PDA

View Full Version : Modifying 2003 V70 D5...

massivewangers
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 14:21
I've had my '03 plate V70 for almost six months now and it's a great car, spacious, comfortable and well equipped. The fuel efficiency is ludicrously impressive for such a big heavy car, so generally I'm quite pleased with it.

However, my last car was a Mondeo ST220, which was obviously a bit more exciting to drive. Apart from the nice V6 petrol engine, my favourite thing about the ST was the way it drove, with nice crisp steering that gave lots of feedback. Obviously the Volvo is never going to be like that as it's a very different beast, but I was wondering what others have done to improve handling/steering feel on their cars and what options might be out there.

I don't want to totally spoil the ride on the car, as it is way better than the Mondeo, and I kind of like that, but it would be nice if it was a little more confidence inspiring when you're pushing on, so am willing to compromise a little comfort in the name of driving pleasure.

It's about to have an MOT and has a couple of front suspension knocks, so if things are going to need replacing, I figure now is probably the time to look at upgrades.

I'm interested in suspension changes, but also brakes too if there's an effective upgrade that can be borrowed from a newer/better model.

Once all this is done, then maybe I'll give in and have it remapped too!

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 14:47
Don't worry lads... I've got this :D

The knocks will most likely be the wishbone bushes. Here's what to do...Powerflexing the wishbones (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?38699-How-to-polybush-your-wishbones-while-changing-shocks&highlight=) This alone will transform the feel of the front end, giving more feedback and more confidence through the corners. You can also change the other wishbone bushes, but I'd recommend Meyle HD bushes as the powerfles bushes make it a right bugger to get the wishbones back on the car. front wishbone rear bush fitting. (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?50908-Front-wishbone-rear-bush-fitting-easy!&highlight=)

Brakes...
Dot 5.1 fluid and braded hoses are a good start. Then pick up a set of XC90 front calipers (the ones with 336mm disks), drill the mounting holes on the stub axles out to 14mm, fit standard OE 336mm XC90 disks with Mintex pads. These brakes will fit snugly under 17" wheels and believe me - they're bloody good.

T5RatherAmusin
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 15:06
id get the droplinks done while your at it.
also some decent tyres will build confidence to throw the car around some bends.
ive found the vredestein vorti work perfectly for the car ;)

Plodmonkey
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 16:24
Uprate the suspension parts for volvo do a good kit also try get some strut braces they will make a good difference
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_189_1092&products_id=7668

massivewangers
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 16:54
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but, due to working totally ridiculous hours, I don't have much time for searching so went for the lazy approach!

I am pretty convinced the knocking is coming from the wishbones, but going to get it up in the air later to confirm.

Weirdly it also knocks when you engage first gear, and when you change gear and come off the clutch (unless you're obscenely gentle).

I've done the upper engine mount along with the two bushes for the cross bar thing, but that didn't seem to fix it. I wonder if another mount is on the way out, but I've not really done any thorough investigations thus far.

As I say, with the MOT looming, it's time to fix a few niggles and I might as well upgrade as I go along.

Tyre-wise it has Pirelli P6000s, which are ok. Not the best, but at least they're not the usual ditchfinders you find on most used cars!

massivewangers
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 17:06
Just for my own sanity, if it does turn out to be the bushes, I guess it's these ones that you mean?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S60-S80-V70-XC70-FRONT-ARM-REAR-WISHBONE-SUSPENSION-BUSH-MEYLE-HEAVY-DUTY-/171068854653?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AV70&hash=item27d47f917d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V70-2000-on-Powerflex-Front-Lower-Wishbone-Front-Bushes-PFF88-601-/370773294465?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5653cf7d81

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 17:28
The knock when changing gear is one or both of the hub bolts needing tightening mate... Easy one that :)

Redbrick
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:08
I was wondering what others have done to improve handling/steering feel on their cars and what options might be out there.

I have a '52 D5 with 220K and this is what I've done:

IPD front and rear ARB's (rears not so important)
Meyle HD droplinks
Powerflex wishbone bushes
Standard rear nivomats
Bilstein B6 HD front shocks
'standard' dynamic sports chassis springs
235/40 18's most of the time
IPD upper engine torque bar mounts
Strut brace
Proper Volvo tracking adjusting the rear as well
305mm Volvo T5 brake discs
Volvo plod spec pads
Volvo standard brake fluid changed annually

In my experience 320's and dot 5.1 are totally unnecessary, I've never needed more than I have in day to day driving and the odd lap at Castle Combe. Destroyed my turbo; brakes were fine other than boiling the paint off my callipers!

