Tuesday 17th June 2014, 19:17
I've been saying this for years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1QL9veQaNg

ROZER
Tuesday 17th June 2014, 19:44
am off to Halfords for some black paint .:uglyhamme

p fandango
Tuesday 17th June 2014, 19:59
So these people putting smaller shiny intercooler on with longer pipework, replacing Volvo's large black short piped intercooler are doing themselves no good at all lol

claymore
Tuesday 17th June 2014, 20:02
So these people putting smaller shiny intercooler on with longer pipework, replacing Volvo's large black short piped intercooler are doing themselves no good at all lol

If you use a shiny new big intercooler, it's worth painting it black.

T5RatherAmusin
Tuesday 17th June 2014, 20:06
The iats with air flowing at the rad was 3 deg worse off with the black
so once the cars moving it aint worth the bother

claymore
Tuesday 17th June 2014, 20:12
The iats with air flowing at the rad was 3 deg worse off with the black
so once the cars moving it aint worth the bother
Which is why this thread is aimed at people who do quarter mile days, a lot of time is spent waiting to go on track, so anything that can dissipate the heat with the car stationary the better it will be.

stribo
Tuesday 17th June 2014, 20:30
If you think I'm taking it all apart again just to paint it black, you can think again. :P It is bolted to the black a/c rad, will that help?;)

Harvey
Tuesday 17th June 2014, 20:33
If you think I'm taking it all apart again just to paint it black, you can think again. :P It is bolted to the black a/c rad, will that help?;)

No if the aircon is on,as the condenser gets hot on its own when the aircon is running !,but the fan will be running so should cool it down.

stribo
Tuesday 17th June 2014, 20:35
No if the aircon is on,as the condenser gets hot on its own when the aircon is running !,but the fan will be running so should cool it down.

My a/c doesn't work at the moment, needs a regas. lol

Harvey
Tuesday 17th June 2014, 20:37

But has anyone got the air con working in reverse , condenser in the cabin & Evaporator in the engine bay ?.

stribo
Tuesday 17th June 2014, 20:41
But has anyone got the air con working in reverse , condenser in the cabin & Evaporator in the engine bay ?.

It might get rather hot in the car. ;)

craigoodwood
Tuesday 17th June 2014, 22:19
i sprayed my black one silver :hidesbehi

smithy
Tuesday 17th June 2014, 22:40
Put builders ice on the intercooler before race job done lol

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 18th June 2014, 09:07
Just use your nitrous purge pointed to the intercooler like I did. At minus 180'c that's the way to go.
apparently some racers fit a co2 bottle to use for intercooler cooling only as its much cheaper to buy than nos.

if you use your a/c in the queue be very aware you could get chucked off the track at the startline for dropping water from the condensation pipe.
saw this happen to people several times. just get hot, push your car when in the queue and put up with it.

LiamT4
Wednesday 18th June 2014, 20:38
Just use your nitrous purge pointed to the intercooler like I did. At minus 180'c that's the way to go.
apparently some racers fit a co2 bottle to use for intercooler cooling only as its much cheaper to buy than nos.

if you use your a/c in the queue be very aware you could get chucked off the track at the startline for dropping water from the condensation pipe.
saw this happen to people several times. just get hot, push your car when in the queue and put up with it.

Never happened to me and i always sat in my car with the ac on, they just asked if i had the ac on and let me go...............push a V8 5 series when its 25C plus????? I don't think so ;)

LiamT4
Wednesday 18th June 2014, 20:52
Interesting video and it does make perfect sense.

Same reason as to why having black radiators in your house makes them more efficient.