PDA

View Full Version : Heat.

ROZER
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:19
Since i put a ferrita 3"" downpipe on my s60 under bonnet temps are up due to the heatshield not working with the ferrita so it had to stay off. I think the temps are up that much by the turbo thats its melting wires around brake servo, also the intake temps must be up too was thinking of wrapping the downpipe and getting a heatsheild made up. I use an open cone filter so all this heat cant be good was wondering if anyone has come across this with the larger downpipes we fit to the t5.

T5RatherAmusin
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:25
do you not have the shield still in place then??

stribo
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:27
I'd have thought the heatshield could be bent to clear the downpipe.

graemewelch
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:28
The stainless pipe will hold heat longer than the standard carbon one. If in doubt id just wrap it and try to get the heat shield back on. I havnt had any issues with my wires melting and my down pipe has been on 3 years with no heat shield

ROZER
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:35
no its not there it doesn't fit when you go bigger.

ROZER
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:38
The stainless pipe will hold heat longer than the standard carbon one. If in doubt id just wrap it and try to get the heat shield back on. I havnt had any issues with my wires melting and my down pipe has been on 3 years with no heat shield

has your heat shield been off for 3 years too , mines been off for about the same but its melted through the plastic covering on the servo wires and the heat alone under the bonnet is stupid I think I could make a mixed grill off it .

T5RatherAmusin
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:41
i have mine on with the 3" dp....

M-R-P
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:42
What about taking the rubber seal off the scuttle panel? Vent the heat out through the gap it'll create between the bonnet and panel.

ROZER
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:43
there's lots off heat coming from the exhaust manifold too as the heat shield did cover that too I wonder if there's a talented person on here that could make one up :bounce:

graemewelch
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:43
has your heat shield been off for 3 years too , mines been off for about the same but its melted through the plastic covering on the servo wires and the heat alone under the bonnet is stupid I think I could make a mixed grill off it .

Yip been off 3 yrs. Its hanging up in the garage ready to go back on one day

ROZER
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:45
What about taking the rubber seal off the scuttle panel? Vent the heat out through the gap it'll create between the bonnet and panel.

done that dude years ago ;)

ROZER
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:46
i have mine on with the 3" dp....

strange is yours a ferrita if not it might be different not sure.

T5RatherAmusin
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:48
mines an obx dp.
but there should still be no reason the std shield wont fit...

ROZER
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 18:59
mines an obx dp.
but there should still be no reason the std shield wont fit...

there must be dude its not on my car I binned it 3 years ago when I could not get it to fit back on. might try ebay for a new one and see if it can be modified to fit .

graemewelch
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 22:42
there must be dude its not on my car I binned it 3 years ago when I could not get it to fit back on. might try ebay for a new one and see if it can be modified to fit .

Ive got a spare one. Currently breaking a s60r. Let me know if its any use to you

ROZER
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 22:45
ye dude but would it be the same for me a have the 2.3 t5 with 16t not kk24 turbo.

graemewelch
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 22:54
Shouldnt matter. It fits on the manifold. Id send you some pics of the one i have hanging up in garage but you prob cant remember what it looks like

ROZER
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 23:08
cheers mate .

ROZER
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 23:09
I will need the bolts if you have them they have a spring with them if I remember right.

graemewelch
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 23:27
yeah thats them. ill be pulling the engine out at weekend i think, you want me to give you a shout when its out

ROZER
Tuesday 27th May 2014, 23:31
yes plz mate.

LeeT5
Friday 30th May 2014, 16:21
There's three bolts in total. Two have springs and one doesn't. One of the springs is shorter too. Two bolt into the top of the head and the third bolts onto the second heat shield. There's a second heat shield under the to one.

ROZER
Friday 30th May 2014, 16:36
yes that's right but if you have the r with the kk24 and the manifold is different to mine .I have the japfold manifold with the 16t so I think the holes will all be in the wrong place.

ROZER
Friday 30th May 2014, 16:37
will have to find the part number to see it .

LeeT5
Friday 30th May 2014, 19:04
yes that's right but if you have the r with the kk24 and the manifold is different to mine .I have the japfold manifold with the 16t so I think the holes will all be in the wrong place.

Must be able to fabricate, its only pressed stainless steel!

graemewelch
Friday 30th May 2014, 22:34
Ive had a clean up in the garage and i have both