PDA

View Full Version : New V70 D5 seriously flawed - where to go from here?

RGC
Saturday 26th July 2014, 19:10
From 760 turbo intercooler, through phase 2 v70's of different specs to this new V70 D5 auto has been quite a journey. My month old 2008 D5 has been a thrill - in many ways its awesome, but the Turbo/auto box/diesel engine are a wicked mix and create an unacceptable drive for me.
This is the first diesel I've owned and the first turbo auto - so I guess I'm in shock, and have almost been in a couple of scrapes because of the unbelievable delay in power response. I've owned Volvo's all my life and am really shocked that they have produced a car with this kind of lax performance/responsiveness. So where do I go from here?
1. A remap? I've been told by Holden Volvo in Norwich that there is no Polestar for this particular year and been to Swaffham Volvo Spares where I was advised to look into a rika remap at Wrights in Attleborough. Has anyone tried a rika stage 1 or 2 remap on a D5?
2. Do I get rid and buy a petrol phase 3 v70? Are these engines still all Volvo or does the D5 pertain only to the diesels? From what I can see all the phase 3 petrol engines still have a turbo - ideally I'd love to have just a really powerful petrol engine with no turbo....so I've been looking at the 3.2L models, anyone had any experience of these? Still a genuine Volvo engine? I know an auto box will not match up to manual instant power - but this will be a hard working work car and I'm just not into a million gear changes a day! (the 1998 v70 2.5 petrol auto I had was very quick anyway)
3. I got the new D5 for about 3.5k below the forecourt book price so I could spend some money on it, but will a remap make enough difference? It has really nasty Spartes alloys, no spoiler, needs iphone mounting and all the cargo nets.....so could spend, spend spend............would love some canicula alloys but £1400 ish????
What do you guys think?

claymore
Saturday 26th July 2014, 19:24
Waw, that was hard to read,

Ohh, and welcome to the forum.

jamesy12345
Saturday 26th July 2014, 19:30
Hello & welcome

Biggest first post ever :) got to expect a little bit of delay with an auto...

p fandango
Saturday 26th July 2014, 19:33
did you not testdrive & notice the lack of power before you bought the car?

stribo
Saturday 26th July 2014, 19:46
Blackdog would be the man to speak to, he's on his second D5 auto, and seems happy with it, I know he's had his remapped, but don't know who by. What I do know is that he's used it on the drag strip, and on the track at Castle Combe, so it can't be that bad.

V70 Graham
Saturday 26th July 2014, 20:01
I'd try a remap, £300-£400 would be a fairly cheap fix before you start looking at changing cars.

RGC
Saturday 26th July 2014, 20:04
HiGuys.....wow thanks for the responses.
@Claymore - shall I use a large size font lol....thanks for the welcome, feels like fellow geek heaven!
@jamesy - yes but me old V70 2.5 petrol 1998 auto was never caught napping like this - but it didn't have a turbo.
@fandango - sure it happened 1st time I pulled away and I was like WTF! but thought I would get used to it, also was a bit blown away with the rest of the cars awesomeness!
Guess I'm really interested in where to go from here!
What about the 3.2L there is a sexy one with only 34K on the clock for 10k ish..............I got mine for 7k with 64k on the clock, so could sell it for 8.5k and add some....temptation on one shoulder missus on the other...grrr

RGC
Saturday 26th July 2014, 20:08
Wow this such a cool forum - so many replies when I thought everyone would be on the beach or barbying. Instead you must all be waxing your motors lol......
like me haha. Mine is black pearl which is lurvely....
Who is black dog? how can I pm him...serious newbie behaviour here...ahem.

RGC
Saturday 26th July 2014, 20:10
v70 graham - thanks mate - yeah I've been told around 500 - 600 for a rika stage 1. I'd go for it in a flash if I didn't feel the need to change the alloys and get a spoiler as well!

jamesy12345
Saturday 26th July 2014, 20:35
Wow this such a cool forum - so many replies when I thought everyone would be on the beach or barbying. Instead you must all be waxing your motors lol......like me haha. Mine is black pearl which is lurvely....

