock resetting to --:--

Scopetrekker
Thursday 21st August 2014, 06:48
Morning guys

I have a 2005 S60 D5 sport. A few days ago I noticed the clock in the instrument panel had reset itself to show this --:--

It let me reset the time and I thought it was then sorted, but on start-up the following day it had done it again!

Also the car has only just caught/started on the battery at start up a couple of times in the last few weeks.

Is the clock a sign that the battery is knackered or a sign of something more serious with the instrument cluster?

I have ordered a new battery anyway.

Any ideas?

Dream3r
Thursday 21st August 2014, 07:38
Yes, I'd say the battery is probably responsible there.

M-R-P
Thursday 21st August 2014, 07:54
That would be a symptom of DIM failure if it was a pre-2004 car, go get yourself a new battery :)

LeeT5
Thursday 21st August 2014, 09:56
I've seen this all too often, not just on late Volvo's either. As Dream3r and Martin said...Battery.

Scopetrekker
Saturday 23rd August 2014, 07:40
Many thanks guys

As suggested, new battery sorted this problem out

JamesT5
Sunday 24th August 2014, 19:22
odd you mention a clock problem because on my S60 the clock keeps going around as if I am resetting it but it doesn't stop until I fiddle with the switch. Once I do stop it, then I can reset it and it only seems to happen on start-up not whist the car is running.

I'm putting mine down to a dirty connection on the switch, you're could be a similar problem.

stribo
Sunday 24th August 2014, 19:39
odd you mention a clock problem because on my S60 the clock keeps going around as if I am resetting it but it doesn't stop until I fiddle with the switch. Once I do stop it, then I can reset it and it only seems to happen on start-up not whist the car is running.

I'm putting mine down to a dirty connection on the switch, you're could be a similar problem.

Afraid not James, the indie I used to use had a S60 which did the same, but counted backwards rather than forwards. It was the DIM.

LeeT5
Sunday 24th August 2014, 19:45

You should read the OP's original post. it's not the same as the symptoms your describing. Besides, as per his post before yours....he's already fixed the fault by doing what everyone suggested....fitting a new Vehicle battery.
I agree with Stribo...your's sounds like a faulty DIM.

stephenevans99
Sunday 24th August 2014, 19:47
MRP has a procedure for a faulty DIM.....using just the odd tool found in the shed. Sure he did a 'How-To' video.....

claymore
Sunday 24th August 2014, 19:50
MRP has a procedure for a faulty DIM.....using just the odd tool found in the shed. Sure he did a 'How-To' video.....

I believe the same can be acheived with an angle grinder. :)

JamesT5
Sunday 24th August 2014, 20:06
Afraid not James, the indie I used to use had a S60 which did the same, but counted backwards rather than forwards. It was the DIM.

D.I.M has been re-soldered and repaired when Duane had it.

stribo
Sunday 24th August 2014, 20:30

That doesn't mean it can't fail again.

LeeT5
Sunday 24th August 2014, 21:58

Took the words out of my mouth! ...and soldered joints can crack.

M-R-P
Sunday 24th August 2014, 22:50

I remember him saying one of the chips may have been soldered upside down. You'll struggle getting rid of the service warning too.

JamesT5
Monday 25th August 2014, 20:16

That doesn't mean it can't be repaired again. :haha:

JamesT5
Monday 25th August 2014, 20:18
To be honest, the clock is just an inconvenience and until the whole damn lot packs up then I shall ignore the problem until such time that I need to worry about it.

stribo
Monday 25th August 2014, 20:47
That doesn't mean it can't be repaired again. :haha:

Very true, but you can't use the car whilst it's being repaired. :P, and it's more expense spent on your money saving car.

JamesT5
Monday 25th August 2014, 20:56
Very true, but you can't use the car whilst it's being repaired. :P, and it's more expense spent on your money saving car.

So is an oil change but do I look worried. :saythat: :smileypul

stribo
Monday 25th August 2014, 21:08
An oil change is routine maintenance, a D.I.M. repair isn't. It's not a case of you looking worried, but all this expenditure on the S60 is making a mockery of the money saving theory.

JamesT5
Monday 25th August 2014, 21:12
An oil change is routine maintenance, a D.I.M. repair isn't. It's not a case of you looking worried, but all this expenditure on the S60 is making a mockery of the money saving theory.

It will save me money, a Gypsy woman told me. ;)

V70 Graham
Monday 25th August 2014, 21:27
Meanwhile the V70 sits idle ?

stribo
Monday 25th August 2014, 21:30
It will save me money, a Gypsy woman told me. ;)

I actually believe that.

JamesT5
Monday 25th August 2014, 22:24

Yes the fuel usage, wear and tear on the T5 has slowed to a crawl. :D

Harvey
Monday 25th August 2014, 22:28

Bet not as much as mine :)

stribo
Monday 25th August 2014, 22:35
It's probably as idle as your V70R, Graham's V70, and Sharkeys S60R.;)

Liddo
Wednesday 27th August 2014, 11:52

James,

Use this guy, I used him for my S60 clocks and the service was spot on, 3 days in total from me sending it to coming back.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143579

AND, your symptoms are classic DIM about to fail.............AGAIN!