PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 850R Exhaust question

coxy
Wednesday 18th June 2014, 21:34
Hello Everyone

I bought my 850r on Monday from Gavin ( merc85 ) and im very happy with it, but id like to put an exhaust on it so it sounds a lot nicer.

What are my options when it comes to the 850, ive been involved with vag scene all my life and ive had millteks and supersprints before.

I can find jetex systems on ebay but I don't know what these are like on Volvos.

Do they get silly loud when you de-cat them or are they ok?

any help would be great

Richard

Nealevo
Wednesday 18th June 2014, 21:43
Welcome along Rich, great car you have, exhaust wise, you get what you pay for as with everything, you can get a cheap powerflow or similar made but they tend to drone, buy a quality system like a miltek, MTE cat back system and you will be happy, if you decat expect some extra noise, i wish i hadn't done mine if I'm honest, but doing it does release some extra horses.

merc85
I know of one car which has one of these

http://www.jt-tuning.se/shop/default.aspx?lng=ENG Sounds the nuts and not to load when cruising,

I had a Supersprint cat back on my Black t5 which sounded awesome on boost, But it was also running a 3" Angled down pipe off a ph1 me7 v70 t5

Front pipe most have a "Ferrita front pipe" decatting makes them sound deaper on tick over but not much difference when on the run although you will here the turbo spool up more ;)

Welcome to the forum btw :)

M-R-P
Welcome to the forum Richard :) you've got yourself a spanking car there, well done.

There's lots of options when it comes to exhausts... BSR, POWERFLOW,Ferrita but one thing to be careful of is droning. Get the setup wrong and the drone will drive you nuts.

A 3" downpipe with a race cat will make a big difference in performance and still be MOT friendly.

Jamest5r
Wednesday 18th June 2014, 21:49
I've got a bsr 3" dp and a miltek 2.5 on the back with decat and it's very pleasant to drive no drooning whatsoever but it sounds nice on boost :)

t5 pete
Wednesday 18th June 2014, 21:52
I've got a bsr 3" dp and a miltek 2.5 on the back with decat and it's very pleasant to drive no drooning whatsoever but it sounds nice on boost :)

It sounds awesome on boost and must say as you said there not loud with normal driving

Harvey
Wednesday 18th June 2014, 21:56
Hi & welcome what a cracking car to start with.

The only place to get TME from is here.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.polar-parts.de%2Fexhaust_system&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CAsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.polar-parts.de%2FSprache%2Fen%2Fenglish.htm&ei=R_yhU_KXOOKp7AadoIGoCw&usg=AFQjCNGNSf89En7ATV4FaC69KTCQ1hQ-jg

coxy
Wednesday 18th June 2014, 22:03

This sounds a nice set up, don't suppose you have a vid of it do you?

The de-cat isn't a problem for me as im a mechanic and my brother is a m.o.t tester :smirk:

Redbrick
Wednesday 18th June 2014, 22:48
http://www.jt-tuning.se/shop/default.aspx?lng=ENG Sounds the nuts and not to load when cruising,

Sorry but I know an 855 owner with the stainless JT system that has to wear ear plugs to do motorway work, it's bloody awful but sounds awesome from outside!

My TME full system droned between 60 and 80.

My IPD 3'' down pipe with Milltek cat back doesn't.

HTH

Jamest5r
Wednesday 18th June 2014, 22:50
This sounds a nice set up, don't suppose you have a vid of it do you?

The de-cat isn't a problem for me as im a mechanic and my brother is a m.o.t tester :smirk:

There are a few around I can't do the links from my phone but if you look in my "project manual " thread in the projects section there are a few in the last few pages :)

Jamest5r
Wednesday 18th June 2014, 22:51
Sorry but I know an 855 owner with the stainless JT system that has to wear ear plugs to do motorway work, it's bloody awful but sounds awesome from outside!

My TME full system droned between 60 and 80.

My IPD 3'' down pipe with Milltek cat back doesn't.

HTH

Maybe it's all in the miltek, shame they don't make them anymore

RollingThunder
Thursday 19th June 2014, 08:23
My classic V70R (same engine, box as 850R) has a BlueFlame stainless system on it - if anything its quieter than standard but is fruity when booted.

I've recently bought a jetex dual outlet cat back system for my classic V70R AWD project, which is supposed to be the same as the BSR jobbie? Looks well made and is also supposed to be drone free... it'll be a while before I can confirm that though as there is a lot to do before its on the road again.

WillT5
Monday 23rd June 2014, 22:30
Or you could be cheeep. I kept my eye on eBay for a second hand custom stainless system for a V70 (i believe) and welded it to fit my 850. Cost me around 100 quid in total

Could end up waiting a while though

AndysR
Tuesday 24th June 2014, 00:14
Welcome to the fold, great car you've got and pleased to see it's not left the forum! I've got a JT on mine and it's a fair bit louder than standard but I like it, that said mines a saloon and I think they don't suffer with so much droning as the estates do...?