PDA

View Full Version : intake pipe

dave_mito
Friday 27th June 2014, 19:53
What difference do 3" intake pipes make and what makes are good

JamesT5
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:08

I think the larger ones allow the turbo to suck in more air. I fancy a do88se one at some point as I've heard they're very good. Parts for Volvo's sell them.

Jamest5r
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:32
I think the larger ones allow the turbo to suck in more air. I fancy a do88se one at some point as I've heard they're very good. Parts for Volvo's sell them.

James, do yourself a favour and stop starting your replies with "I think" you might get less abuse that way, if you know then say it if you don't then don't.... Simples :)

M-R-P
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:36
Ooohhh James faceoff....

You need to be careful fitting a larger inlet to an unmapped car as it can cause lean running (although mine didn't).
Branding makes little difference - they all do the same job. What you do get is lots of lovely induction noise :)

JamesT5
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:39
I think New Zealand is a nice place.

I think Pizza Hut are good value for money.

I think the weather has been pretty good the last couple of weeks.

I think I might might put my feet up tonight.

I think the statements made above demonstrate my point nicely. Will they generate "abuse"? I don't think so.

Point made.....

t5 pete
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:39
I think Jamest5 needs to stop thinking pmsl

JamesT5
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:40
Ooohhh James faceoff....

You need to be careful fitting a larger inlet to an unmapped car as it can cause lean running (although mine didn't).
Branding makes little difference - they all do the same job. What you do get is lots of lovely induction noise :)

Do you think so.....? ;) :beer:

JamesT5
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:42
I think everyone is entitled to give their opinion provided they're polite and reasonable in their approach in doing so.

Jamest5r
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:43
I think New Zealand is a nice place.

I think Pizza Hut are good value for money.

I think the weather has been pretty good the last couple of weeks.

I think I might might put my feet up tonight.

I think the statements made above demonstrate my point nicely. Will they generate "abuse"? I don't think so.

Point made.....

None of the above would make your pride and joy run like a.bag of spanners.......

JamesT5
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:45
None of the above would make your pride and joy run like a.bag of spanners.......

Doesn't matter, "I think" is someone's opinion. If I rounded up all the "I think" comments on here I think (there it goes again), you'd end up with egg on your face.....

:hilarious

Jamest5r
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:47
I think everyone is entitled to give their opinion provided they're polite and reasonable in their approach in doing so.

Er.....wrong, everyone is entitled to to give their opinion and you KNOW that, therefore you don't need to question your reply :)

Jamest5r
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:49
Doesn't matter, "I think" is someone's opinion. If I rounded up all the "I think" comments on here I think (there it goes again), you'd end up with egg on your face.....

Please do I'm.bored incase you hadn't guessed lol I'm just off for another beer but will be back for more banter :)

JamesT5
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:49
Er.....wrong, everyone is entitled to to give their opinion and you KNOW that, therefore you don't need to question your reply :)

:wtf: :confused:

Harvey
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:50
I think I will turn on the TV and watch Glastonbury.......

claymore
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:50

You always have to have the last word don't you, All your posts and advice today have been corrected by someone, does it not make you think that the rubbish coming off your keyboard isn't wanted or needed on here, what people want is proper advice, not your 'opinions'.

Jamest5r
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:53

:wtf: :confused:

I meant you didn't need to start that post with I think, been easier and less typing to start "everyone is" if you get me, :)

JamesT5
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:54
You always have to have the last word don't you, All your posts and advice today have been corrected by someone, does it not make you think that the rubbish coming off your keyboard isn't wanted or needed on here, what people want is proper advice, not your 'opinions'.

Careful Colin, you're closing comments could be construed as an attempt to 'bully' me off the forum. I advise caution plus I don't want to see this gentleman's thread wrecked by forum politics.

claymore
Friday 27th June 2014, 20:58
Careful Colin, you're closing comments could be construed as an attempt to 'bully' me off the forum. I advise caution plus I don't want to see this gentleman's thread wrecked by forum politics.

Just a matter of time before you throw your dummy out and leave for a week or two as usual.

Jamest5r
Friday 27th June 2014, 21:03

Colins comments could be taken the wrong way I agree they do come across as harsh in text but you've meet him and would understand frustration :) James, all people are saying is by all means comment on threads that's your right as a forum member but don't guess your answers on technical stuff, I for one only reply to something technical if I'm 100% behind my reply the rest of the time I post crap :)

stribo
Friday 27th June 2014, 21:18
I think New Zealand is a nice place. Have you ever been? if not you may be far wide of the mark.

I think Pizza Hut are good value for money. You may think that, someone else may disagree, so it's not fact.

I think the weather has been pretty good the last couple of weeks. Surely you know for a fact whether the weather has been good or not, why the ambiguity?