It's mine & I'll polish it as fast as I like :)

To find a member look under the Community drop down menu above, then chose member list

stribo
Saturday 26th July 2014, 20:36
Wow this such a cool forum - so many replies when I thought everyone would be on the beach or barbying. Instead you must all be waxing your motors lol......
like me haha. Mine is black pearl which is lurvely....

Click on the link, then click on send private message.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/member.php?5215-Blackdog

jamesy12345
Saturday 26th July 2014, 20:44
Here is a link for Rica...take the numbers with a pinch of salt but looks like a bit of scope for a mapping rather than binning the car

http://www.rica.nl/chiptuning.php

Is it the 215 hp version?

p fandango
Saturday 26th July 2014, 21:01
I thought everyone would be on the beach or barbying. Instead you must all be waxing your motors lol......
we had the bbq for dinner, & mine only get washed when it rains

RGC
Saturday 26th July 2014, 21:08
Sadly only the 185....hold it what am I saying? That is impressively powerful once it is up and running. Worrying isn't it? Am turning into a horse fetishist! now 185 of them cannot satisfy me ffs...............where will this end up?
Yeah think you are right about going for the map, then a set of Canicula alloys, privacy tints, spoiler - hold it though could have got a petrol auto 215bhp auto with 43k on the clock for the same outlay - this is my dilemma.
Also what to make of the 3.2 engine at 235bhp, or even the AWD 3L at 285bhp? Need some background on those engines if I'm going to consider them as alternatives.

smithy
Saturday 26th July 2014, 21:17
Keep the d5 mate and get a remap that will change your negatives straight away .The is a rica and mte and also autotech too .all well known and good remaps .

jamesy12345
Saturday 26th July 2014, 21:17
Sadly only the 185....hold it what am I saying? That is impressively powerful once it is up and running. Worrying isn't it? Am turning into a horse fetishist! now 185 of them cannot satisfy me ffs...............where will this end up?
Yeah think you are right about going for the map, then a set of Canicula alloys, privacy tints, spoiler - hold it though could have got a petrol auto 215bhp auto with 43k on the clock for the same outlay - this is my dilemma.
Also what to make of the 3.2 engine at 235bhp, or even the AWD 3L at 285bhp? Need some background on those engines if I'm going to consider them as alternatives.

I couldn't bring myself to pay the road tax for the big petrols, 500 quid a year ha

T5frankie
Saturday 26th July 2014, 21:21
i have the same problem with my citroen c6, which has got the same gearbox as your volvo, the gearboxes are japanese and are not very strong and have a pretty low torque limit, the delay is to protect the gearbox from all that instant torque, (although i have had mine remapped and the delay is still there, but i know why it is there and i totally agree with you it can be dangerous when pulling out in traffic and get a 2 second delay lol

RGC
Saturday 26th July 2014, 21:32
@Smithy - thanks mate, I guess this is the kind of encouragement I'm looking for to help make this decision - or someone to rave about the 3L. I'm going to speak to the local rika supplier on Monday.
@jamesy - errr yeah that's a good point, doh. Thought ok I'll swallow the extra mpg but if tax is that much...wow!

What on earth could I do with a doggy set of Spartes alloys if I get the sexy Canicula's? Herb planters in the garden ffs? ebay I guess? Also I heard £600 to fit a spoiler....nahhh surely not. Spoiler takes the V70 to a different class imo.

RGC
Saturday 26th July 2014, 21:36
Hi Frankie - thanks for that - I was just starting to feel like a remap would solve my probs......
The delay is a freakin joke and I just can't live with it so not sure whether to think Smithy who said all my negatives would changed by a remap, or your assertion that the delay would still be there despite a remap would actually turn out in reality......

Blackdog
Saturday 26th July 2014, 22:21
Where are you based?
If you are localish I am more than happy to take you out in mine but it was the 215 twin turbo.

I will also be happy to talk face to face about remapping but not on the open forum or on pm.

smithy
Saturday 26th July 2014, 22:21
Hi Frankie - thanks for that - I was just starting to feel like a remap would solve my probs......
The delay is a freakin joke and I just can't live with it so not sure whether to think Smithy who said all my negatives would changed by a remap, or your assertion that the delay would still be there despite a remap would actually turn out in reality......

Speak to peeps who have had there car remapped also speak to the remappers too like don kalmor union ,hlm bromsgrove hamish , and chad rica agent .

