PDA

View Full Version : S60 T5 Cedar Green Pearl pain in the arse

ExternalError
Tuesday 19th August 2014, 21:46
Right then been meaning to do this for a long time but never got round to it, so I've motivated myself to start a thread so here it is.

I purchased this hunk of metal in January 2014 and basically was sold on the colour.

The previous owner had already done a fair bit of work and I was eager to carry on in his footsteps.

Known Issues - Knocking from the driver side front strut, Bushes had a little play in them, CD player wont play CD's, passenger side window safety sensor faulty have to hold button to overide, clucth was very high and sharp so budgeted a new clucth in the next 18 months.
Bonuses - New piston rings, Polished and Ported head, Block shimmed, R manifold, AEM progressive kit water meth, Stainless Steel Cat back exhaust, AST Coilovers

I took my old S60 T5 down with a friend to give it the once over there were a few niggles but all in all for the price it was an honest motor.

So I started drawing up plans of what I wanted to do:

3" GWE downpipe
KL racing intercooler
Remap

So the 1st real thing I did after buying the car was the next day turn up at a meet in shrewsbury and was elated when people commented on the colour as this is what I had fallen for when 1st seeing the car.

Next off it was off to a rolling road day hosted by V70Graham down south.

I was really interested to see what it would get being a stock map but with some nice modifications, at the time I didnt have any meth to try out the meth injection so ran it on just water injection.

Heres the results
I was very happy but wanted more

So I saved a few pennies and started looking around for a suitable map and supporting mods. I was going to have the downpipe fitted 1st but a problem struck as I had popped a strut mount pushing it a little to hard round some welsh hills so I had the coilovers refurbed and refitted and all was good again but it had set my budget back a little but from the advice of a friend I went ahead with my plan to get it remaped but skipped the downpipe for now. I picked up some VXR injectors

and decided that Dreamer's map was the one that interested me the most, so off I went one morning to Shems garage in Nottingham, I dont know if any of you have been there but its not very easy to find, Shem was a great font of knowledge and gave my car the once over before doing some data logging for Dreamer to write the map. He noted that the bushes were showing a little wear so I added these to the list. Now my review of the map is just 1 word WOW it made a massive differance to the way the car picked up and felt like the boost held for longer, the trip back was eventful and I shall not incriminate my self with the top speed of the car.

1 week after the remap I was picking a friend up to go play some pool when I booted the car and nothing happened it went into limp mode and gave a air leak error code. I popped the bonnet and checked for a loose boost hose but all the clips and joins were solid but it was definitely leaking air as the system would not pressurize. So I took it to GRN for a smoke Test to find that the bottom silicon connector OTE pipe to inter cooler had split on the bottom so new bit of tubing and while it was in a full service later I was back on the road. The plan was to do the wish bones as well but GRN didnt have a press to do it so I looked elsewhere.

In the end I got a new set of wish bones and Mr Welsh pressed them in for me. I didnt think I would be able to make the EVO weekend as by then my bushes were shot with the car swaying under load but with the help of 2 great chaps on this forum Adrian and Colin who offered to do a campside swap of my wishbones I was able to make it.

Heres some Pics of the campside pit stop

All went well apart from a little mix up but luckily we spotted it.

That day we went for a little jolly up some mountain roads lets just say my driving ability was pushed and I admit I chickened out a little it didnt help that having my car lowered as much as it is did not make the journey pleasurable on those roads.

After that jaunt into wales I had popped another driver side strut mount I dont think my car likes wales but on investigation by a mechanic friend it was deemed that the AST coilovers which utilised stock mounts were at fault as they were to hard for the stock mounts and cause the damage so I had the mounts replaced to give me time to sort new coilovers.

ExternalError
Tuesday 19th August 2014, 21:54
Well with the coil over issue and the knowledge that I would need a new clucth in the next 12 months I put them 1st on my list of modifications I wanted to sort before upping the power any more.

So after reading a lot on clutches and not wanting to go for the harshness of a paddle clutch on reviews on t5d5 i decided that the AP racing clutch and Lightened fly wheel were the best fit for me.

I also picked up a set of BC coilovers

These are to be fitted next week ready for retro rides

At this point looking back having owned the car for 8 months and spent a fair bit on but for me it has been worth every penny.