I think I might might put my feet up tonight. Again, you know whether or not you'll put your feet up, so know need to think.

I think the statements made above demonstrate my point nicely. Will they generate "abuse"? I don't think so. They don't demonstrate anything other than you write "I think" alot. ;)

I think the larger ones allow the turbo to suck in more air. This suggests that it may allow the turbo to suck more air, but you're not really sure.

I think the last statement is typical of the one's people have problems with, you're never sure if what you're writing is fact, so the "I think" prefix is a get out of jail free card for you, as if anyone challenges what you wrote, you'll just say you weren't stating it as fact.

t5 pete
Friday 27th June 2014, 21:21
I think New Zealand is a nice place. Have you ever been? if not you may be far wide of the mark.

I think Pizza Hut are good value for money. You may think that, someone else may disagree, so it's not fact.

I think the weather has been pretty good the last couple of weeks. Surely you know for a fact whether the weather has been good or not, why the ambiguity?

I think I might might put my feet up tonight. Again, you know whether or not you'll put your feet up, so know need to think.

I think the statements made above demonstrate my point nicely. Will they generate "abuse"? I don't think so. They don't demonstrate anything other than you write "I think" alot. ;)

I think the larger ones allow the turbo to suck in more air. This suggests that it may allow the turbo to suck more air, but you're not really sure.

I think the last statement is typical of the one's people have problems with, you're never sure if what you're writing is fact, so the "I think" prefix is a get out of jail free card for you, as if anyone challenges what you wrote, you'll just say you weren't stating it as fact.

I think that's nail on head

Shinsplintz 101
Friday 27th June 2014, 21:21
Back to the OPs point - will the ecu ££££e itself if the air intake goes to 3"? I'm interested as I want to replace the maf to turbo pipe but want to stick with the original airbox. Heard conflicting reports of what it may do & th do88 site confuses matters by saying can't be used with original airbox. Will be here a remap but would like to get as much hardware in situ prior without killing the motor.

Only technically minded need reply........

Btw mine's a 850R but the principle.should be the same

Cheers, Morgan

stribo
Friday 27th June 2014, 21:22

3" intake pipes do indeed help turbo spool up,as they're freer flowing.

Ooohhh James faceoff....

The bigger pipe won't cause a car to run lean, as the air is still passing through the standard MAF. ;)

MoleT-5R
Friday 27th June 2014, 21:30
James suggesting fitting a 3" intake system to a car that you know nothing about what has been previously done to, is a very dangerous statement and the "I thinks" could land you in hot water when comments like this are taken up by some innocent newbie on here, who then fits said intake and then flows more air than the fueling can manage and in turn melts their engine on your advice, stick to angle grinding lessons and chemical metal and don't mess up someone else's car by your lack of knowledge in the area questioned

theflyingbrick
Friday 27th June 2014, 21:37
didn't andysR bend a rod after fitting a new intake? not 100 percent sure if it was a 3 incher though!! please standby whilst I have a quick gander through the archives ;)

merc85
Friday 27th June 2014, 21:46
Fitting the uprated/larger intake will cause the air to flow Quicker as its not ribbed like the Oe volvo one, and being a larger size to it Will flow more increasing boost pressure, IF your runing boost close to the limit of the stock internals the increase MAY be enough to cause internal engine damage.

I know the above as i was in Andys car at the time. :)

Jamest5r
Friday 27th June 2014, 21:49
didn't andysR bend a rod after fitting a new intake? not 100 percent sure if it was a 3 incher though!! please standby whilst I have a quick gander through the archives ;)

Yep.....

MoleT-5R
Friday 27th June 2014, 22:12

no bullying here just helpful advice to person that doesn't know what there talking about before there advice causes another member some serious grief mechanically

theflyingbrick
Friday 27th June 2014, 22:12
well I suppose I wont need to drag up archives then lol

merc85
Friday 27th June 2014, 22:26
well I suppose I wont need to drag up archives then lol

lol

Wobbly Dave
Friday 27th June 2014, 23:00
I have a 4 inch & I know that I need it - however it does have an anti surge collar not found on the TD04 turbos.

The standard tube is fine until you really start to run higher boost. You also have to bear in mind the voltage range for the MAF sensor. I had originally a 3 inch intake for the GTX but moved upto 4 when the MAF became saturated. The 4 inch actually slowed the air down. It did require alteration of the partial throttle map.

The lower photos show the successful of the smooth pipe on my 19T & that was 3 inch.

I have never had an issue with running one.

M-R-P
Friday 27th June 2014, 23:05
3" intake pipes do indeed help turbo spool up,as they're freer flowing.

The bigger pipe won't cause a car to run lean, as the air is still passing through the standard MAF. ;)

Too fast a spoolup can lead to an initial overboost which can cause a lean burn, like a badly adjusted mbc but not as severe or prolonged.