RGC
Saturday 26th July 2014, 22:39
Cool thanks mate, I'm in Norwich, Norfolk, but I travel about a lot so where are you.
Well now twin turbo really would solve all my probs - didn't know Volvo had got into them.

RGC
Saturday 26th July 2014, 22:43
@smithy yeah had HLM recommended by Volvo parts in Swaffham, Norfolk just earlier. Bromsgrove is a bit of a mission from Norwich but Wrights in Attleborough was also recommended and they are about half an hour away, Rika suppliers and fitters, heard of them?

T5frankie
Saturday 26th July 2014, 23:14

im sure it is down to the actual remappers themselves whether to keep the delay or not, my bmw x5 was mapped and the delay was taken out

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 26th July 2014, 23:49
:welcome: I hope you find a remap to your liking

Redbrick
Sunday 27th July 2014, 02:31
Sounds odd to me. Have you had the codes read? Its not an engine management problem is it? Have you driven another identical model and found it to be the same? A remap isn't going to fix a fault if there is one. Are you talking about diesel lag or a definite pulling of power as you set off?

jamesy12345
Sunday 27th July 2014, 06:17
There's a discussion on the delay in the thread below...

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-13862.html

One of the points made is that the box will put itself into neutral when waiting at the lights etc

My S60 has the 6-speed geartronic box & does it also or is supposed to at least..

Quote by Julian Assange:
One aspect of the advanced nature of the electronics is at idle, it automatically selects neutral gear to reduce internal temperatures and improves fuel economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

That might be adding to the lag - the time from N to D.

M-R-P
Sunday 27th July 2014, 07:04
The xc90 was the only model not to get the twinturbo D5 engine. I've been watching the above thread on VOC and it would appear that the polestar map eliminates the delay somewhat.
Depending on the model year, there's also what Don often refers to as the "pincode banditry" meaning it's very difficult to map sone of the newer models. Worth chatting to some of the tuners imo.

The trek to bromsgrove isn't that bad when you consider the fun you'll have on the way home. 476 miles for me last time.

T5frankie
Sunday 27th July 2014, 08:22
There's a discussion on the delay in the thread below...

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-13862.html

One of the points made is that the box will put itself into neutral when waiting at the lights etc

My S60 has the 6-speed geartronic box & does it also or is supposed to at least..

Quote by Julian Assange:
One aspect of the advanced nature of the electronics is at idle, it automatically selects neutral gear to reduce internal temperatures and improves fuel economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

That might be adding to the lag - the time from N to D.

i just read that whole thread and i dont believe that n-d thing as when you put your foot on the throttle it moves instantly but very slowly you can then count to 3 before getting the rush of acceleration, i think this is why citroen quote a crap 8.9 seconds for a 0-60 in the c6 2.7d because it takes 2 seconds for it to get going properly

jamesy12345
Sunday 27th July 2014, 08:40
i just read that whole thread and i dont believe that n-d thing as when you put your foot on the throttle it moves instantly but very slowly you can then count to 3 before getting the rush of acceleration, i think this is why citroen quote a crap 8.9 seconds for a 0-60 in the c6 2.7d because it takes 2 seconds for it to get going properly

it says mine does it but if you are sat in D for a while at idle, foot on the brake, then move the selector to N you can feel the whole car move slightly - as if it was in Drive the whole time. Not sure if I explained that very well!

T5frankie
Sunday 27th July 2014, 08:54
it says mine does it but if you are sat in D for a while at idle, foot on the brake, then move the selector to N you can feel the whole car move slightly - as if it was in Drive the whole time. Not sure if I explained that very well!

if you're at a roundabout or a red light with foot on brake and the instant you let your foot off brake it moves forward it must be in drive or it wouldnt move at all, i think alot of the problem is dual parallel turbos which dont kick in till 2000rpms, had there been sequential turbos one would come in at lower rpms, that said the main issue is the gearboxes are weak so torque is limited from pull off

RGC
Sunday 27th July 2014, 10:30
Thanks for all the posts.
@redbrick - just had the car test driven by very experienced master tech and Volvo nut - he said car was behaving as it should.
The car is actually not too bad at all from a standing start, it's at its worst when you are decelerating towards a roundabout - you see an opportunity to nip out before some freakin tractor comes around - put your foot down (with the car still moving)....and nothing!!! meanwhile said tractor is bearing down on Volvo with irate farmer making obscene gestures. That or similar has happened 2 or 3 times in the month that I've owned it.