I originally bought into the world of fast Volvo's to give me a hobby and something to do to help me out of some issues I was having at the time, I can say its helped lots, Its given me something other than gaming to do in my downtime I've learnt a great deal and met some great people who I class as good friends, I've had my laughs and good times and although I have never been a 1/4 mile challenger yet there's always time to explore that side of things.

ExternalError
Tuesday 19th August 2014, 22:16
Once these are fitted fingers crossed nothing else needs fixing so I can go ahead and get my down pipe and inter cooler, which with my budget looks like it will happen around november/december time.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 19th August 2014, 22:20
Nice thread Stewart, the car is a great colour and has come a long way since you've had it.
Looking forward to more updates.

Biff
Tuesday 19th August 2014, 22:23
Very nice car, looks a brilliant contrast with the alloys & the green.
The p2's look really well with the right mods.
Good to see Colin doing what he does best...
No bowler hat though Colin?

graemewelch
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 00:21
Its good to see another s60 get some tlc

Kingsford G
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 01:47
Have you had a dyno after remap?The colour is nice but the pics don`t show the real beauty just like an olive green colour.

ExternalError
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 01:55
havent had a dyno since the remap as I just havent got round to it i'd prefer it to be on a dyno day with the forum as I can have a good laugh with like minded people at the same time rather than just go run it and leave

jamesy12345
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 05:13
Like the colour

Shem's place is hard to find yes! There's only only 4 injectors there....:hidesbehi

ExternalError
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 07:34
theres another one just above the fuel rail. Its cheaper to buy them on the fuel rail than separately.

jamesy12345
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 07:47
theres another one just above the fuel rail. Its cheaper to buy them on the fuel rail than separately.

So there is, my poor attempt at early mornng humour

What is the reason for the VXRs & not the greens, similar flow rates, maybe to suit the map written?

claymore
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 07:53
About time you put a project thread up mate, and as already said, the pictures can not convey the fantastic colour,

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 08:01
Excellent start to your build thread Stewart, looking forward to regular updates as the car progresses, I'll try to get some good shots of your car at retro rides to show off its great colour and keep KG happy.

jdavis
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 08:14
Great thread!

Kingsford G
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 08:18
havent had a dyno since the remap as I just havent got round to it i'd prefer it to be on a dyno day with the forum as I can have a good laugh with like minded people at the same time rather than just go run it and leave

Maybe Mr G will organise another session for us after the gay karting day or something:D I`d be up for one

ExternalError
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 08:30
So there is, my poor attempt at early mornng humour

What is the reason for the VXRs & not the greens, similar flow rates, maybe to suit the map written?

They are 470cc where as greens i believe are 450cc and they have a better spray patten, there isnt much in them but they were 50 quid cheaper than a set of greens new so I went with them

ExternalError
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 08:31
Thanks for your comments will attempt to keep it updated as I do things

Bones
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 08:55
That colour with them wheels! actually been eyeing them wheels up for mine too, but mine being pre face lift im not sure theyd suit as well.

Theyll be getting done the same colour anyway, along with the mirror caps! On a silver car.

how much did all the clutch and flywheels setup set you back? im going to look into clutch upgrades at some point. 137k with no record of it being changed in the past....

jamesy12345
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 08:59
They are 470cc where as greens i believe are 450cc and they have a better spray patten, there isnt much in them but they were 50 quid cheaper than a set of greens new so I went with them

Cheaper & higher flow, even slightly, good enough! I was just doing some reading about them until I noticed you'd replied......early Me7 and the greens flow much less than the VXRs due constant fuel pressure. Żours is a later one I guess

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/17629-vxr-or-larger-injectors-x-5/

ExternalError
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 09:06
yeah mines a later one 2005

ExternalError
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 10:06
That colour with them wheels! actually been eyeing them wheels up for mine too, but mine being pre face lift im not sure theyd suit as well.

Theyll be getting done the same colour anyway, along with the mirror caps! On a silver car.

how much did all the clutch and flywheels setup set you back? im going to look into clutch upgrades at some point. 137k with no record of it being changed in the past....

