PDA

View Full Version : mysterious click or crunching sound?

hemihusky
Saturday 12th July 2014, 12:58
Hey there so i only just started to notice this today with the windows down. my car seems to have developed a almost cunching sound when the engine is put under load/spun up at first i thought it was something cluch as it would do it when you shift. but today i could get it to do it by loading it up going uphill. and it sounds more like a crunch, could this be the engine mount bushings just slowly eating themselves? as their still all stock volvo to my knowledge with 126,000 on the clock. or is this something i gotta look deeper for?

the sound is comming pretty strongly from the passenger front side. so i was thinking either top engine mount or the transmission mount?

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 12th July 2014, 16:23
The CV joints click when worn, could be that, they don't cost too much to replace.

Otherwise get all the mount checked over

hemihusky
Saturday 12th July 2014, 19:09
alritey thanks mate. didnt think cv joints at first. and come to think of it, that side that has the clicking has had a new boot put on it, but i wonder if its just a new boot n the joint itself is worn?

stribo
Saturday 12th July 2014, 19:34
alritey thanks mate. didnt think cv joints at first. and come to think of it, that side that has the clicking has had a new boot put on it, but i wonder if its just a new boot n the joint itself is worn?

Could be, though the clicking would normally be more prevalent if you have lock on, does it do it more when turning, or the same whether turning or straight.

hemihusky
Saturday 12th July 2014, 20:48
same if turning or straight. (hadda go out n check) but theres no grinding noise to indicate its like a cv joint like normal. it seems to be if i load the engine up, eg if your harsh on the throttle it will do it, when you hit the torque band it will. or on occasion if you downshift n let the clutch out hard it will click, thats why i thought engine mounts/bushings or something on that side giving up.

stribo
Saturday 12th July 2014, 20:50
Yeah, check out the top mount, and bottom torque mount then.

hemihusky
Saturday 12th July 2014, 21:12
just had a quick poke, i can see slight daylight through the top engine mount bush so i doubt thats good. cant really tell how bad the under torque mount is (Thankyou new R bumper) so ill change the top bush n see if the noise goes away, cheapest thing first XD

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 13th July 2014, 10:36
Poly bush it :D