FWIW P6000's have a terrible reputation.

stribo
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:24
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but, due to working totally ridiculous hours, I don't have much time for searching so went for the lazy approach!

I am pretty convinced the knocking is coming from the wishbones, but going to get it up in the air later to confirm.

Weirdly it also knocks when you engage first gear, and when you change gear and come off the clutch (unless you're obscenely gentle).

I've done the upper engine mount along with the two bushes for the cross bar thing, but that didn't seem to fix it. I wonder if another mount is on the way out, but I've not really done any thorough investigations thus far.

As I say, with the MOT looming, it's time to fix a few niggles and I might as well upgrade as I go along.

Tyre-wise it has Pirelli P6000s, which are ok. Not the best, but at least they're not the usual ditchfinders you find on most used cars!

The knock when changing gear is one or both of the hub bolts needing tightening mate... Easy one that :)

If it's not the driveshaft bolts, it could be the torque mount bushes, between the engine and front of the subframe.

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:35
I used halfrauds manifold paint on my calipers :)

I don't know about the 320 kit but refurbished xc90 calipers can be bought for about 65 quid and I'm guessing the 320 calipers (same caliper, different hanger body) would be about the same. I got the whole kit - calipers, disks, steering limiter arms, pads and hoses for 125 quid just before I was planning to spend roughly the same money on 305mm disks and pads, so it was a no-brainer really. The stopping power is awesome and in about 6000 miles of driving since fitting them, there's now only slight signs of wear.

But the biggest plus for me with the 336 kit is bling - they look effin' massive behind my alloys :D

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:36
If it's not the driveshaft bolts, it could be the torque mount bushes, between the engine and front of the subframe.

Possible but when the smaller bush failed, I didn't get any noise at all, I only spotted it when I was under the car, changing the recirc valve.

stribo
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:38
Possible but when the smaller bush failed, I didn't get any noise at all, I only spotted it when I was under the car, changing the recirc valve.

I get it in the C70, and I don't have driveshaft bolts. ;)

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:41
That's just your coilivers jumping about. "CLANG"

stribo
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:42
That's just your coilivers jumping about. "CLANG"

Since I lowered it at the weekend, it's all gone quiet. :D

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:45
That's because you can't put enough turn on the steering to get it to clang any more lol.

stribo
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:46
That's because you can't put enough turn on the steering to get it to clang any more lol.

That's true, it's as bad as the R now. lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:48
That bad? Bugger that :hilarious

stribo
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:49
That bad? Bugger that :hilarious

Won't be for long though as I have some 15mm spacers to go on all round, then Ikea West Quay car park will be a piece of cake. :D

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:51
Full lock in the sweed :(

stribo
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 19:16
Full lock in the sweed :(

Not tried it in the R, don't want to get stuck. :D

Redbrick
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 20:49
I used halfrauds manifold paint on my calipers :)

I don't know about the 320 kit but refurbished xc90 calipers can be bought for about 65 quid and I'm guessing the 320 calipers (same caliper, different hanger body) would be about the same. I got the whole kit - calipers, disks, steering limiter arms, pads and hoses for 125 quid just before I was planning to spend roughly the same money on 305mm disks and pads, so it was a no-brainer really. The stopping power is awesome and in about 6000 miles of driving since fitting them, there's now only slight signs of wear.

But the biggest plus for me with the 336 kit is bling - they look effin' massive behind my alloys :D

Believe me if I could fit 320's behind ex-plod Metis wheels with winter tyres then I would have done it by now. Not knocking the upgrade, they certainly look good, just saying 305's on a dirty diesel are enough. It's also about pad choice; standard stuff not man enough, yellow stuff I threw in the bin, Plod pads are brilliant. I'm sure a set of Carbotech XP12's would rock!