In all around £1,100 fitted with a clutch slave cylinder as well it was a little pricey but and I could have gone for a cheaper option but I wanted to future proof the clutch for future power increases but still keep the standard feel of the oem clutch, from reviews this came the closest to my needs. When I was pricing up other alternatives I think the best I got was £800 fitted but that would have been with a paddle clutch which I did not want as i use my car as a daily in stop start trafic so didnt want an on/off clutch action. So i bit the bullet and invested a little more to get my desired outcome. I intend to keep this car for some years to come so it is worth the investment.

Also you cant see in the pics but the inside of the rims are purple, which is a nce contrast but a bugger to keep clean so most of the time you cant see the purple.

stribo
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 10:10
Great thread mate, shame it took you so long.;)

Bones
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 11:42
Is that you sticking it into a garage? How much lighter was the flywheel, and is it noticably revvier after fitting?

Id be fitting myself when the time comes, like you im not keen on runing a paddle clutch, more to keep some comfort than anything, ran them in the past on a couple of of cars and dont want the same feel out of the volvo!

That sounds quite smart with the wheels like, theres an ex plod T6 on ebay at the minute with wheels that have a black face but white insides......... and everyone whos ever ran white wheels know how hard they are to keep clean!

ExternalError
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 12:08
Is that you sticking it into a garage? How much lighter was the flywheel, and is it noticably revvier after fitting?

Id be fitting myself when the time comes, like you im not keen on runing a paddle clutch, more to keep some comfort than anything, ran them in the past on a couple of of cars and dont want the same feel out of the volvo!

That sounds quite smart with the wheels like, theres an ex plod T6 on ebay at the minute with wheels that have a black face but white insides......... and everyone whos ever ran white wheels know how hard they are to keep clean!

thats fitted at a garage.

its about 4.5kg lighter but the clutch is about 2.5kg lighter also so in total its about 7kg but the main thing is that its a single mass flywheel so is now fit and forget, I havent had it fitted yet as its been done on tuesday next week I will update this thread once its done

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 14:42
Stewart I've just noticed that your new clutch has no springs to damp the take up and with no dual mass flywheel the is no damping of the take up as you release the clutch, I concerned this will reduce the service life of your transmission components. Wobbly bought a similar clutch plate then realized this problem and changed his for a sprung plate before fitting. Just something to think about if your going for a fit and forget option.

stribo
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 15:27
Stewart I've just noticed that your new clutch has no springs to damp the take up and with no dual mass flywheel the is no damping of the take up as you release the clutch, I concerned this will reduce the service life of your transmission components. Wobbly bought a similar clutch plate then realized this problem and changed his for a sprung plate before fitting. Just something to think about if your going for a fit and forget option.
I did mention that in another thread, but apparently it'll be ok.

ExternalError
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 15:33
Thanks for the warning Ade I did notice this myself and did more resarch and asked a few questions about the setup. From what ive read having a unsprung clutch and single mass flywheel will increase vibration but it shouldnt have a adverse effect overall but I may be worng, from my research alot of modified BMW M3 use a similar setup. I'm no expert and will admit that but there are a few people on t5d5 that have been using this set up for a while now with no adverse effects so far.

From my understanding the sprung clutch reduces the vibration at idle and reduces clutch engagement noise which most people prefer over having a performance clutch. If balanced correctly with a suitable weight Single Mass fly wheel the vibration difference should be negligable. From what Ive read and been told the clucth and flywheel bundle I purchased has been matched specifically to provide an almost oem result in terms of feel but with an uprated clucth performance.

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 15:59
Good to know that you've covered it in detail,just hope it gives the longevity your hoping for, I've just spent ages dragging through Wobbly's build thread to find where he made this discovery and what he wrote about, didn't find it though.....lol

martybelfastt5
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 17:58
i really like the look of that s60 great job havent seen one that colour i think

ExternalError
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 18:07
Neither had i the best part is theres a slight pearlesence to the paint so depending on the light it sometimes looks black and others green

Ric@rdo
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 18:48
Nice car :)
I've seen those set of 4 VXR injectors on ebay but can't find the single ones. Where did you get yours?

ExternalError
Friday 22nd August 2014, 14:09
I got mine from ebay i kindly asked someone selling the ones on teh railif they would sell just 1 on its own and they agreed.