RGC
Sunday 27th July 2014, 10:47
The xc90 was the only model not to get the twinturbo D5 engine. I've been watching the above thread on VOC and it would appear that the polestar map eliminates the delay somewhat.
Depending on the model year, there's also what Don often refers to as the "pincode banditry" meaning it's very difficult to map sone of the newer models. Worth chatting to some of the tuners imo.

The trek to bromsgrove isn't that bad when you consider the fun you'll have on the way home. 476 miles for me last time.

Thanks MRP. Surely my 2008 D5 doesn't have a twin Turbo?
I'm slightly worried that I won't be able to get a remap as -just for my particular year - there was no polestar available. Mine was the change over year but hopefully Rica will still have one. I'll certainly be talking to Wrights in Attleborough just half an hour away who are Rica dealers and installers, but HLM were recommended ahead of them by the master tech guy who test drove mine the other day, so I'll phone them too. If its a standard product from Rica does it matter who installs it?
Yeah I drove to Leeds to buy this car, a good 4 hour drive down the A1 - A17, a horrible single lane rd with lots of slow trucks - you bet I had fun overtaking! for the 1st drive in d5 got it to over 125 on what is a small rd and it had plenty left I reckon.

M-R-P
Sunday 27th July 2014, 11:00
There's no twinturbo xc90s mate..

Remaps are simply a software upload and can be done by anybody with the right hardware. (it's a bit more complicated than that but you get the idea)

I hope you've just admitted to doing 125kph on a public forum as 125mph on a public road is a bit naughty ;)

jdavis
Sunday 27th July 2014, 11:01
Sounds like you need the neutral stop software that early geartronics got as an update. Stops it changing into neutral while decelerating.

T5frankie
Sunday 27th July 2014, 11:23
Thanks MRP. Surely my 2008 D5 doesn't have a twin Turbo?
I'm slightly worried that I won't be able to get a remap as -just for my particular year - there was no polestar available. Mine was the change over year but hopefully Rica will still have one. I'll certainly be talking to Wrights in Attleborough just half an hour away who are Rica dealers and installers, but HLM were recommended ahead of them by the master tech guy who test drove mine the other day, so I'll phone them too. If its a standard product from Rica does it matter who installs it?
Yeah I drove to Leeds to buy this car, a good 4 hour drive down the A1 - A17, a horrible single lane rd with lots of slow trucks - you bet I had fun overtaking! for the 1st drive in d5 got it to over 125 on what is a small rd and it had plenty left I reckon.

no phase 2 d5's had twin turbos only later phase 3 models such as blackdogs, earlier phase 3's didnt have twins and still had 185bhp

RGC
Sunday 27th July 2014, 11:34
There's no twinturbo xc90s mate..

Remaps are simply a software upload and can be done by anybody with the right hardware. (it's a bit more complicated than that but you get the idea)

I hope you've just admitted to doing 125kph on a public forum as 125mph on a public road is a bit naughty ;)

Of course Kph.........ahem :littleang

RGC
Sunday 27th July 2014, 11:42
Sounds like you need the neutral stop software that early geartronics got as an update. Stops it changing into neutral while decelerating.

Thanks - will look into this. Just to clarify...when approaching roundabouts I've gone from braking (rather than coasting) to hard acceleration - that is when the delay happens worst.
I've this car checked and checked again so thoroughly as have had some phase 2's that have been nightmares.
Main dealers reckon this has had all the updates - would the neutral stop update have been automatically installed.

T5frankie
Sunday 27th July 2014, 12:02
you can of course try this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pedal-Commander-For-Volvo-V70-D5-Throttle-Controller-for-Faster-Acceleration-/290830085980

M-R-P
Sunday 27th July 2014, 13:18
you can of course try this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pedal-Commander-For-Volvo-V70-D5-Throttle-Controller-for-Faster-Acceleration-/290830085980

Does exactly what a remap does without things like increased torque and bhp and better mpg... One of those throttle thingies plus a DTi tuning box would be ok, totalling about 300 quid... How much is a remap these days?

