PDA

View Full Version : angle gear sleeve replaced :)

faRRow85
Sunday 6th July 2014, 15:35
After reading through post after post i knew that replacing the sleeve for the angle gear unit was going to be a nightmare.but friday afternoon i plucked up the courage to pull it all apart and change it.after grinding away two notches in the sleeve and attatching the puller.it was off in ten minutes :D thank god.i was expecting a tug of war for hours.just so damn happy now the awd is back working again.ill post a picture up off the sleeve.finished it way ahead of schedule.so i treated her to a hand job (wash and wax)

jamesy12345
Sunday 6th July 2014, 15:38
After reading through post after post i knew that replacing the sleeve for the angle gear unit was going to be a nightmare.but friday afternoon i plucked up the courage to pull it all apart and change it.after grinding away two notches in the sleeve and attatching the puller.it was off in ten minutes :D thank god.i was expecting a tug of war for hours.just so damn happy now the awd is back working again.ill post a picture up off the sleeve.finished it way ahead of schedule.so i treated her to a hand job (wash and wax)

usually the other way around (hand job)

nice to see someone posting when it isn't a horror story....I just got an S60R and was wondering about if I would need to do this at some point

I'd be interested to see the pics

faRRow85
Sunday 6th July 2014, 15:47
I think i was lucky.i had been putting it off for a few weeks due to these stories of dealers replacing gearboxes and so on.i got a used transfer box for 390 and the sleeve kit was 113 so it cost me a third of the price dealers wanted.i only had the car for four weeks prior to the problem too:( it has done 120,000 miles

jamesy12345
Sunday 6th July 2014, 15:53
I think i was lucky.i had been putting it off for a few weeks due to these stories of dealers replacing gearboxes and so on.i got a used transfer box for 390 and the sleeve kit was 113 so it cost me a third of the price dealers wanted.i only had the car for four weeks prior to the problem too:( it has done 120,000 miles

4 weeks...and the seller had no idea, right? :/

faRRow85
Sunday 6th July 2014, 17:06
Im having trouble loading pictures.but yeah i kind of rushed into buying the car without knowing any common problems.apart from the sleeve failing i havnt found anything else wrong.got it through the m.o.t last week without any faults

faRRow85
Sunday 6th July 2014, 17:09
As far as common problems go i know the front struts are prone for leaking oil too.mine seem ok and dry for now.

faRRow85
Sunday 6th July 2014, 17:18
And there it it splines as smooth as you like!!!

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 6th July 2014, 17:54
Splines don't look too bad on the angle gear bud

faRRow85
Sunday 6th July 2014, 18:00
Its a little hard to see off that picture they had maybe 25% of meat left on them. I have this as a spare for now but would like to get it refurbed with a new shaft.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 6th July 2014, 18:03
Mine was the other way round, it wore the splines on the gearbox :( so had to source a new box.

Was thinking about trying to get a replacement output shaft in my spare gearbox.

faRRow85
Sunday 6th July 2014, 18:46
Ouch bet that wasnt cheap.i was fearing that when i took the transfer box off.im thinking the same with the angle gear shaft.

faRRow85
Sunday 6th July 2014, 18:53
25705 i had to use a G clamp to squeeze the legs together as they kept slipping from the sleeve

faRRow85
Sunday 6th July 2014, 18:57
Didnt get stuck on the grass uphill before so it must be working well again :)

jamesy12345
Sunday 6th July 2014, 20:13
Glad it's worked out, nice buy & nice DIY fix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdr8vI37MvY

faRRow85
Sunday 6th July 2014, 21:09
Cheers..fingers crossed i can leave the spanners alone for a while