ExternalError
Saturday 23rd August 2014, 17:02
Well fitted the new front coilovers today which are the ones causing me issue I'll do the backs in the week once the clutch has been done. All went well with the passenger side nuts were torqued but not cracked on to much, nothing a little bit of fat bar steward power and off they came I couldn't move the drivers side how ever they were cracked on tight so out came the 7' scaffold pole a quarter turn and off they came. The whole job was done in 4 hours which I admit wasn't quick considering the work that needed doing was only 3 bolts on the bottom and 3 nuts on the top but being a novice I'm pretty proud of my self.

Took it to be 4 wheel aligned for the time being then will take it back once it settles in. I look at switching the backs in the week but the BC rear coilovers are different type to the old AST ones as the spring on the rear of the new ones isnt attached to the coilover so i'm in new territory there but as it stands the rears are ok as they are took it out for a little spin after getting it aligned and I am really happy with how it feels bumps in the road no longer knock teeth out but I still have almost the same ride height I had. but without scraping on the corners.

Must say Volvo really like their socket sets I think it was 7 different sized sockets/spanners used why cant they just be consistant I get the 2 different sizes so you you can counter turn them with 2 ratchets and not have to have 2 sockets the same size but 7 different one is taking the biscuit.

I had the grinder and chemical metal ready but I can safely say I didnt need to use it.

T5RatherAmusin
Saturday 23rd August 2014, 17:33
you forget something...

ExternalError
Saturday 23rd August 2014, 18:00
what pics no pics were taken because of rain and my phone being on charge at the time ill post some after pics

ExternalError
Saturday 6th September 2014, 23:44
Well clutch and flywheel fitted today i only have 1 pic as my phone died but shem took a few so ill grab them off him 1st thoughts are good no slip grips hard and spools up fast only downside is a bit of chatter when cruising and feathering the throttle in 4th but at highet revs it goes at the moment i'm very pleased but ill run it in 1st before i give my final review

prc
Sunday 7th September 2014, 09:16
What a colour this car is. Can't remember seeing it before on an S60.

ExternalError
Saturday 4th October 2014, 18:02
Well think it's time I updated this after owning the car 10 months back in Feb it made 274 bhp today it made a whopping 342 bhp it's good when all the things you do to a car come to fruition I was hoping for 320+ so I'm over the moon with what it made today

Ettienne
Saturday 4th October 2014, 18:19
About time you put a project thread up mate, and as already said, the pictures can not convey the fantastic colour,

Ain't this the truth, it's really a very nice colour, which changes in the light to almost black

V70 Graham
Saturday 4th October 2014, 18:30
Don't be modest mate, it was actually 342.5bhp lol

claymore
Saturday 4th October 2014, 18:34
Don't be modest mate, it was actually 342.5bhp lol
yep, don't forget about the half horse power, that's like an extra lawn mower pushing you :)

stribo
Saturday 4th October 2014, 19:07
Good result mate, was you running the water/meth injection?

ExternalError
Saturday 4th October 2014, 19:15
Yeah 100% meth

graemewelch
Saturday 4th October 2014, 19:55
How much boost you running on your map.

ExternalError
Saturday 4th October 2014, 20:15
Spikes to 21psi settles about 20psi or 1.4 bar

graemewelch
Saturday 4th October 2014, 20:48
What mods you running. I realy thought with meth and the ported head you would of been on the other side of 350 bhp.

ExternalError
Saturday 4th October 2014, 20:56
3" cutback exhaust need to get the downpipe done
Meth injection
Vxr injectors
Shimmed block
Polished and ported head
S60r manifold
Lightened single mass flywheel and ap racing clutch
Bc coilovers
Want to get a kl racing intercooler and the downpipe next

graemewelch
Saturday 4th October 2014, 20:58
The downpipe and intercooler will explain that then. I rekon with those two mods youll see another 20 bhp.

stribo
Saturday 4th October 2014, 20:59
3" cutback exhaust need to get the downpipe done
Meth injection
Vxr injectors
Shimmed block
Polished and ported head
S60r manifold
Lightened single mass flywheel and ap racing clutch
Bc coilovers
Want to get a kl racing intercooler and the downpipe next
Has it got Dream3rs map as well?

claymore
Saturday 4th October 2014, 21:01
Has it got Dream3rs map as well?