Plodmonkey
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 21:10
We're do you get plod pads is it from volvo them selves

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 21:30
Believe me if I could fit 320's behind ex-plod Metis wheels with winter tyres then I would have done it by now. Not knocking the upgrade, they certainly look good, just saying 305's on a dirty diesel are enough. It's also about pad choice; standard stuff not man enough, yellow stuff I threw in the bin, Plod pads are brilliant. I'm sure a set of Carbotech XP12's would rock!
I had plod pads on brembo rotors when I was running 305s and they were brilliant but the pad outlasted the disk - I'd have probably got through 1.5 - 2 disks before changing the pads. The stronger caliper and bigger disks with the xc kit is in another realm altogether but like you say, not always suitable.

We're do you get plod pads is it from volvo them selves

I honestly don't remember, may have been eBay or probably a main stealer.

massivewangers
Thursday 12th June 2014, 07:54
Thanks for all the input so far. Plenty of food for thought there. I don't want to go too mad, as it's a 10 year old car with 130k on the clock, but if I can do a couple of bits to make it feel a bit more engaging then all the better, especially if it's just replacing worn parts that I would have to buy anyway.

When you say "driveshaft bolts", what exactly are you referring to?

Had a little look under the car last night, only with it on its wheels and couldn't feel anything too obvious amiss, even trying to lever things about with a pry bar. There does look to be a little bit of perishing in the control arm bushes, so that could be the place to start. Going to get it up in the air at the weekend and have a better look if I have more time.

Another slightly random question (I might as well keep it all in one place!)...

I absolutely hate the front bumper on the car, it looks a bit wet. An R bumper isn't something I really want to invest in, but I notice that S60 bumpers are remarkably cheap. I've even seen a few in the same colour as my car. Are these a straight swap? They look a little better with round fogs and the prettier grill so it might be a cheap, subtle improvement.

M-R-P
Thursday 12th June 2014, 08:08
Thanks for all the input so far. Plenty of food for thought there. I don't want to go too mad, as it's a 10 year old car with 130k on the clock, but if I can do a couple of bits to make it feel a bit more engaging then all the better, especially if it's just replacing worn parts that I would have to buy anyway.

When you say "driveshaft bolts", what exactly are you referring to?

Had a little look under the car last night, only with it on its wheels and couldn't feel anything too obvious amiss, even trying to lever things about with a pry bar. There does look to be a little bit of perishing in the control arm bushes, so that could be the place to start. Going to get it up in the air at the weekend and have a better look if I have more time.

Another slightly random question (I might as well keep it all in one place!)...

I absolutely hate the front bumper on the car, it looks a bit wet. An R bumper isn't something I really want to invest in, but I notice that S60 bumpers are remarkably cheap. I've even seen a few in the same colour as my car. Are these a straight swap? They look a little better with round fogs and the prettier grill so it might be a cheap, subtle improvement.

I may as well celebrate my 20,000th post with something useful...

Driveshaft bolts... grab a small screwdriver and pry the center cap off your front wheels. behind it is the bolt that locks the driveshaft into the hub. Chances are it will have worked loose. remove it, loctite it and wind it back in. Don't overtighten it as it's a stretch bolt and can snap. Replacing it with XC90 bolts will halp prevent it working loose again.

Lever the front bush on the control arms - that's where they usually fail, it's also the one you want to fit a polyurethane bush to.

The S60 bumper will indeed fit but you'll need to change the wing brackets to accommodate the different bumper.

It's a 10 year old car with 130K? barely run-in mate. Mine's the same age with 211K on it and still going strong - mod away :)

Right, I'm going for a lay down.

stribo
Thursday 12th June 2014, 08:52
I may as well celebrate my 20,000th post with something useful...

Driveshaft bolts... grab a small screwdriver and pry the center cap off your front wheels. behind it is the bolt that locks the driveshaft into the hub. Chances are it will have worked loose. remove it, loctite it and wind it back in. Don't overtighten it as it's a stretch bolt and can snap. Replacing it with XC90 bolts will halp prevent it working loose again.

Lever the front bush on the control arms - that's where they usually fail, it's also the one you want to fit a polyurethane bush to.

The S60 bumper will indeed fit but you'll need to change the wing brackets to accommodate the different bumper.

It's a 10 year old car with 130K? barely run-in mate. Mine's the same age with 211K on it and still going strong - mod away :)

Right, I'm going for a lay down.

A useful post? from you? whatever next, JamesT5 listening to advice? ;)

As Martin said 130K isn't high miles for a Volvo, my C70 is 16 years old, has 145K, and regularly gets thrashed up the drag strip.:D

massivewangers
Thursday 12th June 2014, 08:53
Ohhhhh, that bolt. Lordy, that comes loose? That doesn't sound ever so good...