RGC
Sunday 27th July 2014, 13:48
Does exactly what a remap does without things like increased torque and bhp and better mpg... One of those throttle thingies plus a DTi tuning box would be ok, totalling about 300 quid... How much is a remap these days?
I've been told about 5 or 600 for a Polestar or Rica stage 1.

RGC
Monday 28th July 2014, 16:36
Well well....had quite a day of investigation when should have been working :slap:
Spoke to a Rica agent who has stopped installing them because its so hard to get past security, described lack of responsiveness and he mentioned the going into neutral or idling when decelerating like some of you have soooooo...........

Spoke to Premier Transmissions about the possibility of the box going into neutral, thus being slow to pull away, but he ruled this out as the engine is not even revving when foot is down. So it's a response/torque thing so................

Thought I'd have another bash at finding a Polestar remap (after my local dealership saying there wasn't one for my year) so spoke to another main dealer who said YES there was one for my year and it should sort out the responsiveness, but only gain 20bhp for the princely sum of £650. Wasn't really sure that they were sure it would sort the acceleration thing so :nut:............................

Thought I'd speak to Hamish at HLM...described the lack of acceleration thingy and he said 'aaaahhh the dead zone!', he knew all about it and said there was one XC90 in particular which was really badly affected by it. He also said 'no probs come over and I'll give you 215bhp which will sort your responsiveness thing and go like *%*! off a stick'...or words to that effect, and it'll cost you £250!!!:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Looks like its a trip to Bromsgrove then :cool:....anyone else on here been to Hamish?

M-R-P
Monday 28th July 2014, 16:41
Haha, that sounds like Hamish. He's an entertaining lil fella.
He likes a good rant and is willing to explain the ins and outs of a cat's arse if you're interested.
Had mine mapped there last year and I'm more than happy with it.

V70 Graham
Monday 28th July 2014, 16:45
Looks like its a trip to Bromsgrove then....anyone else on here been to Hamish?

Hamish is one of those guy's who people either love or hate, tbh I find him knowledgeable and entertaining, he did ok with M-R-P's ex-plod a while back I'm sure he'll be on to tell you all about it.

V70 Graham
Monday 28th July 2014, 16:46
....too late again !

M-R-P
Monday 28th July 2014, 16:47
:cuckoo:

RGC
Monday 28th July 2014, 16:51
Hamish is one of those guy's who people either love or hate, tbh I find him knowledgeable and entertaining, he did ok with M-R-P's ex-plod a while back I'm sure he'll be on to tell you all about it.

Yeah he was funny on the phone....I said something like 'been warned against non Volvo remaps as it messes with reading data from vida afterwards' to which he said something like 'tell me about the tooth fairy then, or santa'. Wasn't sure what to make of that at first but was quite funny, then he started to talk about his work and I got the impression he knew his stuff.
So he comes on this forum....whats his moniker?

merc85
Monday 28th July 2014, 16:56
Ive heard of those pedal commander's too, and they are supposed to work ie take out same of the delay. There is also a small delay with the Merc if i Kick down to "wot"

M-R-P
Monday 28th July 2014, 16:59
Yeah he was funny on the phone....I said something like 'been warned against non Volvo remaps as it messes with reading data from vida afterwards' to which he said something like 'tell me about the tooth fairy then, or santa'. Wasn't sure what to make of that at first but was quite funny, then he started to talk about his work and I got the impression he knew his stuff.
So he comes on this forum....whats his moniker?

I think he's posted once in about 2 years. I think he got fed up with people picking arguments with him. He lurks about in stealth mode but doesn't post a lot.
A lot of members here use HLM a lot for larger/better/faster projects than mine and have plenty of time for the guy.
However, a collaboration with another ex-member resulted in some bad press 7-odd years ago (which I'm sure you'll hear about in due course) and it still gets dragged up from time to time. Thing is, look into the history of any tuner and you'll find horror stories.