Yes

stribo
Saturday 4th October 2014, 21:10
Looks like I'll have to pay him a visit with the R next year.

ExternalError
Saturday 4th October 2014, 23:00
Yeah forgot to mention which map it was any way hers the dyno printout

ExternalError
Sunday 25th January 2015, 19:32
Ok time to update this I guess so yesturday I took a trip up to shems to have my new kl racing intercooler and GWE down pipe fitted. After a few hours of stripping the front off and finally getting the original intercooler out it was lucky I was changing it as the bowing at the bottom of the intercooler was really bad. Shem fitted the new KL racing intercooler which almost was a straight fit slight fettering and longer bolts were needed which were not supplied with the intercooler. He then went on to fit the downpipe and we then went out on a run to do some logging, The car felt more lively and sounded more aggressive it pulled harder at the top end, the map that was on it compensated for the new additions but as John had to go out I will be having the mapped tweaked a little to clear up some flat spots next week.

Next on the agenda is the gripper diff which will be going in next month which aside form a few minor additions will be the end of this phase of the project as I am now at the top end of the k24's capability so I will need to take stock and enjoy a years worth of work before considering pushing on further

martin_r_smith
Sunday 25th January 2015, 19:38
Bet it really shifts now mate. I look forward to seeing the difference it has made to the power. Are you going to come to Shakespeare again this year?

ExternalError
Sunday 25th January 2015, 19:46
Yeah i am i want to get a new set of tyres and the diff fitted before running the 1/4 mile

martin_r_smith
Sunday 25th January 2015, 19:49
Good plan! It's going to be nuts with a diff lol

stribo
Sunday 25th January 2015, 20:22
Nice one mate, the intercooler had probably been killed by the extra boost. Looking forward to getting the do88 intercooler for the S60R, and getting Shem to remap it.

ExternalError
Sunday 25th January 2015, 20:48
Yeah probably shem spoke to john today and gave him the 1st set of logs we did yesturday he said there is plenty of room for gains as iat's are nice and low so we have some room to play with

Dream3r
Sunday 1st February 2015, 23:45
Ok time to update this I guess so yesturday I took a trip up to shems to have my new kl racing intercooler and GWE down pipe fitted. After a few hours of stripping the front off and finally getting the original intercooler out it was lucky I was changing it as the bowing at the bottom of the intercooler was really bad. Shem fitted the new KL racing intercooler which almost was a straight fit slight fettering and longer bolts were needed which were not supplied with the intercooler. He then went on to fit the downpipe and we then went out on a run to do some logging, The car felt more lively and sounded more aggressive it pulled harder at the top end, the map that was on it compensated for the new additions but as John had to go out I will be having the mapped tweaked a little to clear up some flat spots next week.

Next on the agenda is the gripper diff which will be going in next month which aside form a few minor additions will be the end of this phase of the project as I am now at the top end of the k24's capability so I will need to take stock and enjoy a years worth of work before considering pushing on further

Sorry I had to go out mate, I had all day until 4pm but that's how things go sometimes.

I noticed the same thing with a kl intercooler. Your car is interesting to map due to the ported head.

Anyway I hope you're happy after today.

I'll pm you my observations from the new logs and calibrations tomorrow.

John.

ExternalError
Monday 2nd February 2015, 01:08
Thanks john must say the last change changed the car a fair bit doesnt feel like its holding back anymore

Ettienne
Monday 2nd February 2015, 09:27
Thanks john must say the last change changed the car a fair bit doesnt feel like its holding back anymore

Looking good! What was the cost of the Intercooler?

MoleT-5R
Monday 2nd February 2015, 12:20
Stewart, when is your diff going in and have you chosen which your having yet ??

