PDA

View Full Version : possible gearbox clutch problem

rembrandt
Wednesday 6th August 2014, 18:52
Hi All

Have had my v70 D5 now for about a week and the clutch action seems a bit on the heavy side and the gear change seems notchy and not smooth at all ? is this normal or is there a possible problem? its done 136000 miles

cheers Dave

JamesT5
Wednesday 6th August 2014, 19:19
It's not normal. Check your clutch fluid and the gearbox fluid levels. If they're ok then you may need to look at a new clutch and flywheel.

JamesT5
Wednesday 6th August 2014, 19:20
Incidentally, is there any noise with it like a bearing noise? If there is then consider your clutch slave cylinder, but either way in the case of a clutch change then it all has to come off anyway so change the whole lot if you do.

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 7th August 2014, 06:21
For what it's worth, my (now my wifes) V70 D5 crunched into 3rd on the test drive with 140k miles on the clock, and the clutch has felt heavy and close to the top since I brought it. It now has 252K miles on the clock. I changed the g'box oil in it in January of this year with no improvement, but it seems no worse for wear.

The dual mass flywheel (DMF) is designed to smooth out low engine speed conditions and make gear changes smoother. I know mine is on the way out as taking off at low engine speed is lumpy and there is a distinct rattle from that end of the engine bay.

AFAIK - The clutch fluid is taken from the brake circuit i.e the brake fluid resivoir, there is no separate clutch fluid. I had all the brake fluid changed and bled through at the 4 corners and the clutch slave which did make a small difference to feel.

As ever, get the simple things checked out first:

Brake/ clutch fluid change - make sure it's bled through the slave cylinder
Gearbox linkage adjustment - any competant garage can set this up
Gearbox oil change - look around the forum for the best stuff to use. Volvo will try to lighten your wallet for their snake oil.

If there's no improvement then, at least you've done some worthwhile maintenance to your 136K mile car, and then you can start worrying about saving up for a clutch and DMF!