PDA

View Full Version : C70 problems :( plz help if u can

Craigmc1981
Thursday 22nd May 2014, 05:02
Hi everyone I've not long owned my 2002 2.0 and I love it, but... There's always a but, when I was driving the other day the throttle just stopped working, turned off car and started her up again and no problems, couple of miles down the road it but it again, but this time the engine management light came on, so plugged her into my father inlaws machine and it came up with a fault on the throttle position sensor A, so off with the throttle position sensor and was a small brake on the board so soldered her up, then replugged into the obd2 and cleared error code, next day car took forever to start and when it did no rev courter, and the throttle cut out again so plugged in the to odb2 and no power to the socket so found out the crank sensor had packed up so replaced it and all was well. Until it started to misfire and was hunting on tick over, and then the throttle cut out again, tried to turn on cruise control and nothing so had little brake on the hard shoulder of the m25 and it started again and got me to work but I have no idea what is wrong with the car and it's starting to really get to me as I love the car but can't solve the problem, any help would be greatful. Thanks

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 22nd May 2014, 10:17
First off :welcome:

2002 = ME7 drive by wire, like my C70 - but probably where most similarities end - LOL

Hunting in the idle could indicate issues with the ETM or the throttle pedal potentiometer or MAF sensor. I'd start with the MAF.
If you unplug the MAF sensor the idle map will go to a default setting on start up. See if it idles any better with the MAF unplugged.

I'd also whip out the plugs see if there is one that looks odd. Could indicate a dodgy coil pack though generally the coil packs either work or don't.

Your Dad's ODBII reader may not pick up all the codes - so it may be worth going to your local dealer/ Volvo indie to see. Whereabouts are you based?

Craigmc1981
Thursday 22nd May 2014, 16:06
I'll try that thanks Dave, I'm based in Bedfordshire, the father inlaws machine is a snap-on with all the chips, not sure the model but it's about 10 years old

M-R-P
Thursday 22nd May 2014, 16:48
Non - volvo specific readers can give misleading codes...

Was one of the codes "throttle pedal position sensor" ? if so, you have a dirty/failing MAF or an air leak in the inlet between the MAF and the turbo. This will also give you rough idle.

c70geoff
Thursday 22nd May 2014, 18:12
I had these issues and like Dave said maf or etm
Mine happened to be both so changed the maf and cleaned the etm
And Martin is right non Volvo readers can mislead on codes

Craigmc1981
Thursday 22nd May 2014, 19:25
Ok thanks for ya help, yes one of the codes was the throttle pedal position sensor

M-R-P
Thursday 22nd May 2014, 19:34
Clean the maf mate, or replace it and weather or not the throttle is playing up, cleaning the butterfly and surrounding surfaces will make a difference to the way the car runs.

Craigmc1981
Thursday 22nd May 2014, 19:45
Thanks everyone, I'll try this and get back to ya :)