ExternalError
Monday 2nd February 2015, 12:26
Stewart, when is your diff going in and have you chosen which your having yet ??

going with a gripper (plate) dif not sure when its being done as its all on mine and shems schedules having an opening at the same time, hopefully by the end of the month

Looking good! What was the cost of the Intercooler?

about 330 quid delivered

MoleT-5R
Monday 2nd February 2015, 12:29
going with a gripper (plate) dif not sure when its being done as its all on mine and shems schedules having an opening at the same time, hopefully by the end of the month

What made you decide on the gripper, it is very noisey in operation from my limited experience of pauls one

ExternalError
Monday 2nd February 2015, 12:48
1. I'm not really bothered with the noise
2. Shem has said they have improved the build a great deal
3. From my research on Volvospeed I wanted a gripper but looking at pricing it was just out of my budget so settled on a quaife dif instead but I got a good price on the gripper so decided for just a little extra I may as well get what I wanted in the 1st place.

Also on a side note I'm looking for some new injectors i've maxed the vxr ones out

MoleT-5R
Monday 2nd February 2015, 13:07
1. I'm not really bothered with the noise
2. Shem has said they have improved the build a great deal
3. From my research on Volvospeed I wanted a gripper but looking at pricing it was just out of my budget so settled on a quaife dif instead but I got a good price on the gripper so decided for just a little extra I may as well get what I wanted in the 1st place.

Also on a side note I'm looking for some new injectors i've maxed the vxr ones out

was just thinking the noise could get a bit much as a daily town car, know it wouldn't be to my liking in such a refined car but then I'm not driving it. On the plus side if you smash a drive-shaft at avon, at least you could still drive it home.

As for the injectors, why am I not surprised......lol :)

Dream3r
Monday 2nd February 2015, 13:46

Glad to hear it mate. The IC is doing it's job nicely, it never went over 10c at 7k in 4th, lol.

ExternalError
Monday 2nd February 2015, 14:14
was just thinking the noise could get a bit much as a daily town car, know it wouldn't be to my liking in such a refined car but then I'm not driving it. On the plus side if you smash a drive-shaft at avon, at least you could still drive it home.

As for the injectors, why am I not surprised......lol :)

Good points but with the clutch/ flywheel combo and the 3" straight through exhaust ive gone past the point of going for the less noisy option its all about power and drivability now but keeping it as reliable as possible for a daily driver its a tough balancing act that I know is going to cause me a few issues down the line but in the short term it should be fun.

ExternalError
Monday 2nd February 2015, 14:20
Glad to hear it mate. The IC is doing it's job nicely, it never went over 10c at 7k in 4th, lol.

We wont say how fast we were going there

MoleT-5R
Monday 2nd February 2015, 14:20
Good points but with the clutch/ flywheel combo and the 3" straight through exhaust ive gone past the point of going for the less noisy option its all about power and drivability now but keeping it as reliable as possible for a daily driver its a tough balancing act that I know is going to cause me a few issues down the line but in the short term it should be fun.

I'm hoping the Quaife ATB will be a fit and forget mod, don't want to be pulling the box to pieces again

Dream3r
Monday 2nd February 2015, 15:29
We wont say how fast we were going there

It's lower than your DIM says though ;)

ExternalError
Monday 2nd February 2015, 15:30
From what I've read Quaife should be fit and forget, my plate dif will need servicing/plates replacing the same as a clutch does but should be a few years between service periods.

ExternalError
Monday 2nd February 2015, 15:37
It's lower than your DIM says though ;)

It will still be fast enough even taking this into account

claymore
Monday 2nd February 2015, 17:55
It will still be fast enough even taking this into account

But will the driver be up to all this power on the Welsh roads in the summer?

ExternalError
Monday 2nd February 2015, 18:10
But will the driver be up to all this power on the Welsh roads in the summer?

depends what you class as a road that sheep track you took me up last year was not a road and ill bring my c spanners this year to raise it in preparation

T5RatherAmusin
Monday 2nd February 2015, 20:34
where you getting diff and price from dude as thats my next call lol -see if youve beat my price givin lol
and whats this about maxxing the vxrs???

ExternalError
Monday 2nd February 2015, 20:45
ah it was a misunderstanding between the term maxing im at 85% IDC at 7k in 4th shem thought john meant when he said maxed he meant 100%. Your meant to have a 15% over run just in case. From the maf readings last night i was hitting 1074 kg/h which translates to around 372 bhp give or take a margin for error be good to see what the actual figure is on the rollers

Dream3r
Tuesday 3rd February 2015, 10:31
I was surprised at that maf value, given the level of boost on the map :) (1.1-1.2 bar) The time of year will help as well to be fair. (cooler denser air). It beat my previous best on the R with the K24 (1050 odd kg/hr).