I should've added more detail in my post but was working on the car at the time and my brain was distracted by something shiny :)

Harvey
Friday 27th June 2014, 23:08
was working on the car at the time and my brain was distracted by something shiny :)

Do tell....

M-R-P
Friday 27th June 2014, 23:13
Do tell....

Nowt special Harv, just sorting a small issue I've had since fitting the downpipe.

Sharkey R
Friday 27th June 2014, 23:13
Too fast a spoolup can lead to an initial overboost which can cause a lean burn, like a badly adjusted mbc but not as severe or prolonged.

I should've added more detail in my post but was working on the car at the time and my brain was distracted by something shiny :)

Is Graham at yours again??

LeeT5
Saturday 28th June 2014, 01:56

Couldn't agree more.

Back to the OPs point - will the ecu ££££e itself if the air intake goes to 3"? I'm interested as I want to replace the maf to turbo pipe but want to stick with the original airbox. Heard conflicting reports of what it may do & th do88 site confuses matters by saying can't be used with original airbox. Will be here a remap but would like to get as much hardware in situ prior without killing the motor.

Only technically minded need reply........ <<<<<< That's aimed at you James...What a bully!

Btw mine's a 850R but the principle.should be the same

Cheers, Morgan

James suggesting fitting a 3" intake system to a car that you know nothing about what has been previously done to, is a very dangerous statement and the "I thinks" could land you in hot water when comments like this are taken up by some innocent newbie on here, who then fits said intake and then flows more air than the fueling can manage and in turn melts their engine on your advice, stick to angle grinding lessons and chemical metal and don't mess up someone else's car by your lack of knowledge in the area questioned

You literally took the words out of my mouth. Well said.

Which is why it also helps if you have a faster reacting TCV and not a standard one. oe TCV's are known for becoming a little lethargic with age.

p fandango
Saturday 28th June 2014, 07:00
Which is why it also helps if you have a faster reacting TCV and not a standard one. oe TCV's are known for becoming a little lethargic with age.
theirs been plenty of known issues with IPD TCV's as well so a bit counterproductive

T5RatherAmusin
Saturday 28th June 2014, 08:01
Can we all stop with the bull££££ now. 90% of vpc if full of this ££££
Just getting ridiculous now and show what a load of condescending £££££s most of you are....

Now as you are....

OP - what car do you have and any other supporting mods?

dave_mito
Saturday 28th June 2014, 08:26
standard at the min.

plan is to take it of the road for a week and send ecu of to john (dream3r) for a remap.

whilst he has my ecu will be fitting vxr injectors, 3" decat down pipe, exhuast (unsure on weather to go for 2.5" or 3" and were from), and what ever else I can think of.

So thinking the intake pipe will be a good addition

T5RatherAmusin
Saturday 28th June 2014, 08:41
Take it yours is 2.4 t5...
I have the 3.25" do88 intake pipe . uprated charge gear, fmic 3" decat....
You'll be fine on 2.5 cat back

It won't hurt in your case to get the intake pipe done
Youll feel the difference in the higher revs

LeeT5
Saturday 28th June 2014, 09:04
Can we all stop with the bull££££ now. 90% of vpc if full of this ££££
Just getting ridiculous now and show what a load of condescending £££££s most of you are....

Now as you are....

OP - what car do you have and any other supporting mods?

Didn't understand a single word.

T5RatherAmusin
Saturday 28th June 2014, 09:06
Your a pathetic lil man

stribo
Saturday 28th June 2014, 09:07

Would it help if it was written in big coloured letters? ;)

dave_mito
Saturday 28th June 2014, 09:09
come on guys keep it clean, give me 3 makes of intake and were to get them from.

Then you can do what you want lol

stribo
Saturday 28th June 2014, 09:11
come on guys keep it clean, give me 3 makes of intake and were to get them from.

Then you can do what you want lol

What car's is it for?

T5RatherAmusin
Saturday 28th June 2014, 09:14
Pfv will do you the do88 stuff
Theres the snabb and ipd stuff over usa....

dave_mito
Saturday 28th June 2014, 09:16
v70 b5244t5

craigoodwood
Saturday 28th June 2014, 09:32
or you could make your own like i did....

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/craig-abby/2014-01-02132925_zps04b49bb0.jpg (http://s715.photobucket.com/user/craig-abby/media/2014-01-02132925_zps04b49bb0.jpg.html)

its cleaner now :shy:

T5frankie
Saturday 28th June 2014, 09:39
a 3" intake wrecked my forged engine as for one i didnt turn the boost right down before i drove it, then build it up again, only drove a mile before it went pop

dave_mito
Saturday 28th June 2014, 10:11
lots of missed views on them it seems.

suppose I will have to keep a close on the afr for a while if I do fit one

960kg
Sunday 29th June 2014, 13:44
Fitting the uprated/larger intake will cause the air to flow Quicker as its not ribbed like the Oe volvo one, and being a larger size to it Will flow more increasing boost pressure, IF your runing boost close to the limit of the stock internals the increase MAY be enough to cause internal engine damage.

