PDA

View Full Version : Calling all detailing experts!

S70T5Chris
Sunday 8th June 2014, 15:53
When I was younger I used to really enjoy cleaning/detailing the car(s). As the years have gone by, with both spare time being a problem and losing the interest/enjoyment I used to get 10+ years ago from cleaning the car, I've kind of lost touch with it a bit. However over the last year or so I've picked up the polishing cloths again, and am getting that enjoyment back that I used to have from giving the car a good going over!

I'm not totally thick when it comes to cleaning/polishing/etc, but I really would like try my hand at some proper detailing. Over the summer I want to give all the cars a full detail/restoration to the best of my ability.

I'm very tempted to get a machine polisher, as I think that's the only way to get rid of swirl marks and get a proper depth to the paint? What would anyone recommend for a newbie? Years ago I did buy a porter cable dual action machine, but went halfs with a mate, and never saw the thing, it's long since gone.

I have a fair amount of products in the garage, but other than the odd clay bar or new micro fiber cloths I haven't really bought anything new on that front for quite some time. So what do you recommend? I am a bit out of my depth once people start talking about sealants and glazes and all that kind of stuff!

The one and only time I used the porter cable polish went absolutely everywhere!! Was I doing something wrong? Does everything need masking up?

Is the snow foam worth while? I have the foam attachment for my karcher pressure washer.

So what i'm after is can you recommend me a poilshing machine, the different stages of washing/restoring/polishing/waxing/etc with links to which ever products you recommend, down to which wash mits, polishing cloths, etc. What processes I need to follow, the whole shabang! I'm quite prepared to spend a decent wedge, so don't be shy!

Over to you geeks. :B_thumb:

jimka
Sunday 8th June 2014, 16:00
More than welcome to pop over at some point and try some of my toys, and cleaning stuff.. :)

V70 Graham
Sunday 8th June 2014, 16:01
You need one of these Chris.....

http://www.meguiars-online.co.uk/shop/products/meguiars-g220-dual-action-polishing-machine/

Sharkey bought one last year and I picked mine up earlier this year, and if I manage then anyone can, really easy to use with virtually no risk to your paint, make sure you apply the polish to the pad then hold the pad against the car BEFORE switching on to save polish flying everywhere :B_thumb:

Polished bliss etc always have good deals on starter kits (machine, polish and pads)

T5RatherAmusin
Sunday 8th June 2014, 16:10
youd be best off with a daspro...
some decent various 3m or monza pads.
polishes are a preference thing, but ie megs 105 then 205. carnauba and speed glaze are good...
can never have too many microfibres.!
the karchers foam bottle is ££££e, get a propper lance attachment. magifoams good...
its a quick n easy clean between polishing time...

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/cat_81.html

volvokid
Sunday 8th June 2014, 16:15
You need one of these Chris.....

http://www.meguiars-online.co.uk/shop/products/meguiars-g220-dual-action-polishing-machine/

Sharkey bought one last year and I picked mine up earlier this year, and if I manage then anyone can, really easy to use with virtually no risk to your paint, make sure you apply the polish to the pad then hold the pad against the car BEFORE switching on to save polish flying everywhere :B_thumb:

Polished bliss etc always have good deals on starter kits (machine, polish and pads)

This is the one I use, but I believe there are better ones out now but they are double the price.
Chris go onto polishedbliss web site there are how too's on there .

jimka
Sunday 8th June 2014, 16:40
youd be best off with a daspro...
some decent various 3m or monza pads.
polishes are a preference thing, but ie megs 105 then 205. carnauba and speed glaze are good...
can never have too many microfibres.!
the karchers foam bottle is ££££e, get a propper lance attachment. magifoams good...
its a quick n easy clean between polishing time...

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/cat_81.html

I'm using the Daspro with menzerna range. snow foam is a waste of money in my opinion.

M-R-P
Sunday 8th June 2014, 16:43
9" Angle grinder with a 7" waffle pad. Poorboys ssr2 cutting compound, autoglym super resin polish, poorboys sealer.

easy :)

RollingThunder
Monday 9th June 2014, 08:53
This is what I used on my old 850R - http://i4detailing.co.uk/shop/kestrel-das6-dual-action-machine-polisher.html Used a variety of pads and Menzerna products IIRC Haven't used it since I sold the old girl though... But I will be using it on the BoneWagon once its back on the road.

I used Dodo Juice when cleaning/polishing by hand. Love it, the lime for cleaning and the orange crush on my old bronze coloured Discovery (also since sold on!). Embarrassed to admit that I've only used bog std AutoGlym on HotRod, just haven't had any time to do it properly yet.

stribo
Monday 9th June 2014, 09:10
What you need to do Chris is drive your cars, rather than spending every spare minute polishing them.;)

S70T5Chris
Monday 9th June 2014, 10:58
I do drive them, every day 😜. I do 5 or 6 track days a year all over the country, plus an annual trip to the nurburgring. Plus various club meets when I can. I don't think a bi-monthly polish, with a couple of washes in between, in order to keep them nice, is excessive?

