PDA

View Full Version : Need more oomph

ceafroman
Saturday 24th May 2014, 11:28
Hi all,

I know this probably has been asked a thousand times before but I thought ask again:uglyhamme

My volvo is a 1.6D r-Design, pushing out a meer 109bhp. I want to get more out of her, but without breaking the bank. So far I've looked at; induction kits, exhausts, re-map/chipping, intercooler. I want to try and maintain the economy that the little car provides, but would love the satisfaction of decent acceleration and a great noise.

What do you guys reckon? Is there anywhere local to Southampton?

jamesy12345
Saturday 24th May 2014, 11:40
D5 engine?

Nitrous?

ceafroman
Saturday 24th May 2014, 11:46
D5 engine?

Nitrous?

Haven't thought about an engine transplant :eclipsee_ but have considered swapping the gearbox from 5 to 6 speed.

Nitrous?? Hmm, does nitrous and diesel mix??:dunce:

ceafroman
Saturday 24th May 2014, 11:50
The D5 is probably the look I'm going for, mate that with the Polestar C30 and I think I'm on to a winner :smlove2:

M-R-P
Saturday 24th May 2014, 11:52
Go for a remap and catback exhaust (whatever you do about the cat is up to you :) ) that'll give you a swift kick up the arse and a good deep sound to boot.

M-R-P
Saturday 24th May 2014, 11:53
And machine gun turrets...

They're cool...

V70 Graham
Saturday 24th May 2014, 11:59
+1 for the remap.

ceafroman
Saturday 24th May 2014, 11:59
Go for a remap and catback exhaust (whatever you do about the cat is up to you :) ) that'll give you a swift kick up the arse and a good deep sound to boot.

Definitely thought about remap and the exhaust :B_thumb:

Whose remaps are value for money?

And for the exhaust?? Stay single exit, go for the D5 twin look or go Quad exit?? Whose exhausts are good?

There's loads out there :yikes:, just don't want to go ahead and fit something and then find I should've gone for another brand etc.

jamesy12345
Saturday 24th May 2014, 12:01
Haven't thought about an engine transplant :eclipsee_ but have considered swapping the gearbox from 5 to 6 speed.

Nitrous?? Hmm, does nitrous and diesel mix??:dunce:

It mixes very well according to the chaps below (who sell nitrous kits so maybe a little biased....)

http://www.noswizard.com/sb-150-diesel-car-nitrous-kit.html

About the engine swap I guess it depends what you want. To get a big power increase from that 1.6 you could spend more than the cost of a D5 transplant

Looking at the net a cat back and a remap would get you near 300 Nm, which is not bad. No idea which ones are good maps though or how reliable the car is after

M-R-P
Saturday 24th May 2014, 12:04
I had a powerflow twin exit system on my T5... Hated it lol. It then got transferred to my mate's D5 and it sounded bloody superb.

ceafroman
Saturday 24th May 2014, 12:09
I had a powerflow twin exit system on my T5... Hated it lol. It then got transferred to my mate's D5 and it sounded bloody superb.

I've had a couple of Powerflow exhausts in the past, one on a Suzuki Fatboy (petrol) single exit, and the other on a Nissan Navara (diesel) dual exit. Gotta admit the Navara did sound good.

V70 Graham
Saturday 24th May 2014, 12:09
I know nothing about exhausts lol

ceafroman
Saturday 24th May 2014, 12:13
I know nothing about exhausts lol

Lol, same here. All I know is air goes in and the gases come out. The better the air flow and the better the gases can escape the better the car goes.:eclipsee_

Last time I did remotely anything like this I was rebuilding my 1969 VW beetle.

ceafroman
Saturday 24th May 2014, 14:51
Anybody dealt with 'Fastlane Styling' before? They've got stuff all over eBay, cheap aswell :wow:

M-R-P
Saturday 24th May 2014, 15:00
Had a few bits - vinyl wrap, eyebrows (I think) and some other stuff. Depends what you're looking for really but it's cheap for a reason.

ceafroman
Saturday 24th May 2014, 15:07
Been looking at K&N Typhoon kits for the volvo but came across Carbon Charger Intake Systems (CCI) as well.