RGC
Monday 28th July 2014, 17:08
Cheers MRP.
TBH he's been recommended by a few people so I'm resolved to go there. It's just I've been warned off of non Volvo remaps a bit too and there are no written guarantees with HLMs work so I'm always looking for background on the prospect.
For sure everyone has bad experiences and you can go mad agonising and reading reviews like I do on amazon before buying something. For my own business I have loads of good google reviews but I know just one bad one can be enough to put people off. Will write up what happens when I do go there in the next week or 2.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 28th July 2014, 17:15
I've been using HLM so much over the last 10 years I now get discounted abuse. He's remapped pretty much every car I've owned. I've been using his diesel remap on my S40 R-Design (2008) 2 litre french unit for the last 3 years and very nice it is too.

Am I allowed to get out my workboot eating Hamish video yet?

I know that Hamish is currently working with 2 BTCC teams - if that is endorsement enough - and we have a RR meeting at HLM in the autumn

claymore
Monday 28th July 2014, 17:17
But to put across another opinion, I wouldn't let him near my car :), ask him about water injection ;)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 28th July 2014, 17:18
WI doesn't work. (Popcorn time)

V70 Graham
Monday 28th July 2014, 17:21
I've been using HLM so much over the last 10 years I now get discounted abuse. He's remapped pretty much every car I've owned. I've been using his diesel remap on my S40 R-Design (2008) 2 litre french unit for the last 3 years and very nice it is too.

Am I allowed to get out my workboot eating Hamish video yet?

I know that Hamish is currently working with 2 BTCC teams - if that is endorsement enough - and we have a RR meeting at HLM in the autumn

But to put across another opinion, I wouldn't let him near my car :), ask him about water injection ;)

Told you, love him or hate him lol

claymore
Monday 28th July 2014, 17:23
I see a thread derailment any minute now.....lol

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/forum%20stuff/panda-eating-popcorn_zpsfd82df34.gif (http://s170.photobucket.com/user/claymore2k/media/forum%20stuff/panda-eating-popcorn_zpsfd82df34.gif.html)

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/forum%20stuff/derailed.jpg (http://s170.photobucket.com/user/claymore2k/media/forum%20stuff/derailed.jpg.html)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 28th July 2014, 17:26
LMAO! Just wait until Mr. Greenfield jumps in! Hamish has divided opinion so thoroughly that you could argue they set up an entire forum dedicated to the subject?

M-R-P
Monday 28th July 2014, 17:27
The way to look at it is - it'll be an off the shelf map...

what's the worst that can happen... :D

Blackdog
Monday 28th July 2014, 18:41
And rememder the map can always be removed if needed.....

Mine has been main stealer serviced twice now to no ill effect.

All you do is tell them no software updates.

It has also had warranty work done as well that did include software work on the infotainment system.

No questions were asked.

smithy
Monday 28th July 2014, 20:49
I've been to hlm for years too no probs here and I had a rica map on my v70 2.5t by them and that thing used to fly .

RGC
Monday 28th July 2014, 20:59
This is all great reassurance guys thank you. I've had a bit of a mare driving phase 2 1998 - 9 2.5 autos and 2.4 turbos with engines being replaced ABS and ETS problems, eeurgghh - enough! So I went for broke in paying for this D5 in cash and am blown away with it - except for this lag thing.
As a wounded Volvo owner I'm really grateful of your encouragement, Im praying that this remap can make my switch to a 'proper' modern Volvo free of negatives, as I love everything else about this car and the lag is its only detractor.
If this works a new set of Canicula alloys, window tints, spoiler, all the cargo nets and mobile iphone cradle will follow!
The wanting never stops!

M-R-P
Monday 28th July 2014, 21:32
Pop down south sometime mate, I'll restore your faith in the older V70 :)

Nealevo
Monday 28th July 2014, 21:46
I too have HLM for years and wouldn't take my car anywhere else. Always steers me in the right direction when others just want your cash.

LiamT4
Monday 28th July 2014, 21:54
Im surprised it so laggy to be honest, i've been in many turbo'd autos and the only laggy ones tend to be the bigger turbo'd, petrol ones. I'd of thought its more of a software issues than hardware, nothing that a good remap wouldn't cure.

Although, if you want instant response in an auto, go for a big V8. Autos and big v8s are made for each other.

jamesy12345
Monday 28th July 2014, 22:02
Im surprised it so laggy to be honest, i've been in many turbo'd autos and the only laggy ones tend to be the bigger turbo'd, petrol ones. I'd of thought its more of a software issues than hardware, nothing that a good remap wouldn't cure.