I know the above as i was in Andys car at the time. :)

Well your wrong as well!........it does amaze me how so many members slag off one person for there thoughts on helping another member and then you answer a load of rubbish but your friends say nothing!.........what a load of crap members you all are clicky...clicky...clicky........i am so glad i don`t go to meets to waste my time and fuel meeting you all, your`e simply not worth it!

The ribs do not slow any airflow up in fact they can tumble the air so the air vanes in the turbo`s compressor can grab the air better as it it tumbling instead of straightforward hitting.......the ribs are mainly there for flexibility of the hose for engine movement......although the larger hose will encourage faster airflow it`s volume is not increased as it has to get by the MAF which is smaller in diameter so therefore the AFR`s will be similar as the MAF reads the same volume of air and if out the ECU will compensate but only to a limit.
It seems Frankie went over the limit due to a 3" MAF without a remap....

no bullying here just helpful advice to person that doesn't know what there talking about before there advice causes another member some serious grief mechanically

Think again!

a 3" intake wrecked my forged engine as for one i didnt turn the boost right down before i drove it, then build it up again, only drove a mile before it went pop

So Frankie you knocked the nail on the head.............It`s the lack of knowledge that causes these failures with rods etc.......just as you have just said.......other members included...

.................................................. ..............

.........and as for a quicker TCV than an OEM one what utter crap from a member that belongs to a motoring organisation........i for one am glad i ain`t a member.....it is the ECU that is slow.......and yes, i do know about ipd problems

.................................................. .................................................. ....................

merc85
Sunday 29th June 2014, 14:23
960KG strikes again. Hello mate how are you doing?? lol

claymore
Sunday 29th June 2014, 14:46
Well your wrong as well!........it does amaze me how so many members slag off one person for there thoughts on helping another member and then you answer a load of rubbish but your friends say nothing!.........what a load of crap members you all are clicky...clicky...clicky........i am so glad i don`t go to meets to waste my time and fuel meeting you all, your`e simply not worth it!

The ribs do not slow any airflow up in fact they can tumble the air so the air vanes in the turbo`s compressor can grab the air better as it it tumbling instead of straightforward hitting.......the ribs are mainly there for flexibility of the hose for engine movement......although the larger hose will encourage faster airflow it`s volume is not increased as it has to get by the MAF which is smaller in diameter so therefore the AFR`s will be similar as the MAF reads the same volume of air and if out the ECU will compensate but only to a limit.

Think again!

So Frankie you knocked the nail on the head.............It`s the lack of knowledge that causes these failures with rods etc.......just as you have just said.......other members included...

.........and as for a quicker TCV than an OEM one what utter crap from a member that belongs to a motoring organisation........i for one am glad i ain`t a member.....it is the ECU that is slow.......and yes, i do know about ipd problems

.................................................. .................................................. ....................

With that sort of attitude I wish I hadn't bothered 'wasting my time' defending you on VOC, I can see now why they got rid of you.

expolicev70t5
Sunday 29th June 2014, 17:30
Try Graeme Welsh on this forum. He made them and may have some left

Gold 'N' Brown
Sunday 29th June 2014, 17:34
Let's assume I'm a complete moron (shouldn't be difficult :dunce:). Can anyone explain to me:

1) How does a larger bore intake make the air flow (gas speed) faster?
2) How does a larger bore intake increase air flow (gas volume) if the turbo remains the constant in the equation?
3) How does a larger bore intake increase boost pressure, or make the turbo boost past the normal limit, when it's on the unpressurised side of the turbo?

:confused::mischievo

merc85
Sunday 29th June 2014, 17:56
Let's assume I'm a complete moron (shouldn't be difficult :dunce:). Can anyone explain to me:

1) How does a larger bore intake make the air flow (gas speed) faster?
2) How does a larger bore intake increase air flow (gas volume) if the turbo remains the constant in the equation?
3) How does a larger bore intake increase boost pressure, or make the turbo boost past the normal limit, when it's on the unpressurised side of the turbo?

:confused::mischievo

960kg knows everything but until he coments,

1) the increase is because the larger intake walls are smoother so its easier for the air to flow (try tumbling as apossed to runing) which is quicker?
2) the increase is less work on the turbo as its able to spoolfaster as its able to flow quicker to due to the above
3) Boost pressure is increased slightly as the turbo is not having to work as hard, flowing smoother with slightly more volume due to the islight ncrease in size of piping

Thats how i understand it anyway lol, Andys car boosted more with the Larger intake over the standard ribbed version hence the Bent rod.

