PDA

View Full Version : 850 speaker change query

woz
Thursday 5th June 2014, 22:56
A little bit of advice needed if anyone can help?

I changed my two dash "tweeter" speakers which were pretty shot. Got a pair off the web someone on here reommended. So they were listed for teh 850 but not a direct fit - some minor mods needed.
Question is...
When I changed them , I wasn't sure whether to keep the capacitor which was in series with the speaker on the outgoing Volvo one, or bin it?

In the intrestes of safety I kept it in although it meant unsolder and re-solder rather than just a plug in job. I figured it must be there to stop a DC current going through the power amp circuits or something.

Any thoughts?? Would I get a better sound if I took it out and would I kill my stereo?
(based on Experience please not surmisements - i can do that myself:>))
Cheers

WOZ p.s its a 96 855 GLT with a Volvo CD/cassette radio SC805 I think, if that makes a difference.

p fandango
Friday 6th June 2014, 06:27
the capacity works as a frequency blocker, it stops the tweeter trying to do frequencies out of its efficiency range (ie mid-range & bass) & creating distortion

woz
Friday 6th June 2014, 17:24
Thanks PF - so I leave it in right?

p fandango
Friday 6th June 2014, 17:36
Thanks PF - so I leave it in right?
The new tweeters should have there own capacitor on them anyway, inless part of a component set that includes an external cross-over. Having a second one on won't hurt as you've done it, but you could of just used the normal speaker wires directly

woz
Saturday 7th June 2014, 19:01
The new tweeters should have there own capacitor on them anyway, inless part of a component set that includes an external cross-over. Having a second one on won't hurt as you've done it, but you could of just used the normal speaker wires directly

OK - I will take it out and see what happens. Pretty sure there is no capacitor in the new ones. I suppose I could just ring the vendor....

Will update when i have done it - thanks for your input:>)))

Theador
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 23:08
I'd leave the cap on of you can't see one on the tweeters you bought. They're usually fairly visible if they're there. In my past experience with ice. A set of tweeters bought on their own would be shipped with an off-board cap so you had the option of using it or not, depending on whether you had active crossovers, or other passive ceossovers already installed. If however you do have a capacitor in your tweeter. Adding another one will change the value at which frequencies are cut. I'm afraid I can't remember the equations for working out the frequency ranges.

OK - I will take it out and see what happens. Pretty sure there is no capacitor in the new ones. I suppose I could just ring the vendor....

Will update when i have done it - thanks for your input:>)))

craigoodwood
Thursday 9th October 2014, 19:53
the cap is there for a reason, if you did away with it it wouldn't be a tweeter it would just be a tiny speaker getting all sound frequencies though it :)