PDA

View Full Version : adjustable fuel reg

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 4th June 2014, 19:59
having fitted an fse adjustable fuel reg I was wondering what the pressure should be at idle? it feels good at 3.2 bar but I don't want to wander to far off the standard pressures until its custom mapped,oh im running 19t and blues by the way ;)

p fandango
Wednesday 4th June 2014, 20:01
your best bet is to get it on the rolling road & get the AFR's set-up on there

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 4th June 2014, 20:06
yeah but im going racing sunday so haven't the time or the money lol that's why I thought just set it to "standard" pressure as to limit any damage I may or may not cause lol

p fandango
Wednesday 4th June 2014, 20:14
yeah but im going racing sunday so haven't the time or the money lol that's why I thought just set it to "standard" pressure as to limit any damage I may or may not cause lol
sounds a good (hopefully safe) plan

Jamest5r
Wednesday 4th June 2014, 20:15
Leave it standard mate, if anything put the standard one back on, mines standard with vxr injectors running my power/boost without problems,

p fandango
Wednesday 4th June 2014, 20:17
Leave it standard mate, if anything put the standard one back on, mines standard with vxr injectors running my power/boost without problems,
or fit a non-adjustable 3bar, again check AFR's afterwards

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 4th June 2014, 20:18

I would do mate but I only put the adjustable one as the original was knackered so thought it was a good idea to replace it with the adjustable ;) is it 3bar at idle do you know?

woz
Wednesday 4th June 2014, 22:24
The standard is 3 Bar so it would be sensible to stick at that untill you get it on the RR.
At idle it should be running closed loop so excess fuelling "should" be resolve by the ECU turning down the duty cycle, within limits.
The pressure is only going to make a massive difference when running on the map.

(Guys - please correct me if I am wrong on this - it is my understanding and I have been known to be wrong)

mike 850
Wednesday 4th June 2014, 22:52
It's 3 bar at 0 manifold pressure so if your idle is approx -20hg you want your fuel pressure at about 2.3 bar

woz
Wednesday 4th June 2014, 22:58
If the issue is HOW to adjust it, rather than what to set it to, couldn't you just set it at 3 bar with the ign on but engine off?? (i.e manifold pressure= atmoshperic)

Mike is right, because the standard reg is designed to keep it at 3 Bar relative to the manifold, not the atmnosphere - that is what the pipe going to the back of it does.

Or simply disconnect that wee pipe before adjusting it? (assume the adjustble reg has the balancing pipe on it??)

claymore
Thursday 5th June 2014, 07:25
I would do mate but I only put the adjustable one as the original was knackered so thought it was a good idea to replace it with the adjustable ;) is it 3bar at idle do you know?
3 bar at idle with the vacuum pipe disconnected.

theflyingbrick
Thursday 5th June 2014, 18:15
3 bar at idle with the vacuum pipe disconnected.

do I leave the vaccum pipe open or blank it off?

theflyingbrick
Thursday 5th June 2014, 18:15
It's 3 bar at 0 manifold pressure so if your idle is approx -20hg you want your fuel pressure at about 2.3 bar

mine idles at -10hg!!

mike 850
Thursday 5th June 2014, 19:46
I think it should be around -20hg and you want the VAC connected its what keeps the fuel pressure inline with the manifold pressure

theflyingbrick
Thursday 5th June 2014, 20:58
hmm ok so is there something wrong then?? and now im confused,do I adjust at idle with the vacuum line on or off??

mike 850
Thursday 5th June 2014, 21:15
Lol, sorry for confusing, you want to set the fuel pressure with it disconnected so its not on a vacuum, then plug it back in again, pressure should naturally drop because the manifold is in vacuum. Last 3 t5's I've had all idle about - 20 to - 24inhg

theflyingbrick
Thursday 5th June 2014, 21:21
ok cheers ill have a play about tomorrow ;) I used to just adjust it until it felt ok but seeing as im racing it sunday I don't want to take any chances!! regards the vaccum mine used to idle at -20hg but since the work its now -10 so im not sure what would make it different but there you go lol

mike 850
Thursday 5th June 2014, 21:26
What work did you do? Possible air leak?

theflyingbrick
Thursday 5th June 2014, 21:38
nah theres no air leaks the only thing that's changed from the last set up is na cams and light weight pulley!! but ill double check leaks anyways ;)

stribo
Thursday 5th June 2014, 21:48
ok cheers ill have a play about tomorrow ;) I used to just adjust it until it felt ok but seeing as im racing it sunday I don't want to take any chances!! regards the vaccum mine used to idle at -20hg but since the work its now -10 so im not sure what would make it different but there you go lol

Have you fitted a freer flowing air filter?

theflyingbrick
Thursday 5th June 2014, 22:02
Have you fitted a freer flowing air filter?

yes its very free flowing lol sounds like darth vader having an asthma attack under the bonnet!!!

stribo
Thursday 5th June 2014, 22:18
yes its very free flowing lol sounds like darth vader having an asthma attack under the bonnet!!!
That'll be why your vacuum has dropped, the engine isn't having to suck as hard to get air through the filter.

theflyingbrick
Thursday 5th June 2014, 22:19
That'll be why your vacuum has dropped, the engine isn't having to suck as hard to get air through the filter.

so maybe an extra 5 bhp then?? ;)

stribo
Thursday 5th June 2014, 22:35

Maybe, before you get heatsoak. ;)

theflyingbrick
Thursday 5th June 2014, 22:40
not at the speeds ill be doing :eclipsee_

mike 850
Thursday 5th June 2014, 22:48
im sure itll be the timing from the cams that is causing it, probably something with the overlap, what timings did you do?

woz
Thursday 5th June 2014, 22:59
yeah but only at idle

LOL

theflyingbrick
Thursday 5th June 2014, 23:14
im sure itll be the timing from the cams that is causing it, probably something with the overlap, what timings did you do?

ahh cant remember now it was 5 and 4 one was advanced and one retarded but I cant remember which way round,ive got it written down somewhere

edit..think it was -5 intake and +4 exhaust

artfulflounder
Thursday 5th June 2014, 23:20

^^^ this , more cam overlap less vacuum,

Would less vacuum have any effect on vacuum for brake booster or throttle response? ???
No idea just asking.