PDA

View Full Version : smoke leak detector v2

dave_mito
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 09:40
in an attempt to get to the bottom of my poor running and air leak. I made another smoke leak detector.

I used a screen wash bucket with a tyre valve in one side and a hose connector on the other side.

I set the compressor to around ten psi and connected it to the trye valve.

I put a hose from the the other end onto to line that goes from manifold to the re circ using a t peice

Placed a peice of flag in the bottom, lit a small fire. Which consisted of some paper tissue, some terry cloth, a latex glove and some dired up grass.

Let it flare up for a minute then fasten the lid.

all was going well and smoke was appearing from under the manifold, just when I get my head in and the torch out, the lid flies off.

I keep trying it again but due to the heat the plastic is soft so the lid just pops straight of.

need to try it with a metal tin next

dave_mito
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 09:41
forgot to mention, I took the air box out and block the intake hose using some thick pvc sheet and tape

jdavis
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 12:34
I thought you could buy smoke pellets or something like that to help with these? If its an air leak my moneys on a small vacuum hose near the compressor housing being off.

dave_mito
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 12:38
used some pellets, but the smoke wasnt good enough

theflyingbrick
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 16:56
im doing mine this weekend although ill just be listening for a hiss as I don't have anything to make smoke with lol

dave_mito
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 17:02
the problem with listening for a his, you hear the air rushing round the engine. which tricks you

theflyingbrick
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 17:04
oh right...didn't think about that!! well ill give it a go see what happens if not ill source some decent smoke pellets

dave_mito
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 17:12
Im going to try and make one with an old paint pot or something metal