PDA

View Full Version : a different idle control valve question ;)

theflyingbrick
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 18:03
ok so after sundays disappointment ive realised I have few gremlins,now the first one is its bogging below 3000 rpm which im thinking is a fuelling issue,but another issue and more annoyingly,is the uppy downy idle with the revs increasing between gear changes,now I know its a well trodden path but..ive cleaned it out so I can hear the valve rattling about and its made no difference,ive also heard of people unplugging them and seen it on pootube as well with no real issues other than the light on the dash,but when I unplug mine it flat refuses to idle!! now am I being stupid?? is this supposed to happen?? how are people running without one plugged in?? im thinking its contributing towards my niggles!! I don't know if its relevant but on idle (with icv plugged in) my vacuum is about -10hg maybe -15hg but again im not sure if that makes any difference lol.

thanks boys and girls :)

T5frankie
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 18:06
it will be your map mate try a different ecu, ive had a map that dropped boost instantly between changes, made the drive very jerky though mate, i didnt like it,i'd imagine engine mounts wouldnt last long

theflyingbrick
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 18:11
im not losing boost between changes its reving right up instead lol

p fandango
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 18:21
Learn to drive/race properly & use it too your advantage then lol. One of BT's new gadgets allows u to keep full throttle on while changing gear :)

theflyingbrick
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 18:24
Learn to drive/race properly & use it too your advantage then lol. One of BT's new gadgets allows u to keep full throttle on while changing gear :)

well ill look forward to an "on the road" review............................................ ...........in 2025 :P

oh and when racing its fine obviously but when im driving "normally" its a pain in the rectum!!

mike 850
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 18:26
is all this since changing to NA cams? is the timing definately ok?

T5frankie
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 18:35

i didnt mean boost i meant revs

theflyingbrick
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 18:39
is all this since changing to NA cams? is the timing definately ok?

i cant remember tbh as the last time i drove it was june 2013!! im gonna check the timing again anyways but i don't think its related to the idle control valve issue

T5frankie
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 18:42
this isnt your icv mate

Nealevo
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 18:47
I have the same problem with mine mate, i too thought it was icv, and i wasn't i tried a good tested one, it will be the map in ecu, if i put it a hlm 304 ecu it runs fine but if i put in my custom mapped ecu it revs up between changes, stop driving like a girl and just enjoy it, a gear change is only milliseconds so you won't notice it too much :)

T5frankie
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 18:52
I have the same problem with mine mate, i too thought it was icv, and i wasn't i tried a good tested one, it will be the map in ecu, if i put it a hlm 304 ecu it runs fine but if i put in my custom mapped ecu it revs up between changes, stop driving like a girl and just enjoy it, a gear change is only milliseconds so you won't notice it too much :)

sure i just said that lol

theflyingbrick
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 18:55
ok so lets just say maybe Frankie was talking sense ;) ill try a different ecu and see if it makes any difference..................I hope it does otherwise they'll be a breaking thread soon :hidesbehi

T5frankie
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 18:57
ok so lets just say maybe Frankie was talking sense ;) ill try a different ecu and see if it makes any difference..................I hope it does otherwise they'll be a breaking thread soon :hidesbehi

mate, ive had more volvos than any one else on here full stop, i think ive picked up a thing or two :uglyhamme

theflyingbrick
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 19:02
lol yeah I suppose you should know a thing or two

T5frankie
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 19:07
lol yeah I suppose you should know a thing or two

not more than three though

claymore
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 19:18
Mine revs up between gears as well, which is why I run my car with the ICV unplugged, the car will take about 20 miles for the ecu to learn and compensate.

richyt5
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 20:25
strange mine sometimes revs up as changing gear thought it mite of been vac pipes but not them but seems like every 850 t5 ive had has done it quite anoying when people are looking at your car then they think you cant drive it when its over revvin

theflyingbrick
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 20:33
Mine revs up between gears as well, which is why I run my car with the ICV unplugged, the car will take about 20 miles for the ecu to learn and compensate.

but that's the problem mate it wont run when its unplugged!! I have to rev the bow locks out of it,dont fancy that for twenty miles lol

stribo
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 20:51
Mine does the same mate, although I never notice on the drag strip as my changes are so quick. ;) I've read on here somewhere about either putting a restrictor in the pipe that goes to the ICV, or stick a jubilee clip around the middle of the pipe, and tighten it to make the pipe smaller (which would be easier). Also is your PCV still standard, or have you got a catch tank (you'd think I'd know having had my head under your bonnet Sunday) as I've also read that higher pressure in the PCV system can cause them to have throttle hang.