Harvey
Sunday 29th June 2014, 18:35
Just to ask what is the smallest dia of the stock pipe is it smaller than the dia of the air flow MAF body ?.

My thoughts on this are,from the turbo to the air filter inlet pipe the system will be under vacuum with engine running.

So if your were to fit a ram air inlet pipe the level of vacuum would be less.

So the people that fit a air filer onto the MAF will have a lower vacuum at that point as there's no box for the filler or cold air inlet to that point that the air has to be pulled through.

So from the MAF to the turbo inlet flange there's always a vacuum there ,so if the MAF dia is larger than the dia of the turbo inlet flange,but the stock pipe is smaller than the MAF or the flange on the turbo ,fitting a pipe which would be the same size as the MAF would lower the vacuum level up to the point you get the the turbo inlet flange.

But the main point as I see it is the turbo inlet side is having to suck air through it,so if you can reduce the level of vacuum present by cutting down the drag on the air upto the turbo it will move more freely than it would otherwise do so.

merc85
Sunday 29th June 2014, 18:41
yes bud the stock pipe narrows quite abit just before the turbo where as the replacement doesn't

T5frankie
Sunday 29th June 2014, 20:04
i wrecked my engine due to not compensating for the extra boost by fitting a 3" maf by simply turning it down, had i done that before driving it would have been ok

JamesT5
Sunday 29th June 2014, 20:31

Think again!

:beer: :littleang :Handshake

JamesT5
Sunday 29th June 2014, 20:37
Anyone also considered that the guys who designed these cars and in particular, the engine including related attachments, have more technical knowledge, theory and engineering prowess than anyone in this forum could ever hope to have.

The design of the OE pipe has been designed by someone or a number of engineers that would make some of the jumped-up know-it-all's on here look like Primary School kids. :D :haha:

Oh, but there'll always be a couple of people here that would stand there tell them "you're wrong".

JamesT5
Sunday 29th June 2014, 20:39
With that sort of attitude I wish I hadn't bothered 'wasting my time' defending you on VOC, I can see now why they got rid of you.

960kg has some valid points, I don't find his attitude bad, so why would you or anyone else?

JamesT5
Sunday 29th June 2014, 20:40

I do! :D

stribo
Sunday 29th June 2014, 20:41
Anyone also considered that the guys who designed these cars and in particular, the engine including related attachments, have more technical knowledge, theory and engineering prowess than anyone in this forum could ever hope to have.

The design of the OE pipe has been designed by someone or a number of engineers that would make some of the jumped-up know-it-all's on here look like Primary School kids. :D :haha:

Oh, but there'll always be a couple of people here that would stand there tell them "you're wrong".

Again James you're forgetting that the car was designed as a compromise, so it was designed the way it was to keep induction noise down, and therefore the keep the car quieter, when we modify our cars, we're not interested in that compromise, so will put up with, or actually enjoy the added induction noise. Also it was probably cheaper to produce a bit of vacuum moulded plastic than a metal and silicon pipe assembly.

p fandango
Sunday 29th June 2014, 20:44

but if they were allowed to make the car to there maximum capacity then we'd have no need to modify our cars, as ANY modification we made would end up with us losing power. Production car are made to a compromise, whether it be budgetary, emissions or for a production time factor. I'm one of the few people who swears by the 3" RIP kit, & have read many times how they won't make any difference, but i'm yet to see a 19t car spool as quick as the one's i know with 3" RIP kits (one of which ran a 13.9 on a standard map)

JamesT5
Sunday 29th June 2014, 20:45
Again James you're forgetting that the car was designed as a compromise, so it was designed the way it was to keep induction noise down, and therefore the keep the car quieter, when we modify our cars, we're not interested in that compromise, so will put up with, or actually enjoy the added induction noise. Also it was probably cheaper to produce a bit of vacuum moulded plastic than a metal and silicon pipe assembly.

It still had to be tested and engineered to work, something that takes great skill. I challenge any member on here to design, build and manufacture a car completely from scratch, including all the engine parts down to every last fastener, seal, gasket, then fit it all together and ensure it meets the Euro emissions tests and safety standards.

Doesn't seem so easy now, does it...... ;)

stribo
Sunday 29th June 2014, 20:47
It still had to be tested and engineered to work, something that takes great skill. I challenge any member on here to design, build and manufacture a car completely from scratch, including all the engine parts down to every last fastener, seal, gasket, then fit it all together and ensure it meets the Euro emissions tests and safety standards.

