PDA

View Full Version : The R running rough

Red850Restate
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 06:44
Morning, the wife was doing race for life yesterday so I went to esso to fuel the tank up, car ran fine en route to garage, fuelled up did a bit of shopping while I was there. So car was left 10mins or so.

No sooner had i started her up and pulled off the forecourt she ran horribly, immediately cut out, started her again and ran lumpy, like she was on 4, no boost. When I went to put my foot down she cut out.

In my wisdom I got her going and thought the best method was to try and clear it by going for a mile blat down the local dual carriageway. Again struggled to boost, and ran lumpy. Eventually though seemed to clear and ran fine until I pulled in home. As I slowed down she died again!!!

Managed to park her up, but on idle struggles to run.

In my limited time I see no vac pipes loose etc.

My Question is could this be poor fuel related, or more likely be a MAF issue etc

Cheers

jamesy12345
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 06:53
If the fuel was dodgy from Esso surely it would take a while to get from tank to engine. Any fault codes, ICV clean, does it run any better with MAF unplugged?

Red850Restate
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 07:02
I thought that mate, but I didn't use the car last week and the wife said oh by the way car needs petrol!she had ran it with naff all fuel in it!!! Agggghhh so after filling her up with 99ron and letting it sit for 10, it might have given it time to dilute, I will disconnect today and have a little play. The exhaust is black now, which I'd have thought is a fuelling issue. Genuinely gutted :-(

jamesy12345
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 07:06
Oh dear good luck

Tell her to get the bus next time

Red850Restate
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 07:09
Oh dear good luck

Tell her to get the bus next time

Haha I've been using my bike for work and she enjoys using the car, but I've given her a bollocking!!!it might be unrelated, but after a stage 0 and a thorough going over and the car running perfectly since, it a huge coincidence

Red850Restate
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 08:19
Right I have just disconnected the MAF and all seems ok, car runs smoothly and idles perfectly, plug it back in and runs like a total nail, rightly or wrongly I took her round the block with MAF off, again ran great but wouldn't boost much I'm guessing this a limp mode to protect the engine. I'm hoping a new MAF will be the answer

AndysR
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 08:29
Air leak, usually if the maf is goosed it will still run ok just won't boost. You've probably got a split boost hose, the most common one is the hose from the throttle body to the plastic pipe that goes to the intercooler, they split where the take off is for the idle control valve.

jamesy12345
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 08:32
Like Andy said, have a good look for air leaks before buying new MAF!!

Tell your lass she got away with it this time))

Red850Restate
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 08:33
Thanks andy, am hoping it's something straight forward as that. Bloody car!!!just want to enjoy her!!!!

Red850Restate
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 08:37
Like Andy said, have a good look for air leaks before buying new MAF!!

Tell your lass she got away with it this time))

Haha we have had words pretty sure she thinks the magic fuel fairy fills her up!!

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 08:55
was it the esso on the A45 on the way to northampton from welingborough? because my 850r did the exact same thing with their fuel in it, i thought it was broken, filled up with shell and it ran fine again

jamesy12345
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 08:59
was it the esso on the A45 on the way to northampton from welingborough? because my 850r did the exact same thing with their fuel in it, i thought it was broken, filled up with shell and it ran fine again

the plot thickens

Red850Restate
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 08:59

No mate it was esso Welingborough road Northampton

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 09:08
No mate it was esso Welingborough road Northampton

either way may just be the crap esso fuel as i said mine ran like crap

Red850Restate
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 09:13
either way may just be the crap esso fuel as i said mine ran like crap

Could well be. Whipping the fuel filter out anyway, which didn't get round to doing on the 0, we shall see but mighty hacked off after ££££ of 99Ron lol

Dan H
Monday 23rd June 2014, 19:55
ive had the same issure with mine, Just checked it then (thought it was the turbo) Turns out a pipe off the ICV has split!! My v70 doesn't like any other fuel other than Shell V-Power, Coughs and splutters like mad on most other fuel

Red850Restate
Monday 23rd June 2014, 20:30
ive had the same issure with mine, Just checked it then (thought it was the turbo) Turns out a pipe off the ICV has split!! My v70 doesn't like any other fuel other than Shell V-Power, Coughs and splutters like mad on most other fuel

Thanks for the information, Everything seems ok, popping a new MAF on at the weekend :-) hopefully should sort the problem

kyboy
Monday 23rd June 2014, 23:51
I had similar prob all symptoms pointed toward maf ,got one no better,ended being lambda!!

Red850Restate
Tuesday 24th June 2014, 08:48
I had similar prob all symptoms pointed toward maf ,got one no better,ended being lambda!!
Thats interesting mate. Just checked history and lambda was replaced by previous owner not long before we bought it I also have no warning lights appearing on the dash. Which in this instance would have thought should have illuminated

kyboy
Wednesday 25th June 2014, 00:13
I had no lights on,just got in it one day going home from work and it ran like a bag of spanners,tried allsorts first bought a gen Bosch maf which still didn't sort it!