PDA

View Full Version : Ohlins Strut Braces??

After_Shock
Saturday 12th November 2005, 23:22
Was bored at work today so got the S/V/C70 accessories catalouge out and noticed the ohlins strut brace pictured in their, put the part number in and it came out as simply a strut brace for about £75 not the spring loaded thing in the pictures.

As our parts dept is as much use as a chocolate teapot never got to find out the price of these things, anyone know??

siamblue
Saturday 12th November 2005, 23:42
Was bored at work today so got the S/V/C70 accessories catalouge out and noticed the ohlins strut brace pictured in their, put the part number in and it came out as simply a strut brace for about £75 not the spring loaded thing in the pictures.

As our parts dept is as much use as a chocolate teapot never got to find out the price of these things, anyone know??

Got any pics of it mate? enmasse of sellers getting rid of their silver strut braces maybe?

After_Shock
Saturday 12th November 2005, 23:45
Its like a beefed up normal strut brace with a gold sort of canister on either side with Ohlins written on, their used to be loads of pics of them floating around a couple of years back but cant find any now!

Andrew
Saturday 12th November 2005, 23:51
I think you mean something like this

http://www.vlvworld.com/photo_pieces/9204201.jpg

It's about $1400 - so about £850ish

It is described as "Adjustable front shock absorbers kit by Volvo. Adjust stiffeness for road condition, tune suspension to you need. Requires the strut brace to install."

After_Shock
Saturday 12th November 2005, 23:55
Yeah thats the one, dont think its worth that kind of cash though! Just get a full new suspension set instead!

Andrew
Saturday 12th November 2005, 23:59
Yeah thats the one, dont think its worth that kind of cash though! Just get a full new suspension set instead!

Yup agreed - but I guess as it's an OEM part then it won't effect your insurance as a modification :)

Redbrick
Sunday 13th November 2005, 09:20
Its just the strut brace- the gold canisters are the remote reservoirs for the coilover front shocks.

The Ohlins kit is only available from Volvo and doesn't include springs! I researched this before going down the KW route.

Nice to see the new S60R/ V70R uses Ohlins in in its set up.

After_Shock
Sunday 13th November 2005, 09:34
Thats always a plus Andy!

Thanks for that redbrick, probs why our parts department knows naff all about the kit then!

gdogg16
Monday 14th November 2005, 19:15
Its just the strut brace- the gold canisters are the remote reservoirs for the coilover front shocks.

The Ohlins kit is only available from Volvo and doesn't include springs! I researched this before going down the KW route.

Nice to see the new S60R/ V70R uses Ohlins in in its set up.
sort of, ohlins helped develope the 4C. I hate the 4C.. The S60R race cars do use ohlins though..

Redbrick
Monday 14th November 2005, 20:31
sort of, ohlins helped develope the 4C. I hate the 4C.. The S60R race cars do use ohlins though..

The bloke at the Volvo training centre we attended a few months ago said the shocks were made by Ohlin. Only going off what he said, he could have been full of BS though, but I doubt it.

I was well impressed with the set up being driven around in the S60R for 5 minutes.

Normal for when the kids are in the car and rock hard for when your on your own.

Straker
Monday 14th November 2005, 22:22
Alway struck me a kind of strange. One of the biggest advantages of remote reserviors is that it keeps the working fluid cooler by not keeping it close inside the constantly moving damper. However putting the reservious in the engine bay just says heat me please.

I can only guess that having nice an easily accessable means they are easy to adjust which is handy if you are racing and are constantly changing your set up.

Anyone any thoughts?

gdogg16
Monday 14th November 2005, 23:45
Alway struck me a kind of strange. One of the biggest advantages of remote reserviors is that it keeps the working fluid cooler by not keeping it close inside the constantly moving damper. However putting the reservious in the engine bay just says heat me please.

I can only guess that having nice an easily accessable means they are easy to adjust which is handy if you are racing and are constantly changing your set up.

Anyone any thoughts?
you are correct, for the most part. You want to place the reservoirs in the coolest place in the engine bay, that place isn't over top of the turbo....
http://www.swedespeed.com/gallery/albums//Events/Enthusiast/Carlisle/2005%20Import%20Kit-Replicar%20Nationals/Volvo/085.jpg