Although, if you want instant response in an auto, go for a big V8. Autos and big v8s are made for each other.

16Ts & auto boxes go well also :)

Blackdog
Monday 28th July 2014, 22:54
As does 538 Nm @ 1500 rpm

RGC
Tuesday 29th July 2014, 07:45
Pop down south sometime mate, I'll restore your faith in the older V70 :)

Might well do that......I'm in Norwich but have to come down Lymington way for work sometime in next couple of months, will pm you. I had some great experiences in phase 2's, my faves were the 2.5 auto with no turbo - didn't need one, with sport and winter buttons. Outstanding performance and possibly the best looking estate car ever built (the later rounded v70 version). I had a dark blue 1998 with tinted windows and had always been driven hard by previous owners I reckon, I had some mechanics say that it was quicker than some T5's they'd driven.
The thing I love about these cars on top of what I just said is how comfortable and slick the interiors were...and what you can get in em! I design and build gardens and I can get about £800 worth of rare plants from some far flung specialist nursery in the back, driving there and back quickly and in style and comfort. Same with tools.....2 wheel barrows, skills saws, saw benches huge tools boxes. Get the lot out, give it a quick hover and it's as good as new. People used to say why don't you get a van...hahahaha what a joke - can't stand vans.
I'm off the tools these days and just design, but pulling up at a big country house on the gravel drive - the car looks the part for getting design work, and occasionally will get used for my pleasure which is plant buying. Could never own anything but a Volvo.:smlove2:

M-R-P
Tuesday 29th July 2014, 07:59
Ah yes, I know Lymington well. There's a good nursery there (probably where you go for work?)

When I got my ex-plod, it was a dog - knackered brakes, suspension, interior, engine problems, failing speedo... but it was still comfy and the plod suspension meant it could take speed bumps at 40 :)

4 years and about £4k later and she's not quite as comfy around town due to the suspension modifications but she goes like stink (kept up with a E46 M3 on sunday ;) ), has a nice (if bordering on chavvy) interior and stops on a button. I can throw a load of fishing gear and a pair of bikes in the boot without it invading passenger space too which is nice :)

There's not many cars that'll do over 150mph with an Ikea kitchen in the back :D

T5frankie
Tuesday 29th July 2014, 13:36
Just remember that the box's limit is 440nms and the delay is there to protect the gearbox

jamesy12345
Tuesday 29th July 2014, 13:41
Just remember that the box's limit is 440nms and the delay is there to protect the gearbox

I saw that on the wikipedia site........was planning a 500+ Nm remap/exhaust.....

simonc
Friday 15th August 2014, 21:23
My wife has had her 2009 185bhp D5 R Design from about a year old. We traded in the 300bhp manual V70 R at the time and I know what you mean about the delay from stand still. We only ever bought it for economy and comfort / space , I've got so used to it after covering over 50k in it. It's one of the best cars we've ever owned. So versatile.

Luckily I have a V10 M5 also so never felt the need to map the V70.

Simon.

smithy
Friday 15th August 2014, 22:30
My wife has had her 2009 185bhp D5 R Design from about a year old. We traded in the 300bhp manual V70 R at the time and I know what you mean about the delay from stand still. We only ever bought it for economy and comfort / space , I've got so used to it after covering over 50k in it. It's one of the best cars we've ever owned. So versatile.

Luckily I have a V10 M5 also so never felt the need to map the V70.

Simon.i think the m5 does help lol

simonc
Monday 18th August 2014, 12:01
The M5 does help LOL.

I drove an XC90 with the twin turbo setup and no delay from stand still. I have also been told that a re map will help a lot with delay issue.

Mark2cars
Monday 29th September 2014, 18:01
Hi RGC,
Did you ever fix your power lag problem - I notice a similar thing in my 2008 C70 D5 185 HP having just changed from old 2002 model. I posted about it under General Technical Issues then saw your post under P3 models..http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?57585-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-change-2008-V70-D5
I had thought it might be down to ATF needing a change, but found your thread very interesting. Did you get it remapped in the end and did it work??
Mark

T5frankie
Monday 29th September 2014, 18:05
this is an issue with most big turbo diesel cars with auto boxes