PDA

View Full Version : Rear main crank seal leak - 1994my 850 T5

Theador
Saturday 31st May 2014, 11:04
I've got an oil leak coming from the rear main crank seal. Now question is, what's the best/easiest way to replace the gasket? The sump will be coming off for a clean and replacing the o-rings, my mechanic says that with some cars, you can get lucky and push the clutch housing back enough to do the job, because otherwise it sounds like removing suspension etc. To get to it.

Had anyone got any advice/how-to's on this job?

the car is a 1994my 850 T5

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 31st May 2014, 11:09
You'll need to remove the gearbox, don't think there's enough room to get a big enough gap to remove the clutch and flywheel to get to the seal.

You don't have to remove the suspension as such, just undo the steering knuckle to allow the engine subframe to drop enough to get the gearbox out.
There is a guide to a clutch change without removing the engine in the 850 Haynes manual.

Theador
Saturday 31st May 2014, 11:35
You'll need to remove the gearbox, don't think there's enough room to get a big enough gap to remove the clutch and flywheel to get to the seal.

You don't have to remove the suspension as such, just undo the steering knuckle to allow the engine subframe to drop enough to get the gearbox out.
There is a guide to a clutch change without removing the engine in the 850 Haynes manual.

Thanks mate, yeah I thought that might be the case.

Cheers.