What's the torque setting for it? I assume it will be a big old thing, so I might not have a suitable socket for it.

I had a quick look at the front bushes. They do look very slightly perished and did feel a little loose when levered, so I suspect they are the issue. A friend is a Powerflex dealer so I've asked for a price anyway.

Bumper I will look into post-MOT perhaps, not exactly urgent.

Unfortunately I do just over 30k a year so there's not a huge amount of point in me keeping cars for long periods, as I can make them worthless pretty quickly!

stribo
Thursday 12th June 2014, 08:54
Not sure on the torque setting, but it's only a small bolt, 13mm at a guess.

M-R-P
Thursday 12th June 2014, 08:58
Ohhhhh, that bolt. Lordy, that comes loose? That doesn't sound ever so good...

What's the torque setting for it? I assume it will be a big old thing, so I might not have a suitable socket for it.

I had a quick look at the front bushes. They do look very slightly perished and did feel a little loose when levered, so I suspect they are the issue. A friend is a Powerflex dealer so I've asked for a price anyway.

Bumper I will look into post-MOT perhaps, not exactly urgent.

Unfortunately I do just over 30k a year so there's not a huge amount of point in me keeping cars for long periods, as I can make them worthless pretty quickly!

15mm head I believe but not 100%, 25ft/bl then 90 degrees but be careful, as I said, there prone to snapping and sometimes they strip their own thread. Don't worry about safety - mine ran with a bolt missing for over a year, the driveshaft won't fall out, it'll just make loads of noise.

30K a year is nothing to these cars if looked after.

Redbrick
Thursday 12th June 2014, 09:09
P2 Plod spec pads 30776711 but check before ordering, don't blame me if that is wrong, I've just made a note of it for my reference when I re-order!

Callipers are the same from 286 to 305 but carriers are different.

Be careful getting Goodridge brake lines for 305's as they are too short...

M-R-P
Thursday 12th June 2014, 12:08
Be careful getting Goodridge brake lines for 305's as they are too short...

Mine were bang-on and I reused them for the 336mm kit. Perhaps you were sold the hoses for a P1?

massivewangers
Friday 13th June 2014, 08:32
Well, I looked. And I'm missing a driveshaft bolt on the nearside, so that probably isn't helping...

A call to the dealer this morning methinks!

M-R-P
Friday 13th June 2014, 08:34
Well, I looked. And I'm missing a driveshaft bolt on the nearside, so that probably isn't helping...

A call to the dealer this morning methinks!

Thought so ;)

Ask the dealer for a pair of XC90 bolts as they have a rubber washer designed to stop the bolt working loose.

massivewangers
Friday 13th June 2014, 12:56
Going to the dealer tomorrow. They keep them in stock apparently so that will be one thing off the list at least. There's a piece of trim that sits under the chassis leg above the shaft that's broken too, so trying to identify that too, as it's hanging down and rubbing on the shaft.

massivewangers
Friday 13th June 2014, 13:54
Are there two different types of front lower arm bush?

I've got a price for the bushes from a Powerflex dealer, but he has been told that the front bush only fits cars that have a shaped bar (the one that fits through the centre of the bush), not ones with a straight bar.

Is there two different sorts? If so, is there any way of telling which you have without removing the arm?

Redbrick
Friday 13th June 2014, 22:15
Are there two different types of front lower arm bush?

I've got a price for the bushes from a Powerflex dealer, but he has been told that the front bush only fits cars that have a shaped bar (the one that fits through the centre of the bush), not ones with a straight bar.

Is there two different sorts? If so, is there any way of telling which you have without removing the arm?

There is that issue with P2 wishbones. AFAIK genuine have the cut out in the bars, pattern parts don't. If in the end you have straight bars you could get them turned down, I've seen people using angle grinders. lol

M-R-P
Friday 13th June 2014, 23:41
Yep, I used an angle grinder and a bench grinder to tidy it up. The later genuine volvo bushes use a straight bar and frankly, crap rubber bushes (worse than the old ones) the easy way to tell is if you see volvo written anywhere on the rubber bit and it seems to be comprised of 2 blocks with a gap that you can sometimes see through, it'll be a straight bar. Grinding the bar only takes a few minutes.