But the design can still be improved on, the car companies are making cars to sell to millions, so won't make it the ultimate car itcan be, but a car that's going to please the mases, how do you find it so hard to understand that?

claymore
Sunday 29th June 2014, 21:02

But you are quite happy to ignore all this engineering design, and hack into suspension mounts with an angle grinder and feel it's safe to fill it with a bit of filler, cover it with paint to get a dodgy MOT.

JamesT5
Sunday 29th June 2014, 21:03
But the design can still be improved on, the car companies are making cars to sell to millions, so won't make it the ultimate car itcan be, but a car that's going to please the mases, how do you find it so hard to understand that?

If so many people are 'modding' these cars perhaps the 'masses' aren't being kept pleased......

stribo
Sunday 29th June 2014, 21:04
If so many people are 'modding' these cars perhaps the 'masses' aren't being kept pleased......

Us modders are very much a minority.

JamesT5
Sunday 29th June 2014, 21:05
But you are quite happy to ignore all this engineering design, and hack into suspension mounts with an angle grinder and feel it's safe to fill it with a bit of filler, cover it with paint to get a dodgy MOT.

Hasn't snapped or broken though has it! Testament to the first class engineers in Sweden me thinks! :D

Plus I've got plans for the rear end anyway. :haha:

JamesT5
Sunday 29th June 2014, 21:05
Us modders are very much a minority.

Could have fooled me...

claymore
Sunday 29th June 2014, 21:08
Hasn't snapped or broken though has it! Testament to the first class engineers in Sweden me thinks! :D

I give up, I'm very much looking forward to all the money you are going to spend on your new 'daily driver'

stribo
Sunday 29th June 2014, 21:19
Could have fooled me...

That, it would appear, isn't hard. Count all the cars you see in a day, and also count how many are modified, you'll find it a very small percentage, just because most people on here modify their cars, that doesn't mean the majority of car drivers do.

JamesT5
Sunday 29th June 2014, 21:20
I give up, I'm very much looking forward to all the money you are going to spend on your new 'daily driver'

The S60 will be kept largely standard with modifications kept to a relative minimum. It seems other people have a daily runner and another car that they chuck bucket loads of cash at and nothing is said. Interesting!

claymore
Sunday 29th June 2014, 21:25
The S60 will be kept largely standard with modifications kept to a relative minimum. It seems other people have a daily runner and another car that they chuck bucket loads of cash at and nothing is said. Interesting!

Difference is, most people throw bucket loads of money at the cars to improve them, you have throw bucket loads of money at your car and you still have a £800 car.....lol

Sharkey R
Sunday 29th June 2014, 22:00

Why modify your car then if volvo spent millions of pounds developing and engineering a masterpiece as you seem to be insinuating. Unless you buy a full on race car virtually every part of a car is designed to be comfortable, cheap to manufacture and not last a lifetime else they'd never make money in parts. As Stribo said some parts are designed and made to make cars quiet, not necessarily 100% efficient. That's why the likes of us try and improve things. The same way and reason you bought poly bushes, to last longer and be firmer. I'm sorry James but your argument doesn't have any credibility.

LeeT5
Monday 30th June 2014, 03:50
....it is the ECU that is slow.......

No, YOUR wrong!!

The ECU's reaction time (electronically) would always be constant. It commands the control of the TCV to open or close and it's the movement of the TCV (reaction time) which is slow. The IPD TCV uses better quality parts and as such, is designed to react quicker to the ECU's instruction.

....and your point is?

960kg has some valid points, I don't find his attitude bad, so why would you or anyone else?

Take your head out his arse James, 960KG can fight his own corner!

I do! :D

Not very bright are you? Ever heard of 'sarcasm'?

Again, none of us are vehicle designers James, so what's your point?

Nah....more likely down to shear luck that your stupidity didn't cause an accident.

Difference is, most people throw bucket loads of money at the cars to improve them, you have throw bucket loads of money at your car and you still have a £800 car.....lol

Well said.

Why modify your car then if volvo spent millions of pounds developing and engineering a masterpiece as you seem to be insinuating. Unless you buy a full on race car virtually every part of a car is designed to be comfortable, cheap to manufacture and not last a lifetime else they'd never make money in parts. As Stribo said some parts are designed and made to make cars quiet, not necessarily 100% efficient. That's why the likes of us try and improve things. The same way and reason you bought poly bushes, to last longer and be firmer. I'm sorry James but your argument doesn't have any credibility.

Sorry Steve, gotta disagree with you on that one mate! A manufacturer wouldn't go out of it's way to make crap parts or design them in such a way that they physically fail due to poor design after a pre determined time, just so customers have to keep going back and purchase parts to replace failed ones.
Ultimately it's down to cost! They must be able to manufacture a part that's fit for purpose, in the cheapest possible way that can guarantee it lasts at least the manufacturers warranty period. If it fails before then, it's at the manufactures loss - after that would be deemed as come to the end of it's natural life. If it exceeds that then your just bloody lucky!

