PDA

View Full Version : traction control

the-man-that-can
Monday 2nd June 2014, 13:39
hi all was wondering does the standard traction control still work with a MBC fitted?

M-R-P
Monday 2nd June 2014, 13:51
It'll work up to 20mph, regardless what you do to the engine, it's not the most intelligent system, nor does it cope well with extra power very well.

the-man-that-can
Monday 2nd June 2014, 13:54
So it seems ones right foot is the best form of traction control then huh matie ;) LOL

M-R-P
Monday 2nd June 2014, 13:55
So it seems ones right foot is the best form of traction control then huh matie ;) LOL

Yip - something I've had to relearn since the downpipe went on lol.

ExternalError
Monday 2nd June 2014, 14:00
Mines never on its the 1st button i press after turning the key wish there was a wayto have it off by default

M-R-P
Monday 2nd June 2014, 14:04
On the P2, it doesn't usually make too much difference to wheelspin other than pulling the throttle when you give it too much. What it does do is kill the stability control meaning you're far more likely to climb a tree when you run out of talent. Something the insurance companies like to check... "and why did you turn off the driver aids before you crashed sir?"

ExternalError
Monday 2nd June 2014, 14:15
its never really off anyway on a P2 it just reduces the sensitivity

M-R-P
Monday 2nd June 2014, 14:29
its never really off anyway on a P2 it just reduces the sensitivity

That's the R model mate although, withought going into too much detail... The actual traction control doesn't turn off - that particular system measures the speed of the driven 2 wheels, if it notices too much difference, it applies the brakes to the spinning side to level power delivery.
What gets turned off by the DTSC button is the stability management system. This measures the speed of each wheel and has the ability to apply the brake to any of the 4 wheels, kill the throttle and on the R is far more complicated, incorporating steering wheels position, torque distribution, individual damper movement etc

stribo
Monday 2nd June 2014, 15:12
I've never felt the TRACS cut in on the C70, just spins.

ExternalError
Monday 2nd June 2014, 15:24
Ive felt it cut for a second then just gives up and lets the wheels spin

and thanks for the info Martin I still notice it launches better with teh DTSC button turned off

M-R-P
Monday 2nd June 2014, 15:32
I've never felt the TRACS cut in on the C70, just spins.
P1 TC is nothing short of hopeless, especially when you're throwing silly torque figures at it lol.

Ive felt it cut for a second then just gives up and lets the wheels spin

and thanks for the info Martin I still notice it launches better with teh DTSC button turned off

It's annoying when it cuts the throttle, especially as that's usually the bit that's most fun when exiting a corner :D

Does it launch better?

Or is it because you get that feeling of authority over the car, building confidence and making you think it launches better? ;)

p fandango
Monday 2nd June 2014, 15:45
There is a special button push sequence that turns off the full system on P2R's

M-R-P
Monday 2nd June 2014, 15:46
5 presses, 1 second duration, 1 second apart :D

ExternalError
Monday 2nd June 2014, 16:15
Does it launch better?

Or is it because you get that feeling of authority over the car, building confidence and making you think it launches better? ;)

Could be

its just

with it turned on I get a dip in throttle when launching the minute the wheels spin then it just gives up and they spin get grip and launch
with it turned off the wheels spin get grip and launch
Once ive got the wishbones done I'll be looking at getting it on the 1/4 mile and see if it actually makes much different in my times

But at the moment i have a little wheel wiggle when launching which is either from a nackered drive shaft or knackered bushes and by the look of the front wishbone bushes thats where im fixing 1st.

Once they are done its onto the drive shafts with a veiw to change the clutch to an AP racing clutch and fit a single mass flywheel in december, I have the cash now to order a downpipe from GWE but holding onto it until my road tax is up at the end of July just to make sure I have that bill cleared only thing i want to do then is a klracing intercooler which I'm sure i can shoe horn into the budget somewhere.