PDA

View Full Version : Engine Poly Bush

Engineer
Monday 14th November 2005, 15:28
Hi mike, hope this info helps.

Cost me £20 from www.swautos.co.uk/default.aspx (http://www.swautos.co.uk/default.aspx) but (http://www.swautos.co.uk/default.aspx%20but) postage is extra if you don’t pick up.

For S70R 98my turn wipers on and switch ignition off when wipers are pointing upwards, open bonnet partial or full tilt your choice, remove strut brace if fitted, remove the four screws (torque heads) that secure the plastic bulkhead cover (the one that surrounds the wiper arms) remove n/s wiper arm.

Gently pull cover forward to clear windscreen on n/s (mind you don’t scratch wing/bonnet corner) and put something soft underneath to give you room to work, you could remove o/s wiper arm as well and take cover completely off, but this is more work. Pull cable from clip and tuck under air intake to clear area, remove nut 15mm and bolt 13mm which secures bracket to engine mount, now remove the two 15mm nuts securing the bracket/small alloy mount to bulkhead inside under the cover, don’t loose washers. Place assembly to one side.

Ok you should now be looking at the engine mount which has a plastic outer shell void bush fitted inside it. Take a normal hacksaw blade tape up the end opposite to teeth direction (saves blood everywhere) place a suitable cloth to catch swarf and then place blade inside void bush and carefully cut through the plastic case of the bush, this only takes a minute so take care not to cut through metal engine mount, keep blade horizontal, if the note of the blade changes you are cutting metal!

The bush will then just fall out. The replacement bush is in three parts and fits as follows, lube all (supplied with kit) and fit o/s half first, then fit metal sleeve and finally n/s half making sure it is started on the metal sleeve before squeezing together. I used a small portable vice but a G-clamp and suitable sized blocks would suffice.

Re-build in reverse order.

Rufe
Tuesday 15th November 2005, 19:27
good how 2 mate. the volvo genuine bushes are no where near as good as these replacements, and much more difficult to fit (we get garages coming back to us telling us they are the wrong ones we have supplied, when they are not) these poly replacements in seperate half's are a better idea :)

colnotts
Tuesday 15th November 2005, 19:32
what is the difference???

siamblue
Tuesday 15th November 2005, 20:54
what is the difference???

The noise mate is sexy as hell when that 5 pot starts roaring, engine has virtually no movement with the poly bush.

Andrew
Tuesday 15th November 2005, 21:13
Doesn't the poly bush squeek ?

siamblue
Wednesday 16th November 2005, 00:33
Doesn't the poly bush squeek ?

No not mine. but mine isn't a hairdressers car :haha:

Luigi
Friday 18th November 2005, 23:35
The noise mate is sexy as hell when that 5 pot starts roaring, engine has virtually no movement with the poly bush.

I have fitted my poly bush today and what a difference :jaw: the roar is amazing and the 5 pot gurgle is spot on when trundling along. Best 20 quid I ever spent. :jaw:

BlackBeast
Friday 18th November 2005, 23:37
Right, im sold, i want a little more noise from the 5pot and for £20 i shall get one very soon :D

mike 850
Saturday 19th November 2005, 11:25
yeah me too, just ordered one now :B_steerin

mike 850
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 22:36
wow, just wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jod T5
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 17:49
gary, how does the poly bush increase the engine noise?? i understand it keeps the engine more rigid but cant understand why eveyone is raving about them.....i want one tho....
jod :B_steerin

SaffronC70
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 18:06
The Volvo damper is designed to stabilise and absorb engine vibration.

The stiffer poly bush holds the engine firmer; the vibration has to go somewhere, so it is transmitted into the bulkhead, giving the lovely noise inside.

Helps gear changes at high revs as well, as the gearbox will be better positioned.

Also, in my case, handling as improved !

Chris

Jod T5
Tuesday 14th March 2006, 18:10
thanks chris, a deffo top of the list mod for me then....
cheers
jod

Babybadger
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 10:07
Got there in the end. It has totally transformed the handling of the car. and I don't get the annoying thump on the gearbox changing up gear anymore at low speed. Top mod for not a lot of money.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 10:09
Got there in the end. It has totally transformed the handling of the car. and I don't get the annoying thump on the gearbox changing up gear anymore at low speed. Top mod for not a lot of money.

Just dont do any long motorway journeys!!

The constant droneing is like chinese torture on a long run

x

Babybadger
Wednesday 15th March 2006, 10:10
Just dont do any long motorway journeys!!

The constant droneing is like chinese torture on a long run

x

Like the mother in law then........ I am used to it. Funny that I was planning spain in the summer