PDA

View Full Version : Any one ever had a clogged CAT? (Not feline)

timbo
Monday 9th June 2014, 16:04
Anyone ever had a clogged CAT? My cars giving me some problems, serious lack of power on acceleration and particularly when on boost, spluttery and jerky at times but never stalled yet, getting crap MPG(15-19 at a steady 70mph). No vacuum leaks(trust me I've checked!) all new silicon vac pipes, new PCV/reconed turbo 6k ago, lambda has about 25K on it, new fuel pump/MAF/plugs/dizzy + arm/Leads/intercooler/FPR/TPS! No Lambda light as yet but something's wrong. Im convinced its the CAT as the exhaust smells wrong after a long run, weird thing to say I know but................ I know I need to get the back pressure tested at the lambda/before the CAT but cant do anything for a while as im stuck at work so thought id ask for any advice....

Tim.

M-R-P
Monday 9th June 2014, 16:06
Time for a 3" downpipe and sports cat methinks ;)

timbo
Monday 9th June 2014, 16:13
Lol, good excuse hey Martin!

M-R-P
Monday 9th June 2014, 16:17
It was my excuse lol.

Although, on inspection, it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with the old one other than it being naturally restrictive.

Don't care now, the car goes like a mo-fo with the GWE pipe and the old one will be on fleabay by the end of the week :D

stribo
Monday 9th June 2014, 16:31
Know someone who had a clogged cat on his V6 Mondeo, ran like a bag of ££££, and totally gutless. I gutted it and it was fine, fortunately the V6 Duratec has 3 cats, so you can bin one, and it still passes the MOT with the other 2, not an option on a Volvo.

Joolz_850R
Monday 9th June 2014, 16:58
Mine was completely blocked. Car ran fine no issues just really down on power. Did everything but change the cat, new vac pipes filters sparks. Eventually took the cat off and it was a wonder the car did anything. New 100 cell cat and the thing scared me.LOL

timbo
Monday 9th June 2014, 17:18
Cheers gents! Fingers crossed a GWE 3 incher will sort the old girl out!

Nealevo
Monday 9th June 2014, 17:20
My old Alfa 33 16v track car had a blocked cat once, lack of power and eventually stopped working, took me ages to find the cause. Great excuse for a race dp :)

p fandango
Monday 9th June 2014, 17:42
We had one but in a wheelie bin lol