PDA

View Full Version : Not a nice end to my most recent Volvo

crazy badger
Friday 25th July 2014, 16:53

I'd only popped out for lunch and spotted another failed bulb in the DIM on the way back to work. Thought I smelt burning as I was parking up, so jumped out and opened the tailgate to take a look at the bulbs, but noticed small flames from the roof lining. Stupidly tried to put out with my hand, and after burning myself decided against any other heroic nonsense so shut the boot and ran/called for help. Fire brigade arrived after about 5 minutes but there wasn't much left :(

Only got it in January as a replacement for a T5 I'd been running for 4 years with almost 250k on the clock. This had about 135k, everything was working well and I was enjoying all the toys my T5 lacked (especially the air con given the recent warm spell!)

On the hunt for a replacement now...

T5frankie
Friday 25th July 2014, 16:57
££££ mate, thats bad luck, could of been worse........i think

V70 Graham
Friday 25th July 2014, 17:12
Will it not polish out ?

Hard luck mate, but at least nobody was inside.

Redbrick
Friday 25th July 2014, 17:40
Have you taken out the cars either side as well?

Lucky escape, glad kids weren't in there.

stribo
Friday 25th July 2014, 19:30
As above, lucky no-one was in the car at the time. Looks like ali bonnets don't like heat.

stribo
Friday 25th July 2014, 19:32
Have you taken out the cars either side as well?

Lucky escape, glad kids weren't in there.

The Saab looks a little singed, the car on the other side looks totalled.

Saaamon
Friday 25th July 2014, 19:43
Sorry to hear this, do you know what caused it?

stephenevans99
Friday 25th July 2014, 19:47
Looks like ali bonnets don't like heat.

Fire Service gaining access no doubt....

A sad day mate but at least no-one was seriously injured.

JUDGENINJA
Friday 25th July 2014, 19:52
Looks like the return of the heated seat faults that plagued the 850s

Santa
Friday 25th July 2014, 20:01
Oh god!.......I mean....eeerrrr.........oh god!

Glad you're ok but that terrible :(

Harvey
Friday 25th July 2014, 20:06
Glad you're ok shame about the car.

stribo
Friday 25th July 2014, 20:07
Looks like the return of the heated seat faults that plagued the 850s

Reading the OP's description, I'd say it's the wiring loom that goes into the tailgate, there have been a lot of accounts of them chaffing, which is why the rear wiper doesn't work. I think Harvey did a how to, on repairing them.

Harvey
Friday 25th July 2014, 20:17
Reading the OP's description, I'd say it's the wiring loom that goes into the tailgate, there have been a lot of accounts of them chaffing, which is why the rear wiper doesn't work. I think Harvey did a how to, on repairing them.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?53005-Harvey-s-Sonic-V70R-Resting&p=653883&viewfull=1#post653883

Glad I did replace the harness when I saw this thread.

M-R-P
Friday 25th July 2014, 23:16
Rear wiper fails because the motor/gearbox assembly is crap, however the wiring loom is well known for chafing and causing problems. Could just be a buildup of dust around the festoon light.

What counts is everybody got out and there were no major injuries.

A 2003 V70... Burnt to a crisp... Hurts, really not nice, not like.

Hopefully the insurance pays out mate.

stribo
Friday 25th July 2014, 23:55
Rear wiper fails because the motor/gearbox assembly is crap, however the wiring loom is well known for chafing and causing problems. Could just be a buildup of dust around the festoon light.

What counts is everybody got out and there were no major injuries.

A 2003 V70... Burnt to a crisp... Hurts, really not nice, not like.

Hopefully the insurance pays out mate.

I suppose that's Fords fault. :P

abdul
Saturday 26th July 2014, 00:12
Good to hear nobody got hurt

Chad
Saturday 26th July 2014, 06:26
wow! glad no one was hurt...

JamesT5
Sunday 27th July 2014, 15:32

I'd only popped out for lunch and spotted another failed bulb in the DIM on the way back to work. Thought I smelt burning as I was parking up, so jumped out and opened the tailgate to take a look at the bulbs, but noticed small flames from the roof lining. Stupidly tried to put out with my hand, and after burning myself decided against any other heroic nonsense so shut the boot and ran/called for help. Fire brigade arrived after about 5 minutes but there wasn't much left :(

Only got it in January as a replacement for a T5 I'd been running for 4 years with almost 250k on the clock. This had about 135k, everything was working well and I was enjoying all the toys my T5 lacked (especially the air con given the recent warm spell!)

On the hunt for a replacement now...

My goodness! I've got mixed feelings here, firstly I'm feeling totally gutted for you as I can't imagine the heartache of seeing your pride and joy end like this. It's a very sad scene, especially being a P2 owner myself it hits the heart. I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt (I know you burnt your hand though).

Secondly this does worry me that this could happen to any of us with a P2, no warning. Perhaps we should all lobby Volvo for a recall on the cars to get this problem investigated and rectified, regardless of car age because it is obviously a design flaw with the wiring in the car, an inherent manufacturing flaw that was present when they were built.

Anyway, I'm shocked and saddened by this, I hope you get it sorted out. Keep us all updated, please. :tombstone :shockedbi

jdavis
Sunday 27th July 2014, 17:09
Gutted for you
Hoping you have a speedy recovery with your hand
If it was the wiring as it passes through the hinge then it was a problem long before the p2 v70 was released

p fandango
Sunday 27th July 2014, 17:20
If it chafs enough to go thru the insulation it'd pop the fuse as soon as the live touches the earth of the body

JamesT5
Sunday 27th July 2014, 17:42
Trying to find a shoot of hope.....

If there was more of the car left then you could have broken it for spares and scrapped the rest. Unfortunately there's not a lot left although the engine may be ok, it depends if the fire has damaged the 'fire wall' (key in the name there). The front headlights, fog lamps and front bumper trim may well be salvageable. Not so sure about the wheels, they may have warped or cracked with the heat.

I'm guessing the insurance will pay out the car's value and I'm sure there'll be a member on here who may be able to help source you a replacement. Iirc, the car belongs to the insurance company once the claim is made so any salvageable parts will go with the car, I guess.

evo230
Monday 28th July 2014, 12:06
Holy crap! I'm really gutted for you, but very pleased that you are ok. Amazing how quickly car fires spread.

evo230
Monday 28th July 2014, 12:07
I suppose that's Fords fault. :P

Do we not get to blame Ford for everything anyway?

stribo
Monday 28th July 2014, 12:29
Do we not get to blame Ford for everything anyway?

Not on my watch.;)