PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant refusal to start S60 2007 2.0T problem

Supergurrier
Friday 4th July 2014, 20:31
Hey guys i need to pick your brains

Got car back there today after getting timing belt kit inc water pump front brakes discs+pads track rod end full fluid and filter change and collected with work van.

However when i went back with my dad to pick up work van to drop it to bosses house the volvo wouldn't start at all and had to leave it at mechanics again.

Symptoms are slight hesitation of power between gearchanges on initial power car takes 2-3 times to start and now it just refuses to start.

I think it's the maf or a fuel air ratio problem. Any thoughts ???

Also considering it may be

Loose/corroded wire to the starter ?
Ignition switch ?
Fuel pressure sensor ?
MAF needs a good clean ?
Possibly need a new fuel filter ?

The hesitation doesn't bother me THAT much but the starting thing just won't work considering i bought this car to be a reliable sensible daily while i save for a weekend vintage toy.

Help :(

M-R-P
Saturday 5th July 2014, 10:26
Unplug the maf, if it behaves better then you've confirmed a maf problem. Otherwise, I'd be looking elsewhere. Do you get a clicking noise when you try to start it? Does the speedo go dark and come back with the clock showing --:--? Do you get any messages from the info screen?

Supergurrier
Saturday 5th July 2014, 10:31
Click yes and its on the verge of starting sometimes it will run for 1-2 seconds before conking.

Interior lighting does dim a bit yes

No messages from screen this time but before service last time it refused to start eml light came on and "Engine management service needed" or something to that effect.

What has me confused is the intermittent nature of it. Seems to happen/be harder to start once sat for 2-3h or so not before and if left overnight its fine.

M-R-P
Saturday 5th July 2014, 11:01
Tricky one.

Could be the crank sensor.

Supergurrier
Saturday 5th July 2014, 11:24
Mechanic says its air flow Meter

Hopefully that will fix it. Thanks a lot will report back if it works so anyone else who has the same problem knows.

silverhorse
Saturday 5th July 2014, 13:37
Would a dodgy MAF cause the car to not start? I know they will make the car run like a bag of spanners if they are ££££ed, but not start? New MAF is an expensive way of checking.......
Anyhoo, good luck with it!

Supergurrier
Wednesday 9th July 2014, 19:55
Airflow meter wasn't the fix.

Car is worse than ever today (figured out how to make it start) but hunting on idle/hesitation and mpg are worse than ever (17.5mpg lol) and Reduced engine performance light is on.

I think the ETM (Electronic throttle module) either needs cleaning or changing, thought this wasn't an issue after 2002 :(

M-R-P
Wednesday 9th July 2014, 20:21
The etm usually works or it doesn't, there's not an in between stage like the older ones.

If there's a light on, it'll have codes stored. Best get them read and see what's what. When the mechanic said it was the airflow meter, did he get that diagnosis from the proper volvo diagnostics or a generic? Generic codes often don't mean much when it comes to volvos. If you could post any codes he pulled from the car, that would help us a lot.

Supergurrier
Wednesday 9th July 2014, 20:22
Will report back tomorrow.

Edit: Any advice on a decent brand of diagnostic tool i would buy for around 100 ?

Thanks again (Hate this going in circle stuff)

M-R-P
Wednesday 9th July 2014, 20:43
It can be annoying and it's probably something simple :(

You can get the proper volvo diagnostics kit from eBay for around 100.

Supergurrier
Wednesday 9th July 2014, 22:10
Don't know if this helps but if i have it started

Have to put it in first clutch pedal to the floor and some throttlefeathering to get it to start. If aircon is on the idle becomes very erratic for the first cycle on auto

Also any links to said diagnostic kits would be amazingly helpful, thanks alot for all your help sofar.

Im 1200e into fixing this old girl up and i don't want to come out 4k down as reason i bought this car was to start saving for a vintage american car and i don't want it to kill that dream for next summer :(

M-R-P
Thursday 10th July 2014, 08:00
Don't know if this helps but if i have it started

Have to put it in first clutch pedal to the floor and some throttlefeathering to get it to start. If aircon is on the idle becomes very erratic for the first cycle on auto

Also any links to said diagnostic kits would be amazingly helpful, thanks alot for all your help sofar.

Im 1200e into fixing this old girl up and i don't want to come out 4k down as reason i bought this car was to start saving for a vintage american car and i don't want it to kill that dream for next summer :(

Hmmm... the ECU should be feathering the throttle on startup.

Not sure how the clutch would make a difference unless the dual mass flywheel is shot. Does it go in and out of all gears easily?

Being a 2007, it may be the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail - these are known to fail and cause problems when they do.

Go on Ebay and search for "Volvo Dice Vida", not much point me sending you a link as it will be to ebay UK.