PDA

View Full Version : Moisture from exhaust

expolicev70t5
Tuesday 12th August 2014, 09:31
I've noticed I seem to be getting a lot of moisture vapour coming from exhaust whilst sat on tick over does any one else suffer with this? At first I thought it was just because the car had started up, but now I can do a 30 mile run in it then when I stop there is the moisture visible.
I'm sure its moisture as it does not have the blue tinge you get when burning oil nor the smell, also if you rev the car it disappears until the revs settle back on tick over then the moisture re appears.
My first thought was has the head gasket gone? I checked oil filler cap and there is no sign of residue from oil and water mixing, I did notice water level had dropped quite a bit in the expansion tank bit this was still above the min level and the coolant colour was normal with no signs of oil in it. I have now topped this up and will monitor water usage.
Any Ideas??

Cheers Paul

jamesy12345
Tuesday 12th August 2014, 09:50
Although P80 car, my V70R put out quite a lot of white exhaust smoke, turned out to be the oxy sensors & cat destoryed by an agressive map

Here is my S70 at tickover, first start after a few weeks, quite a bit of smoke but is fine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AVJBcFE_hnM

expolicev70t5
Tuesday 12th August 2014, 09:55
Interesting! I was looking to get car mapped soon, I had issues with MAF which I have now replaced so it may be lamda sensor that is caput then, as CAT was new 100 cell one from GWE that I fitted end of last year

stribo
Tuesday 12th August 2014, 09:57
Totally normal, one thing the catalytic convertor produces when it converts the hydrocarbons in the exhaust is water. When an engine and exhaust is hot, it's superheated stem, that's not visible, but on start up, and whilst the engine and exhaust are warming up, the steam is cool enough, and denses enough to see.

jamesy12345
Tuesday 12th August 2014, 10:01
Interesting! I was looking to get car mapped soon, I had issues with MAF which I have now replaced so it may be lamda sensor that is caput then, as CAT was new 100 cell one from GWE that I fitted end of last year

Cat should be fine then! My video is with a 100 cell also

I've got some kind of diagnostic software that checks my lambanana sensors (OBDwiz), says they are OK, don't know if it is accurate but my mpg is OK so I BELIEVE. Yes keep an eye on the water level hope all is ok

expolicev70t5
Tuesday 12th August 2014, 10:02
Thing is I can do a 30 odd mile run so car is thoroughly warmed through yet as soon as revs drop to tick over I still see that amount of moisture even on a warm day

M-R-P
Tuesday 12th August 2014, 10:22
Could just be that the new cat is filtering the exhaust gasses less?
Keep an eye on the water level, you might have caught a potential problem early.

LeeT5
Tuesday 12th August 2014, 12:46
As Stribo says, its totally normal. I see it on mine sometimes. Nothing to worry about.