PDA

View Full Version : Umm my next project......

oblark
Saturday 19th July 2014, 18:38
To make my car even more of a one off I`ll be adding these shortly

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u433/oblark/volvo%20850%20t5/M4%204%20flashing/20140719_150646.jpg (http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/oblark/media/volvo%20850%20t5/M4%204%20flashing/20140719_150646.jpg.html)

merc85
Saturday 19th July 2014, 18:43
whats the advantages of runing coil packs?

oblark
Saturday 19th July 2014, 18:50
The advantages of coil packs are less chance of spark blow out at high boost,

T5frankie
Saturday 19th July 2014, 18:53
usual cosworth upgrade this, so must work

theflyingbrick
Saturday 19th July 2014, 21:58
very nice,i looked into coil packs with that software as it would be easier to fit the engine the right way round without the hassle of the distributor getting in the way ;)

oblark
Sunday 20th July 2014, 18:43
I thought this thread would get a bit more interest..................................... but then again it`s not shiney.

p fandango
Sunday 20th July 2014, 18:53
i think about coil-packs, but my launch control wouldn't work then so sticking with the MSD coils & amplifier

ps i don't bother updating anything on here anymore

stribo
Sunday 20th July 2014, 18:58
I thought this thread would get a bit more interest..................................... but then again it`s not shiney.

Maybe you should clay bar them. ;)

martybelfastt5
Sunday 20th July 2014, 23:43
seen a few running them across the forums intresting thought it was down to life span

RichT4
Monday 21st July 2014, 07:51
Maybe you should clay bar them. ;)
Paint them yellow and then show up this Sunday with a clown suit on :)
That'll be the talk of the month..

M-R-P
Monday 21st July 2014, 08:01
Mine's got coil packs :D

Expensive buggers when they pack up.

960kg
Monday 21st July 2014, 10:51
The spark is not blown out, it just can't jump the spark plug gap under cylinder pressure.

Outside the combustion chamber you should be able to jump a 1/2' to 3/4" gap.

Inside it may not jump more than 0.0300"

My 960 6 cylinder had individual coils and it was not turbo .......it just makes the motor more reliable.

But having said that who has had the single coil go on the T5 as they are super reliable.

My previous S40 GDI has individual coils but no turbo .....it is worthy of all the coils as the compression ratio is 12 to 1.

May be fitting all these coils may be just a waste of time and money and could introduce more difficulty in finding a misfire when i had a coil go on the 960!!

oblark
Monday 21st July 2014, 10:57
The spark is not blown out, it just can't jump the spark plug gap under cylinder pressure.

Outside the combustion chamber you should be able to jump a 1/2' to 3/4" gap.

Inside it may not jump more than 0.0300"

My 960 6 cylinder had individual coils and it was not turbo .......it just makes the motor more reliable.

But having said that who has had the single coil go on the T5 as they are super reliable.

My previous S40 GDI has individual coils but no turbo .....it is worthy of all the coils as the compression ratio is 12 to 1.

May be fitting all these coils may be just a waste of time and money and could introduce more difficulty in finding a misfire when i had a coil go on the 960!!

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?56824-V70-M4-4-running-COP-(Coil-On-Plug)

Qoute from the above thread

"After some testing, I'm going to give my opinion on the COP conversion.
Idle seems smoother
cruise seems smoother
the pull through the rev range seems so much stronger, even at high RPM
Is it worth doing, definitely."

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 21st July 2014, 11:17
interesting. not the easiest thing to do . be interested to see if any gains can be measured in terms of power .

960kg
Monday 21st July 2014, 20:03
No not the easiest thing to do!......and for what?

"After some testing, I'm going to give my opinion on the COP conversion.

Idle seems smoother

cruise seems smoother

the pull through the rev range seems so much stronger, even at high RPM
Is it worth doing, definitely.
I have eliminated most of my knock just by converting to COP

The only issue I have is a starting issue, Will keep on turning over and pop through the exhaust, May take a couple of attempts before starting

Surely "seems" is not really good enough but Good Luck.

richcoad89
Tuesday 22nd July 2014, 14:44
I find this quite interesting, using this engine in a rwd setup in kit cars or engine swaps, the distributor gets in the way of the bulk head..

I don't see many other advantages though......

oblark
Wednesday 23rd July 2014, 07:17
I find this quite interesting, using this engine in a rwd setup in kit cars or engine swaps, the distributor gets in the way of the bulk head..

I don't see many other advantages though......