It all boils down to cost. Manufacturers have to be able to design and build vehicles as cost effectively as possible and they must be able to stand the test of time and have longevity.
Making a car or a part that means it's working to 100% its maximum ability will mean longevity will be out the window. That's why it's possible to MAP cars or what we would consider 'Improve' them....because there is always some headroom in which to work.

If an engine goes bang or the rods bent, then either the maximum threshold of the part and/or parts has been reached/exceeded or your just super unlucky and fatigue has contributed to the components failure.
other factors would always play a part ie How has the car or part been looked after.

Frankie's engine went bang, as 960KG says, not because he fitted a larger bore hose/intake (whatever) but because he didn't dial in the MBC. Thou I do think something else may have played a part in it's demise, of which, we will never know. Possible fatigue? Worn internals already at the limit? weakest link letting go? Who knows?

Sharkey R
Monday 30th June 2014, 11:27
No, YOUR wrong!!

The ECU's reaction time (electronically) would always be constant. It commands the control of the TCV to open or close and it's the movement of the TCV (reaction time) which is slow. The IPD TCV uses better quality parts and as such, is designed to react quicker to the ECU's instruction.

....and your point is?

Nah....more likely down to shear luck that your stupidity didn't cause an accident.

Well said.

Sorry Steve, gotta disagree with you on that one mate! A manufacturer wouldn't go out of it's way to make crap parts or design them in such a way that they physically fail due to poor design after a pre determined time, just so customers have to keep going back

Sorry mate that might have come across what I was meaning, I'm not saying they make crap parts designed to fail or anything like that I just meant that obviously parts could be made to an even higher standard but a: it would cost a lot more making cars more expensive to buy in the first place and b: their parts department would go out of business as there would be no parts to replace.

960kg
Monday 30th June 2014, 12:22
960KG strikes again. Hello mate how are you doing?? lol

I....am not your mate!........i am old enough just to know people, so don`t call me that again...........:finger:

You did not support me personally just the "Facts" that i was on about you supported.............i myself need nobody on this forum or indeed any forum.......others started that support not me.

960kg knows everything

Compared to you the answer is probably... Yes, i do........chances are you were still in your Dad`s ball bag when i decoked my first engine Lol

No, YOUR wrong!!

Lee, i think your barking up the wrong tree.......yes, the ECU`s reaction time is constant and so is the TCV (when new ) as it is electrical.....i also agree that they become clogged and do not react as they wear out like most things.

But when all is new the reaction time of all these parts is slow compared to the turbo spooling and that is simply why we get SPIKES in the boost (using MBC) because the ECU is not quick ENOUGH and it catches up with the boost and turns it down `cos spikes are dangerous!!

Lee, yours is the only motor on here that i do really like.......but all this IPD gear is really just a waste of money.....they are a business for goodness sake and all they want is your money.

Yes, you think the IPD TCV is mustard but it will only deliver a bit more boost in a different place so you think it`s great you may as well use an MBC if you could for a tenner!....i suppose your system doesn`t allow you to like an ME7 is dodgy also.

Why are there so many aftermarket sellers around....you think they are doing us a favour but all they are doing is devaluing our motors and taking our hard earned cash for themselves.

merc85
Monday 30th June 2014, 15:33
ok mate :hilarious

jamesy12345
Monday 30th June 2014, 16:29
Off topic but hardly the first....may I respectfully refer you gents to post 240 of the below...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?51379-What-made-you-laugh-today&p=721790#post721790

gazO2V40T4
Monday 30th June 2014, 17:48
Off topic but hardly the first....may I respectfully refer you gents to post 240 of the below...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?51379-What-made-you-laugh-today&p=721790#post721790

Ha ha I love it lol

JamesT5
Monday 30th June 2014, 21:57
No, YOUR wrong!!

....and your point is?

Well said.

Sorry Steve, gotta disagree with you on that one mate! A manufacturer wouldn't go out of it's way to make crap parts or design them in such a way that they physically fail due to poor design after a pre determined time, just so customers have to keep going back and purchase parts to replace failed ones.
Ultimately it's down to cost! They must be able to manufacture a part that's fit for purpose, in the cheapest possible way that can guarantee it lasts at least the manufacturers warranty period. If it fails before then, it's at the manufactures loss - after that would be deemed as come to the end of it's natural life. If it exceeds that then your just bloody lucky!

It all boils down to cost. Manufacturers have to be able to design and build vehicles as cost effectively as possible and they must be able to stand the test of time and have longevity.
Making a car or a part that means it's working to 100% its maximum ability will mean longevity will be out the window. That's why it's possible to MAP cars or what we would consider 'Improve' them....because there is always some headroom in which to work.