I was going to use a detailing company to do a full detail on all 3 cars, but I'm well into 4 figures if I went down that route, plus I am actually really starting to enjoy doing it, hence the thread.

Shinsplintz 101
Monday 9th June 2014, 12:11
I'm fairly new to the detailing aspect of car ownership - normally a bit of fairy liquid & an old sponge to wash the van! - but since I got the R I thought I'd invest a bit of time & effort into keeping the old girl looking good. I bought a rotary polisher for about £100 on amazon [will try & find the link later] came with a massive bag of waffle pads/ sponges/buffing pads etc.. bought myself the Megs' ultimate compound & the 1-2-3 crystal care pack and had a good old crack at bringing the paintwork back - like you mentioned I used WAY TOO MUCH polish, which is a royal PITA to get off the rubber door seals & other nooks & crannies. I went for the megs as I assumed being a mainstream product it would be more forgiving on the novice, which combined with my lack of experience with a rotary polisher proved to be a blessing. I expect you'd get a better result with some of the harsher compounds & more expensive polishes/waxes but the megs stuff gave the car a really deep wet look & corrected the worst of the paint blemishes.

Will probably move on to some of the more Gucci gear once my confidence grows but for a novice with a heavy hand I found the megs stuff gave good results & was less than £50 for the lot.

Just started using snow foam, lance arrived last week - not convinced its all that special really, ended up having to sponge the car to get it really clean, but it does make the kids laugh when applying!! I could only get hold of the demonshine stuff from carplan which I suspect is half the problem so will give it another go with a better brand before I give up on it completely :)

Good luck with it all, Cheers, Morgan

volvokid
Monday 9th June 2014, 14:37
I'm using the Daspro with menzerna range. snow foam is a waste of money in my opinion.

I really rate snow foaming a car, not for it's cleaning property's but for lubrication.
When I snow foam the car I leave it to start breaking down dirt, once I wash it off I know the car won't be clean, but then as I wash each pannel I apply more foam this helps to reduce marring the paint, just like you wouldn't wash a car with out wetting it first I feel the foam reduces the risk of damaging the paint.

volvokid
Monday 9th June 2014, 14:41
I'm fairly new to the detailing aspect of car ownership - normally a bit of fairy liquid & an old sponge to wash the van! - but since I got the R I thought I'd invest a bit of time & effort into keeping the old girl looking good. I bought a rotary polisher for about £100 on amazon [will try & find the link later] came with a massive bag of waffle pads/ sponges/buffing pads etc.. bought myself the Megs' ultimate compound & the 1-2-3 crystal care pack and had a good old crack at bringing the paintwork back - like you mentioned I used WAY TOO MUCH polish, which is a royal PITA to get off the rubber door seals & other nooks & crannies. I went for the megs as I assumed being a mainstream product it would be more forgiving on the novice, which combined with my lack of experience with a rotary polisher proved to be a blessing. I expect you'd get a better result with some of the harsher compounds & more expensive polishes/waxes but the megs stuff gave the car a really deep wet look & corrected the worst of the paint blemishes.

Will probably move on to some of the more Gucci gear once my confidence grows but for a novice with a heavy hand I found the megs stuff gave good results & was less than £50 for the lot.

Just started using snow foam, lance arrived last week - not convinced its all that special really, ended up having to sponge the car to get it really clean, but it does make the kids laugh when applying!! I could only get hold of the demonshine stuff from carplan which I suspect is half the problem so will give it another go with a better brand before I give up on it completely :)

Good luck with it all, Cheers, Morgan

The demonshine stuff is probably ok, my megs doesn't clean it either, if you want the foam to make a big impact when cleaning you will need to add degreasers to the mix and with that effect it will remove your LSP and you don't want to do that unless your moving to a different one.

M-R-P
Monday 9th June 2014, 16:10
The Demon shine foam does work - but you may need to foam and blast it twice for the full effect.
I usually leave the foam until it starts to dry (I don't mean actually dry - when the bubbles go, about 5-10 minutes, depending on weather) Then blast it all off. Even gets brake dust off the wheels.

I mix a little Meguires gold class shampoo with it as it aids drying.

AndysR
Monday 9th June 2014, 21:02
Great thread this, I'm in the same position Chris is, in that I want a polisher, and I was seriously considering the Meguiars machine and I've used polished bliss before. Now I've seen a few of you have one think I'll put in an order :)

MIKESC70T5
Monday 9th June 2014, 21:43
I've got the Meg's V2 polisher, lovely bit of kit. Started trying out the G-techniq range of products and very very happy with them, c4, c5 and tyre and trim liquid.

volvokid
Monday 9th June 2014, 21:43
Great thread this, I'm in the same position Chris is, in that I want a polisher, and I was seriously considering the Meguiars machine and I've used polished bliss before. Now I've seen a few of you have one think I'll put in an order :)

Its just a dam shame you cant visit there premises, the 2nd to last time i was there they were detailing an aventador!!! oh and Rich the owner had a brand new white C30 T5 shame he has just swapped it for a fiesta ST lol, Clark the other owner now has a Carrera, never sees the light of day.

