PDA

View Full Version : i am confused now!!!!!!!!!

TEAMWAYSIDE21
Thursday 3rd February 2005, 09:56
this is getting more confused by the minute.

let me think,there is a dash light,which os on or off

but then there is a switch,with an led light on top of it.

should that led switch be on to use tracs or off to not use.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 3rd February 2005, 10:11
TW - my 850 tracs system is diffenent to Steves (same year) so they can be very different. Does you tracs light come on the dash when you start her up? Or is your light above the tracs button?

My light comes on over the tracs button - if the button is in the on postion then the light comes on.

x

Bracer
Thursday 3rd February 2005, 11:06
Ahh the joys of not having such toys as traction and cruise etc :wink:

Sorry but I'm not the best person to help on this one :mad:

Justin
Thursday 3rd February 2005, 11:51
Right lets put this to bed.

If you have tracs, you will have a dash switch, they are similar to fog light switches in looks.

Now if your fogs are off the switch is in the off position, if you switch fogs on, you press the switch to the on position.

Tracs is different....imagine your fogs are off, switch is not pressed, thats how your tracs switch should be when you start the car.

That means you have no lights on the dash saying tracs, that means tracs is ON.

If you press the switch, (like you were putting your fogs on) you are actually switching tracs OFF and thats why you have a warning light appear on the dash, to tell you they are OFF.

If you have the warning light on the dash permanently you have a fault with the tracs.

See easy really :shifty:

Mrsmopp
Thursday 3rd February 2005, 12:11
Thats how Steves works but mine is different to that J.....

x

TEAMWAYSIDE21
Thursday 3rd February 2005, 12:17
thanks for that,but my tracs light on the dash only apprears briefly when i start the car,,BUT I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT THE LED LIGHT

LETS SEE IF I HAVE GOT THIS RIGHT!

THERE IS NO LED LIGHT SHOWING ON THE SWITCH========THE TRACS IS ON

THERE IS AN LED LIGHT SHOWING ON THE SWITCH========THE TRACS IS OFF

lance
Thursday 3rd February 2005, 14:19
On mine its different because if you want the fun button on (tracs off) you have to switch it off each time you start the engine as it defaults to be on otherwise.

Goof
Thursday 3rd February 2005, 18:51
I still think mine is busted!
No fault light, but wheels light up when wet easily.
I'll get our friendly TRACS expert to poke around sometime...!

Tomcat
Thursday 3rd February 2005, 20:29
Ok,

Just to confuse you all......

I have a 96 ex plod that didn't come with a tracs switch, I have since fitted just the switch and I can make the tracs light on the dash come on\off via the switch. So..... do I actualy have tracs or is me fitting the switch just fooling the electronics into thinking its turned off something that's not there in the first place????????...Eh? :eek:

Does anybody understand that or is it just me?.

855t5r
Friday 4th February 2005, 13:58
Ok,

Just to confuse you all......

I have a 96 ex plod that didn't come with a tracs switch, I have since fitted just the switch and I can make the tracs light on the dash come on\off via the switch. So..... do I actualy have tracs or is me fitting the switch just fooling the electronics into thinking its turned off something that's not there in the first place????????...Eh? :eek:

Does anybody understand that or is it just me?.

I think what youve got Tomcat is a case of the phantom tracs!

On mine tracs is on until you press the tracs button then a light comes on but it says tracs off!

So you could summise that if your car is fitted with tracs then its on all the time (unless its knackered) until you press the tracs button at which point it switches off!

Its crap anyway so I wouldnt even worry about it!

Ivan
Saturday 5th February 2005, 22:55
...not that I've confused everyone, and myself, countless times...but...

My manual says TRACS only operates up to 25mph, not 30mph! (who knows where I got my original 10mph from!).
Also, when I switch the TRACS button to what I thought was the "ON" position (i.e. LED comes on) I'm told it's actually "OFF", but if I drive slowly in 1st gear, there is no warning on the dashboard. However, if I speed up a little, on comes a warning on the dash "TRACS" in orange - without me even touching the button.

If I then switch the button to what I originally thought was OFF, but turns out to be ON (where the LED goes out)...the warning on the dashboard goes out too.
Geesh!

Anyway, I have experimented with TRACS "ON" and "OFF", in dry and wet conditions...and basically, I light up the tyres everytime anyway, and so it seems it doesn't really matter!

So I'm now in the position that I think I understand how TRACS 'works', even if it's not how I thought it worked - but I have discovered it does bugger all.

...and what have I gained from this experience? minus 1000 miles of tyre tread!
Oh joy ;-)

GuyD5
Sunday 6th February 2005, 23:25
...and what have I gained from this experience? minus 1000 miles of tyre tread!
Oh joy ;-)

ROTFL @Ivan

.... not got TRACS on mine and having read this thread I think I'm grateful for that, I get befuddled far too easily :)