PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded throttle body....Yawn

willsalisbury1984
Friday 11th July 2014, 08:03
Hi guys,

Hope you all well and again thank you so much in advance for any help offered.

Question is: ETM replacement or recondition?

If recondition then how many hours you looking at for removal and refit?

If replace then.......every forum, page, manual etc all is divided over a new ETM being re-programmed.

If I buy a new ETM off fleabay will it need to be programmed?

A new one will be here in a day or two so take 1 out put new 1 in, back on road. Will be quicker than sending off for recondition BUT if new one doesn't match car then I may as well recondition mine.

Swedespeed, HPVC, Volvo Forum, Mathews etc you name it they all have differing views with half saying just replace and off you go and half saying needs to be reprogrammed.

Many thanks,

Will
2000 Volvo C70 T5

jdavis
Friday 11th July 2014, 09:36
It's a steady 2-3 hour job to drop and clean the throttle body, have you tried doing this before looking at replacements? quite simple to do.
As far as i'm aware, like for like they should swap over fine check part numbers. I believe there is a process involving leaving the ignition on for a while to calibrate it? M-R-P will know more on this

willsalisbury1984
Friday 11th July 2014, 09:47
Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply. No never done before but met someone yesterday who had regularly and he said for the hours, the wire brushing and bottles of carb cleaner he wished he just bought a new one or had his reconditioned.

Basically I am happy to remove and clean, or remove and recondition or remove and replace but as someone new to Volvos and the C70 T5 and this issue I want to make sure I make the best choice.

As I said I have found a reconditioned one on ebay for around £100 so in terms of getting car back on the road this will be my best bet rather than the delay in sending it away etc.

Thanks so much again,

Will

M-R-P
Friday 11th July 2014, 09:56
Where abouts are you? maybe someone would be willing to have a look or show you how?

Cleaning the TEM will make a difference, regardless of weather it fixes the problem completely and as it's pretty much free, it'll be a good place to start.

There's someone on VOC forums that rebuilds ETMs and makes them "contactless" and I think it's cheaper than £100 (not 100% sure tho).
A replacement will usually need reprogramming but there have been cases where one with all matching numbers have worked. Problem with that tho is you won't know how good it is or how long it'll last.

It takes me under an hour to do mine, one thing to watch out for is touching the live terminal on the starter motor while you're undoing the bolts on the ETM... it gets a bit sparky :eek:

Wobbly Dave
Friday 11th July 2014, 12:12
I saw the contactless rebuild chap on "wheeler dealers" do in the same ETM job on a unit from the Delorean. You can always disconnect the battery to prevent such interesting spark like behaviour.

M-R-P
Friday 11th July 2014, 12:16
You can always disconnect the battery to prevent such interesting spark like behaviour.

But where's the fun in that? :D