I've noticed that the R maf is a bit 'inaccurate' at these higer values, nothing to worry about but it become more evident when you are up over 1200 kg/hr. At the factory they're generally calibrated to be accurate at their intended operating range (7-900 kg/hr or so)

T5RatherAmusin
Tuesday 3rd February 2015, 16:05
only running 1.2 bar?

Dream3r
Tuesday 3rd February 2015, 16:30
Yes mate, that's what my normal 2.4 T5 map runs at.

T5RatherAmusin
Tuesday 3rd February 2015, 17:35
stews runnining 1.2 bar?

Dream3r
Tuesday 3rd February 2015, 17:44
Yes 1.1-1.2 from the logs, remember he's got a modified head. Ported and polished iirc.

I made that map to try and retain the factory torque curve (esp being FWD) and as such that was the boost I decided on after a lot of mapping and logging.

You can get a lump more of torque midrange but the K24 won't hold it anywhere near the redline, you end up with turbo diesel mode.

T5RatherAmusin
Tuesday 3rd February 2015, 17:57
well thats some going on low boost! :)

ExternalError
Tuesday 3rd February 2015, 18:17
what bar are you running then? But yeah my head is ported and polished.

Dream3r
Tuesday 3rd February 2015, 18:21
Don't get held up on boost figures too much, airflow is what counts, assuming you can fuel for it.

ExternalError
Tuesday 3rd February 2015, 18:35
Don't worry i'm not, must be interesting to map as it moves more air at less boost.

I'm very happy with the map it pulls really smoothly, I don't have the flat spots and surges I was having before and by the look of how deformed my old IC was that was probably due to high AIT's.

Just need to get the dif fitted and then enjoy it for a year. In the mean time decide where I actually want to go with it and decide between picking up a second k24 and having it machined with a hybrid ard wheel or go for a new turbo option.

Dream3r
Tuesday 3rd February 2015, 18:41
I'll have to compare it, but yeah it responds quite different.

ExternalError
Tuesday 24th February 2015, 01:02
So time for another update I had the gripper diff fitted this weekend and my initial review is its exactly what I had hoped, the wheel spinning in 1st and 2nd is sorted now it spins a little in 1st but once 1 wheel gets grip it just pulls and pulls, I love taking corners keeping the power on it just pulls it round and really hugs the corner and snaps straight on the exit feels really nice and under control. Took a bit of getting used to keeping the power full on in the bend and been dragged round the corner rather than fight with the traction control for power. The downsides and it really is minor and I'm only mentioning it to give a balanced review there's a little clicking type noise at full lock and a bit of movement feed back at full lock through the steering wheel and it sound as if my flywheel rattles a bit more when pressing the loud peddle from cruising at low revs in 5th and 6th but this could be just the same smf flywheel noise that was always there but as I was listening out for it I could hear it more.

I'll put 2 pics up of the gearbox opened up and the diff fitted later once my phone recharge. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs on the strip.

So next thing to look out for are an IPD rear anti roll bar, Rear strut brace, replace the PCV, D5 oil cooler, Powergasket intake gasket. After that its either start to look for a bigger turbo and injectors and fuel pump as I'm now at the top end of the k24 or settle for what i have and enjoy it the car currently is a dream to drive and is definatley the most powerful and best handling car i've driven

V70 Graham
Tuesday 24th February 2015, 02:37
Glad your happy with the diff, and that you are enjoying your car.

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 24th February 2015, 06:12
Nice review Stewart, look forward to the pic's and ride in the car soon

stribo
Tuesday 24th February 2015, 07:50
Glad youre happy with it mate, I'm going to need something similar for the C70.

Dream3r
Tuesday 24th February 2015, 10:24
So time for another update I had the gripper diff fitted this weekend and my initial review is its exactly what I had hoped, the wheel spinning in 1st and 2nd is sorted now it spins a little in 1st but once 1 wheel gets grip it just pulls and pulls, I love taking corners keeping the power on it just pulls it round and really hugs the corner and snaps straight on the exit feels really nice and under control. Took a bit of getting used to keeping the power full on in the bend and been dragged round the corner rather than fight with the traction control for power. The downsides and it really is minor and I'm only mentioning it to give a balanced review there's a little clicking type noise at full lock and a bit of movement feed back at full lock through the steering wheel and it sound as if my flywheel rattles a bit more when pressing the loud peddle from cruising at low revs in 5th and 6th but this could be just the same smf flywheel noise that was always there but as I was listening out for it I could hear it more.