As for DA's if you dont want to spend that much, the kestral is just as capable as the megs machine, my dad has that and I have used it before. I would honestly buy that if I wasnt as much of a badge snob.

AndysR
Monday 9th June 2014, 21:49
Its just a dam shame you cant visit there premises, the 2nd to last time i was there they were detailing an aventador!!! oh and Rich the owner had a brand new white C30 T5 shame he has just swapped it for a fiesta ST lol, Clark the other owner now has a Carrera, never sees the light of day.

As for DA's if you dont want to spend that much, the kestral is just as capable as the megs machine, my dad has that and I have used it before. I would honestly buy that if I wasnt as much of a badge snob.

Kestral? Do Polished Bliss sell these as well? I also have used cleanyourcar.co.UK before and they seemed very helpful :)

volvokid
Monday 9th June 2014, 21:52
yeah he bought the more expensive of the 2.

martybelfastt5
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 16:48
this man here is on detailingworld and makes some great videos all be it a bit long lol get a cup of tea he will explain everthing you need to know unvaluable information for the beginer/novice
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvqM4p5XKdXiug656WLmuOg

martybelfastt5
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 16:50
this is part one of his machine polishing for beginers it 4or5 long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-eAddv2sk

Shinsplintz 101
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 17:00
magic!! a brothers gotta polish when a brothers gotta polish......technique trumping product.....magic...lol

strangely watchable however...got a brew on & ready to watch some more :)

volvokid
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 19:37
One of the main things to remember when using a machine is to consentrate, there is no point using it if a mate is there with you because this is when mistakes are most likely to happen, also dont be affraid to hit the pannel for ages you will be surprised how long you really need to go at it with the machine to fully correct it.

no1tosh
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 19:43
personally im a megs man i love the gold class shampoo and cabuana plus wax, ultimate compound and polish.
also i really rate the 3m stuff like fast cut plus.

personally i would start of with a da polisher like the megs ect as it is alot safer. the rottery can batter your car in swirls if your not carful and is very agresive.

ive been using one every day for the past 5 years in the paint shop and my arse still tightens when im buffing edges lol.

if your go to youtube and type in meguiars open garage there are 5 vids showing all you need to know about da's and roterys and the basic's of using both.

hope this helps

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 10th June 2014, 21:45
One of the main things to remember when using a machine is to consentrate, there is no point using it if a mate is there with you because this is when mistakes are most likely to happen, also dont be affraid to hit the pannel for ages you will be surprised how long you really need to go at it with the machine to fully correct it.

With using a detailing spray I could keep going on 1 section for upto 20 minutes. You need to make sure that the polish fully breaks down.

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:23
It's Christmas!

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/913x685q50/834/06rg.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/913x685q50/819/2gfa.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/913x685q50/841/45s2y.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/913x685q90/849/nxw8.jpg

T5RatherAmusin
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:30
:pimp2:

martybelfastt5
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:43
very nice!

stribo
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:48
It's Christmas!

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/913x685q50/834/06rg.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/913x685q50/819/2gfa.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/913x685q50/841/45s2y.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/913x685q90/849/nxw8.jpg

ARe you starting up a detailing business? ;)

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 18:50
Bloody hell!

It's almost like you know someone in the motoring parts and accessories trade...

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 20:45
looks like an excellent selection of products. Did you get some blue 3M tape? need to make sure you protect your edges & it stops polish going down the shuts and keeps rubber off your not inexpensive cutting pads. I also use dust sheets to stop splatter on plastics & windows.

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 21:47
Wow.... That looks like a major ball-ache!

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 21:59
looks like an excellent selection of products. Did you get some blue 3M tape? need to make sure you protect your edges & it stops polish going down the shuts and keeps rubber off your not inexpensive cutting pads. I also use dust sheets to stop splatter on plastics & windows.

I did mate yeah.

Definitely feel like I've set myself one hell of a task!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 22:07
no sh!_t sherlock. I always found Volvo top coat quite hard to cut.

no1tosh
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 22:09
my god you dont do stuff by halfs do you???

like what has been said above just take your time, consentrate and most of all enjoy :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 22:15
Joking aside, there's not many feelings of satisfaction (outside the bedroom or the backstreets of Amsterdam) like the one you get looking at a gleaming car after sweating your knackers off all day.

no1tosh
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 22:21
ill second that, when you get to sit on the lawn with a coffee and a smoke and just stair for ages.

then you always get some cheeky nabour asking when you doing theres lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 22:26
ill second that, when you get to sit on the lawn with a coffee and a smoke and just stair for ages.

then you always get some cheeky nabour asking when you doing theres lol

Ah yes there's always a comedian lol.

Problem I have is my car is white and no matter how hard you try, there's a limit to how shiny it will look.

That's why I like having a go at friends cars these days. The sweed gets polished and waxed of course - it won't get neglected but I'm doing a midnight blue M3 in a few weeks and I can't wait :)

no1tosh
Wednesday 11th June 2014, 22:40
ohhhh that should be swirl heaven for you to sort out lol.

a nice colour to work on though, it will be like glass :)