PDA

View Full Version : Renewed faith.

Quicksilver
Monday 18th August 2014, 00:19
It's been a while since I have been on here, been busy with work and the breakdown of my marriage but the R has been working hard eating up the miles.
Work and family commitments has meant that I have been up and down the M5 from Devon to Warwickshire all through July, with this in mind I had searched this forum to find a cure for my poor MPG (16/18 round town lucky if I got 20/22 on a run) from all the info I settled on replacing the pre cat lambda sensor, got a generic one off eBay for £35 give it a go I thought?!! Now I have confirmed over the seven years I've owned the R that the computer is quite accurate, well I've done five trips up the M5 covering around 1800 miles and she's averaged 29 at the normal 80 to 100mph briefly seeing 32 during a very boring spell at 50 to 70.

What's even better is since I got back into my normal short trip routine back home it's only dropped to 26!!! happy days!!!

Just given her a well deserved oil service and replaced the drivers side CV boot then she's in for an MOT next week, fingers crossed!!

Bless the old girl I love her. Thank you for listening and goodnight.

Ettienne
Monday 18th August 2014, 00:23
Got a part number for the lambda? That's a good result

Quicksilver
Monday 18th August 2014, 00:32
Just looked out the invoice and it came from JD Motorsport in Leatherhead, web address www.ricerocketuk.co.uk, part number VE381073 cost £36.93.

jamesy12345
Monday 18th August 2014, 03:57
Good luck with the MOT, the new mpg figures are about what I get on longer runs & around town (S70 T5 auto)

Quicksilver
Monday 18th August 2014, 21:58
Good luck with the MOT, the new mpg figures are about what I get on longer runs & around town (S70 T5 auto)

Booked in Thursday morning. Yes I'm well happy with the new mpg figures just hope the CO figures are okay!!

jamesy12345
Monday 18th August 2014, 22:06
Booked in Thursday morning. Yes I'm well happy with the new mpg figures just hope the CO figures are okay!!

should be fine with mpg like that! Better than a Prius :)

Quicksilver
Friday 22nd August 2014, 22:49
Well she failed the mot on an "isolating near side brake" in other words a worped disc. So new set of discs and pads going in tomorrow.

Just done a 160 mile round trip to Cornwall yesterday reset the trip computer before I set off and she averaged 29 again.

abdul
Friday 22nd August 2014, 23:12
Good to hear u enjoying the car

Quicksilver
Saturday 23rd August 2014, 22:42
Good to hear u enjoying the car
I am!! I can drive it properly now without the fuel gauge doing a wall of death!!

Another result today, I put new rear discs and pads with new fitting kit for the mot, but I had got a s/hand master cylinder to try and cure an erratic spongy feel to the brake pedal and that seems to have worked, happy days!!

So get the mot out of the way next week and on to the front brakes and that niggaly knocking from the front near side suspension that I think is the anti roll bar bushes.

Onwards and upwards!

LeeT5
Sunday 24th August 2014, 09:29
Welcome back mate!!

I think I will replace my pre cat sensor too, seeing as mine has done nearly 140k.

Ettienne
Thursday 28th August 2014, 17:26
Bump

Quicksilver
Thursday 28th August 2014, 21:59
Bump

Still sitting steady at 24mpg on my normal urban cycle.

I posted the website and part number earlier on in this thread.

Other things sorted today, Mot retest done, second hand alarm siren off the bay of E's fitted and working!! Got my Hid's on the way looking forward to fitting them.
Still got an advisory on the front brakes so looking at replacing or upgrading so I'll be searching the forum for ideas!.....I know Volvo discs and pads!!