I'll put 2 pics up of the gearbox opened up and the diff fitted later once my phone recharge. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs on the strip.

So next thing to look out for are an IPD rear anti roll bar, Rear strut brace, replace the PCV, D5 oil cooler, Powergasket intake gasket. After that its either start to look for a bigger turbo and injectors and fuel pump as I'm now at the top end of the k24 or settle for what i have and enjoy it the car currently is a dream to drive and is definatley the most powerful and best handling car i've driven

Unless you're chasing figures then the K24 is a good turbo, if you haven't got the IPD ARB then it's a brilliant upgrade but does come with it's downsides, the bushes need maintained/greases regularly. I'm going to do mine on it's annual service after learning the hard way.

There isn't much point in changing the injectors with the stock K24 imo.

ExternalError
Tuesday 24th February 2015, 10:54
Unless you're chasing figures then the K24 is a good turbo, if you haven't got the IPD ARB then it's a brilliant upgrade but does come with it's downsides, the bushes need maintained/greases regularly. I'm going to do mine on it's annual service after learning the hard way.

There isn't much point in changing the injectors with the stock K24 imo.

I was on about having to change the injectors if I decide to go for a bigger turbo, thanks for your comments on the ARB I shall have to remember to grease them regulary

Dream3r
Tuesday 24th February 2015, 11:02
Cool!

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 24th February 2015, 11:53
I should like to drive it one day to get an idea of the difference between the gripper and the quaiffe.

ExternalError
Tuesday 24th February 2015, 12:18
I should like to drive it one day to get an idea of the difference between the gripper and the quaiffe.

Id be happy to let you have a little play next meet, I wont be able to attend the 1st of march meet however as i'll be watching the rugby so maybe either the VT westlake meet or shakie at the end of march

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 24th February 2015, 12:23
Shaky end of March -as I don't have a car as of yet.

BIG G
Tuesday 24th February 2015, 12:24
Nice work stewart, enjoy :-)

ExternalError
Tuesday 1st September 2015, 21:33
Just a bump as there will be an update at the end of this month, gearbox change to a more newer revision box due to me burning the synchro out between 1st and 2nd and some more boost.

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 07:28
Just a bump as there will be an update at the end of this month, gearbox change to a more newer revision box due to me burning the synchro out between 1st and 2nd and some more boost.

how do you burn a synchro ?? or is that tech for smashing it ??....;)

ExternalError
Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 07:30
i think the technical term is worn but in a rapid fashion

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 07:53
i think the technical term is worn but in a rapid fashion

getting a tad over enthusiastic with the gear changes then Stu...??

ExternalError
Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 08:31
just a little but the new box should sort it

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 15:13
just a little but the new box should sort it

Uprated parts and nice fresh new bulk rings or just a replacement box..??

ExternalError
Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 19:19
replacement box but a newer revision from an 08 reg from what ive read on volvospeed the synchos were uprated on the 07+ boxes

Jamest5r
Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 19:21
You coming to York Stu?

ExternalError
Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 20:35
unfortunately not and I wont be able to make the cosford meet as I will be at eurogamer expo

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 21:22
unfortunately not and I wont be able to make the cosford meet as I will be at eurogamer expo

shame to hear that, but sure you'll have a good time there. Still be time to get a run or 2 in at avon before the end of the season..:)

ExternalError
Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 21:37
im hoping so wanna see if I can lay down a good time once the new turbo is fitted

Dream3r
Sunday 20th September 2015, 15:02
looking forward to see how this turns out mate.

ExternalError
Sunday 20th September 2015, 15:23
im looking forward to it as well

Dream3r
Sunday 20th September 2015, 18:13
I'd love to drive it as is tbh, looks seriously fast in the log we took.

Remember I won't see my ECM-TECH customers short.... on the map you got if you have issues lmk.