PDA

View Full Version : T5 Owners....

massivewangers
Thursday 12th June 2014, 16:52
I was randomly browsing the internet and noticed that Auto Trader states that a manual P2 V70 T5 should do just about 39mpg in extra urban conditions. Is that actually true?

My old 850 T-5 used to just about manage 32mpg if driven sensibly over long distance. My current V70 D5 does just about bang on the claimed extra urban of 52mpg on a dual carriageway.

Sitting at a steady 70mph, what do your T5s actually do? Calculated preferably, though it would be interesting to know what the trip computer claims as well.

M-R-P
Thursday 12th June 2014, 17:00
39-41 if I can behave.

volvokid
Thursday 12th June 2014, 17:06
39-41 if I can behave.

That's an a a average over 1mile down a hill out of gear ��

M-R-P
Thursday 12th June 2014, 17:11
That's an a a average over 1mile down a hill out of gear ��

That's a very healthy engine with clean injectors, unrestricted airflow in, unrestricted gasflow out and slightly overinflated tyres ;)

I'm off to see Graham tomorrow, I'll post a pic or two of the trip computer when I'm home.

T5frankie
Thursday 12th June 2014, 17:49
i managed 35.1 doing 80 ish on the way back from manchester

S70T5Chris
Thursday 12th June 2014, 17:56
That's a very healthy engine with clean injectors, unrestricted airflow in, unrestricted gasflow out and slightly overinflated tyres ;)

I'm off to see Graham tomorrow, I'll post a pic or two of the trip computer when I'm home.

The trip computer's a lying son of a bitch though :uglyhamme

M-R-P
Thursday 12th June 2014, 18:19
The trip computer's a lying son of a bitch though :uglyhamme

The torque app is only about 1 off the trip computer tho.

S70T5Chris
Thursday 12th June 2014, 18:28
The torque app is only about 1 off the trip computer tho.

That's also a lying son of a bitch then :uglyhamme

M-R-P
Thursday 12th June 2014, 18:32
Jealousy is a terrible thing mate;)

Jamest5r
Thursday 12th June 2014, 18:35
I find not looking and just fill up when it needs it is the best policy :)

S70T5Chris
Thursday 12th June 2014, 18:46
Jealousy is a terrible thing mate;)

Zero jealousy here mate! :P MPG isn't a concern of mine in the slightest, otherwise I wouldn't have the cars I do!

You're talking 630 miles from a tank on a P2 V70 T5! I find that hard to believe. D5's will barely be returning that! Most D5's trip computers will read 50+mpg, when in reality a D5 will averagely return 40-45mpg, maybe a touch higher on a run, if driven far too sensibly.

Nealevo
Thursday 12th June 2014, 18:55
Approx 65mpg if i behave, or 58mpg if i play..... I love my T5

stribo
Thursday 12th June 2014, 20:08
Since I changed the intake in the R Rachel's taken it on a run down the M3, doing between 50 and 70ish, the trip computer said 38mpg. I'm with Chris, just stick petrol in when it needs it, and to hell with the consumption (unless it drops into single figures, then there's likely to be a problem) ;)

expolicev70t5
Thursday 12th June 2014, 20:54
I manage 38.4 on combined driving since new maf and terraclean. Not had it on a run yet

LeeT5
Friday 13th June 2014, 01:32
For clarification:

Urban Cycle

The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20oC to 30oC on a rolling road from a cold start, i.e. the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerating and idling. Maximum speed is 31mph (50km/h), average speed 12mph (19km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4km).

Extra-Urban Cycle

This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75mph (120km/h), average speed is 39mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3miles (7km).

massivewangers
Friday 13th June 2014, 08:30
Interesting.

Only asking out of curiousity as 39mpg seemed a slightly bold claim, so was just interested in what people get on a 70mph run.

My D5 tends to do 49-52 on my commute (80% dual carriageway with a few roundabouts). On a longer run over the weekend it will do 55-56 at a push, that's still sitting at 70mph. Was just curious really.

For what it's worth, my trip computer generally reads around 10% over the figures quoted above.

Gold 'N' Brown
Friday 13th June 2014, 14:34
The problem with this sort of topic is that there's so many factors that can affect things, and it's entirely dependent on how people are measuring things.

So for example, asking what MPG somebody gets at a 70 mph cruise on the motorway, by what method are we going to measure that? You could get up to cruising speed and then reset the computer, and measure the average over a mile, but it's not going to be the most accurate average, even if the computer is spot on accurate.

Look at how MPG varies in real time on the computer. Even driving at a steady cruise, it can vary massively due to factors you may not even by aware of. Wind speed and direction will have a huge effect. Inclines that you may not even be able to percept will have a huge effect. Even the road surface.

So one person says "I get 35mpg average from my T5" and another says "I've never managed more than 30mpg in my T5". Is there something fundamentally different between the two cars? Is the latter car not as healthy? Well, yes may be the answer to both. But it's also just as likely to be more down to driver style and environmental factors.

Take comparisons between cars and other people with a pinch of salt. All that really matters is monitoring your own MPG over time and watching for trends within it. Even if you don;t care for economy, by monitoring your own MPG you might spot an early warning sign of something not being at full health when your MPG suddenly takes a turn for the worse.

Edited to add: I do understand how to calculate average MPG and I wasn't implying that those who have posted before me don't know. I just get the impression from the many such topics that I've read in the past that some people post spurious claims because of HOW they are calculating their MPG.

massivewangers
Friday 13th June 2014, 15:39
I understand that there are a lot of factors, I was just curious to get a feel for what people actually get.

Merely because I happened to stumble across an ad for a T5 and noticed the claimed figures.

It was idle curiousity as opposed to a need for any kind of precise science :smile: