PDA

View Full Version : Xc 90 T6 LPG conversion. To buy or not to buy?

neil298
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 20:19
I'm looking at a 53 plate T6 awd with 98k on the clock,it has had a prinz LPG conversion done,I was wondering if anyone coul share/ shed any light on what I should look out for on this. I have driven it and it's a quality drive but can anyone reveal if this is something I should steer clear of if it's got a history of problems. Thanks

stribo
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 20:23
The autobox is the achilles heel, and check it is actually AWD, as the Haldex system is known to give problems if not looked after. Other than that I don't know much about the XC90, y2blade has one, but he's rarely on the forum, as he's a moderator. ;)

neil298
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 20:36
It's definitely an awd , it has a tiptronic box, is this the iffy one?

stribo
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 20:41
It's definitely an awd , it has a tiptronic box, is this the iffy one?

Yeah, they're all AWD, but does the AWD work? I think the 5 speed boxes are the iffy ones, the later 6 speed don't give as many problems. All this is hearsay on my part (reading other peoples expeiences), as I've never had an auto Volvo, or an XC90, but the AWD system is the same as our S60R I believe, and the angle gear (transfer box) can fail if they're not maintained properly, in which case you'd end up with a FWD XC90, and a big bill.

M-R-P
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 20:48
Pre-facelift p2 cars of any type can be a total money pit if not looked after.
Look at the history, you want to see...
Transmission service, angle gear, gearbox and diff servicing. Must be regular and recent.
Transmission software updates
Does the speedo have chrome rings on the dials? If not, that's another potentially expensive problem.
Everything working - electrical gremlins plagued all volvos of this age.

The lpg system is probably the most reliable part of the car tbh.

neil298
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 21:42
Is there an easy way to check that the 4 wheel drive is fully working then?..probably not I suspect.Think ive already been put off to be honest,Its all very well having a nice car but I could do without the hassle AND the expense.....are the later models,say 06 onwards a better option with less potential problems?