Anybody give pros and cons for both, if any?

T5frankie
Saturday 24th May 2014, 15:27
stick a tuning box on or remap it, not much more you can do mate, but you did buy a 1.6 diesel after all, you'll be very happy with both of my suggestions

ceafroman
Saturday 24th May 2014, 15:30
stick a tuning box on or remap it, not much more you can do mate, but you did buy a 1.6 diesel after all, you'll be very happy with both of my suggestions

Cheers buddy, gonna go down that route I think.

Hopefully one last question (on what to do anyway), is it best to get the exhaust and filter etc before the re-map or does it not make any difference?

T5frankie
Saturday 24th May 2014, 15:33
Cheers buddy, gonna go down that route I think.

Hopefully one last question (on what to do anyway), is it best to get the exhaust and filter etc before the re-map or does it not make any difference?

wont make a blind bit of difference mate as they are all generic maps, but it wont harm your performance and it will sound alot better

ceafroman
Saturday 24th May 2014, 15:39
Cheers T5frankie

Time to put together a shopping list ;)

ceafroman
Saturday 24th May 2014, 15:52
Anybody recommend any re-maps?

nottsgreent5
Sunday 25th May 2014, 12:25
If its the same hdi lump thats in the fords pugs and citreons do your homework on it because there prone to going bang in standard form never mind modified lost count of the amount of turbos ive had to do on these engines

jamesy12345
Sunday 25th May 2014, 13:19
If its the same hdi lump thats in the fords pugs and citreons do your homework on it because there prone to going bang in standard form never mind modified lost count of the amount of turbos ive had to do on these engines

Some info below about these, doesn't look all bad with good servicing...

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=116907

edit

more here:

http://download.ms-motor-service.com/ximages/fl-ti_nr24_turbolader_psa_en_web.pdf

nottsgreent5
Sunday 25th May 2014, 13:37
Thats the key to these engines the turbo manufacturers recommend oil changes every 3-4000 miles to prolong the life of the turbo and engines

ceafroman
Monday 26th May 2014, 10:06
Cheers guys

Wobbly Dave
Monday 26th May 2014, 10:53
1.6D was built for pretty much one thing - economy & there is a ceiling with remap alone.

I own a 136bhp 2.0D R-Design and after remapping it went up to 163bhp and 50NM more torque. It's very punchy up to 70 which is all it ever needs to be.
On average 30 bhp & 50NM increase is typically what you will see from a remapped diesel. So 140bhp out of the 1.6 is pretty good, but it is only 4bhp more that the 2 litres starting point. So long as you can live with that then fine.

For real grunt the best option would be to sell the car & get a D5 (assuming you want to stay with diesel?). If you can't afford it or the insurance then best wait until you can. Diesels don't rev high enough for induction or exhausts to become a restriction apart from the DPF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter) which can be deleted to improve the power. There ain't no replacement for displacement. I just don't want you to waste a whole bunch of money remapping a 1.6, only for 6 months later wondering about going higher. Start from a position of strength.

glynroberts
Thursday 29th May 2014, 21:45
100% right in every sense!
1.6D was built for pretty much one thing - economy & there is a ceiling with remap alone.

I own a 136bhp 2.0D R-Design and after remapping it went up to 163bhp and 50NM more torque. It's very punchy up to 70 which is all it ever needs to be.
On average 30 bhp & 50NM increase is typically what you will see from a remapped diesel. So 140bhp out of the 1.6 is pretty good, but it is only 4bhp more that the 2 litres starting point. So long as you can live with that then fine.

For real grunt the best option would be to sell the car & get a D5 (assuming you want to stay with diesel?). If you can't afford it or the insurance then best wait until you can. Diesels don't rev high enough for induction or exhausts to become a restriction apart from the DPF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter) which can be deleted to improve the power. There ain't no replacement for displacement. I just don't want you to waste a whole bunch of money remapping a 1.6, only for 6 months later wondering about going higher. Start from a position of strength.