If an engine goes bang or the rods bent, then either the maximum threshold of the part and/or parts has been reached/exceeded or your just super unlucky and fatigue has contributed to the components failure.
other factors would always play a part ie How has the car or part been looked after.

Frankie's engine went bang, as 960KG says, not because he fitted a larger bore hose/intake (whatever) but because he didn't dial in the MBC. Thou I do think something else may have played a part in it's demise, of which, we will never know. Possible fatigue? Worn internals already at the limit? weakest link letting go? Who knows?

I'm not even going to bother replying to Lee's childish response.....

LeeT5
Monday 30th June 2014, 23:04

You just did.......with a childish response! :uglyhamme

M-R-P
Monday 30th June 2014, 23:13
Ffs, is this still running?

Someone wake me up when the adults come back on the forum.

LeeT5
Monday 30th June 2014, 23:25
Ffs, is this still running?

Someone wake me up when the adults come back on the forum.

Hope your not insinuating that I'm being childish?

S70T5Chris
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 07:07

You are absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, an utter moron.

Up until a couple of months ago, I used to just sit back and rolls my eyes at the drivel you post, without commenting or jumping on the 'let James know what we think of him' bandwagon. Until you decided to poke me with your ££££ing stick that is.

Your most recent attention seeking attempt was because of 'bullying'. Pathetic. In the last month or so, every other post you cobble together is a deliberate attempt to provoke a reaction from someone, and when you get it, you claim your being bullied. You sad man.

JamesT5
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 08:43
I've tried helping lots of people on here with some useful advice, unfortunately some people don't see it like that.

dant5r
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 10:30
Legal definition of cyber bullying

cyber bullying includes communication that seeks to intimate, control, manipulate, put down, falsely discredit or humiliate.

960kg
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 10:48

Up until a couple of months ago, I used to just sit back and rolls my eyes at the drivel you post, without commenting or jumping on the 'let James know what we think of him' bandwagon. Until you decided to poke me with your ££££ing stick that is.

Your most recent attention seeking attempt was because of 'bullying'. Pathetic. In the last month or so, every other post you cobble together is a deliberate attempt to provoke a reaction from someone, and when you get it, you claim your being bullied. You sad man.

Chris , i for one value all that you say to do with motors and in the past was friendly to me also.......

But it is a shame you have joined in the Horrid Banter about a fellow member.......I myself don`t do banter or join in with anything to do with clicky inmates!........but i don`t like humiliation or rudeness to any Human Being so i say so, even though i am at the beginning no part of it.

Yes, i have been humiliated before by others on forums but only because i am rather straightforward with my knowledge and some don`t like it as they are not so practically gifted as some happen to be.....

.................................................. .......

So you have now had a bite, which is a shame as i thought you were far more intelligent than that!............Don`t forget those that are humiliated or have crap thrown at them they will retaliate in other ways to frustrated those that cause them harm.

Just look at the "Thanks" followers you have created..........it is really not funny or right.........if the tables were turned you would not like it!

So you have now added to the hate and it may only be stopped by Santa, which is a shame for this great forum of knowledge..........you note i say knowledge and not members!

Keith

.................................................. ...................................

V70 Graham
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 11:58
.......I myself don`t do banter or join in with anything to do with clicky inmates!........

I shall ask again as I didn't get a reply last time, who are the 'clicky inmates' 'chosen few' or 'magic circle' ??

Sharkey R
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 12:13
I'm sorry but is this or is this not a forum where people are free to discuss subjects and voice opinions??? People will agree and disagree. It's how you deal with the disagreements that show the true character of people. Recently James has made some statements that weren't correct and when he was corrected he came back with a childish response.that will get peoples backs up so what does he expect. Chris has every right to voice his opinion and James has every right to respond. I made a statement recently that LeeT5 didn't agree with. I didn't respond by criticising him or insinuate that he was trying to put me down! I actually rephrased what I put in an attempt to try and get my point understood better. V70 Graham has had a lot of negative banter comments about his under bonnet trims, he hasn't gone around saying he a being bullied. If James replied to a thread with a correct statement no one would say anything. To say he is being bullied is a joke. Keith from the way I read this it appears to me that you are merely trying to stir things up. This is my opinion and I am utilising my right to voice it. You will disagree and I've no doubt have choice words to say about me and that is your democratic right but I'm not going to be childish about it.

Santa
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 12:59

Quite frankly guys these sort of statements are not on. Want to disagree with someone/something then either do it respectfully or do it elsewhere!

JamesT5
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 13:02
:bullwhip: :bullwhip:

Jamest5r
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 13:07
Just close the tread rich it's not going anywhere,

Santa
Tuesday 1st July 2014, 13:12
Just read through it James and I completely agree!