Points, rotor arms and distributors are all old technology thats why modern cars have coil packs.

improved spark which improves fuel efficiency and less rotating parts to wear.

oblark
Wednesday 23rd July 2014, 20:59
Well I now have the Bin file for the cop`s,

Just waiting for the ecu arrive then it`s off to Avintlarge to do tthe soldering.

stribo
Wednesday 23rd July 2014, 21:01
Look forward to hearing what you think of the results. :D

MoleT-5R
Thursday 24th July 2014, 00:14

the interesting bits in a quick car aren't shiney, the shiney bits only attract magpies and vultures

i think about coil-packs, but my launch control wouldn't work then so sticking with the MSD coils & amplifier

ps i don't bother updating anything on here anymore

It's a shame you don't bother updating your thread and also possibly why Rob gets a little niggled, about people not commenting on his thread, but you lot are operating on a level well above most of us, we read what you post ( most often more than once, to try and get are head around these great developments), most members wouldn't comment as they are only just able to get there heads around the ideas that your both putting forward and not feel able to contribute to your thread, but if you stop in posting up your amazing moves forward ( and occasionally backwards ) the folks on here that are not up to speed with your progress will never get the motivation or knowledge to improve their cars....keep up the great work your doing, we are slowly getting are heads around the technical bits... and hopefully in future more people will show they appreciate your regular updates, as I know I will.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 24th July 2014, 00:19
Rob - don't ever think I'm not interested in your posts.. Apologies for not jumping up and down at a photo of your coil packs...

I am interested in the results and please keep this thread updated with your progress..

Too be honest I like the polished threads, but I don't comment in those either!!!

theflyingbrick
Thursday 24th July 2014, 09:57
the interesting bits in a quick car aren't shiney, the shiney bits only attract magpies and vultures

It's a shame you don't bother updating your thread and also possibly why Rob gets a little niggled, about people not commenting on his thread, but you lot are operating on a level well above most of us, we read what you post ( most often more than once, to try and get are head around these great developments), most members wouldn't comment as they are only just able to get there heads around the ideas that your both putting forward and not feel able to contribute to your thread, but if you stop in posting up your amazing moves forward ( and occasionally backwards ) the folks on here that are not up to speed with your progress will never get the motivation or knowledge to improve their cars....keep up the great work your doing, we are slowly getting are heads around the technical bits... and hopefully in future more people will show they appreciate your regular updates, as I know I will.

youve hit the nail on the head there mate,my knowledge of the"technical" bits is very limited as im just a humble spanner monkey,thats why i like the thanks button as it indicates my acknowledgement and appreciation of certain posts without the fear of asking silly,and sometimes irritating questions,im always interested in what rob does as he seems to do his own thing where as i just go down the well trodden path!! anyways i shall continue to read the threads that i have no understanding of or have any input and like you said ,i hope because of our supposedly lack of interest this doesnt stop the brainiacs posting/updating their threads ;)

M-R-P
Thursday 24th July 2014, 10:09
Rob tells me first-hand what he's up to and some of it I understand, even though I can't keep up and I've no use for the information, it's still interesting. And the fact that Rob's an "old dog" learning new tricks is nothing but impressive. (he'll probably slap me for using that term lol). I can only make silly comments on the threads as I have nothing helpful to contribute but it shows I'm reading it :D (and I've got sod all better to do :shifty:

It would be nice to see some updates on Pedro's noisy garden ornament but I think he's too busy damaging his beemer ;)

MoleT-5R
Thursday 24th July 2014, 20:11
Rob tells me first-hand what he's up to and some of it I understand, even though I can't keep up and I've no use for the information, it's still interesting. And the fact that Rob's an "old dog" learning new tricks is nothing but impressive. (he'll probably slap me for using that term lol). I can only make silly comments on the threads as I have nothing helpful to contribute but it shows I'm reading it :D (and I've got sod all better to do :shifty:

It would be nice to see some updates on Pedro's noisy garden ornament but I think he's too busy damaging his beemer ;)

He's probably filling the passenger footwell with a nice oily gearbox and scattering Maccy's wrappers and crisp packets willy nilly, for the BMW version of JamesT5 to clean out and make a thread about on a Beemer forum when had tires and flogs her on ....lol

p fandango
Friday 25th July 2014, 15:25
He's probably filling the passenger footwell with a nice oily gearbox and scattering Maccy's wrappers and crisp packets willy nilly, for the BMW version of JamesT5 to clean out and make a thread about on a Beemer forum when had tires and flogs her on ....lol
its only progressed to the Maccy's wrappers so far, i have got to pick an engine up tho lol. & they don't like me on the Beemer forums, i told them its not a patch on the Volvo's i'm used to lol

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 25th July 2014, 16:32
that's one way to stand out on a bmw forum lol

oblark
Friday 25th July 2014, 18:07
Rob - don't ever think I'm not interested in your posts.. Apologies for not jumping up and down at a photo of your coil packs...

I am interested in the results and please keep this thread updated with your progress..

Too be honest I like the polished threads, but I don't comment in those either!!!

youve hit the nail on the head there mate,my knowledge of the"technical" bits is very limited as im just a humble spanner monkey,thats why i like the thanks button as it indicates my acknowledgement and appreciation of certain posts without the fear of asking silly,and sometimes irritating questions,im always interested in what rob does as he seems to do his own thing where as i just go down the well trodden path!! anyways i shall continue to read the threads that i have no understanding of or have any input and like you said ,i hope because of our supposedly lack of interest this doesnt stop the brainiacs posting/updating their threads ;)

Thank you for the kind words (well almost all of them, less of dog :) )

More updates soon as the V70R ecu arrived today so it will be off to Paul (Avintlarge) for the mods to the PCB.

Hope to have it up and running by August`s southern meet :)