PDA

View Full Version : Brakes 280mm to 302mm

gazjacko
Thursday 10th November 2005, 16:08
Have just changed the front Discs from 280mm to 302mm Grooved Black Diamond Discs and Braided Hoses. I got the bits from
partsforvolvosonline.com
and now they've bedded in I can only describe the stopping as progressive, still full of feel, and ultimately, when push comes to shove, AWSOME!
The only downside is that unless it's strapped down, anything loose in the back joins you in the front!

BigJC
Thursday 10th November 2005, 21:30
Sounds good, are they a direct replacement that fit under 16" wheels? Which pads did you get?

Al115
Thursday 10th November 2005, 22:49
They'll fit under SOME 16"s. The stock 850 T5 16"s don't work, but the '70-series T5 16" rims fit.

BlackBeast
Thursday 10th November 2005, 22:57
Ive asked this question before with regards to the 302mm upgrade, how come we can get away without changing the caliper brackets? Surely there wouldnt be any need for the other brackets if we didnt need them?

Al115
Thursday 10th November 2005, 23:04
Erm... you can't, can you? :confused:

BlackBeast
Thursday 10th November 2005, 23:15
Erm... you can't, can you? :confused:

Well whenever people say they've just swapped for a 302mm disc i never see them mentioning the change of bracket, its just the discs? Im confused! If they are just changing the disc then wouldnt one side of the pad touch the disc first?

Al115
Thursday 10th November 2005, 23:21
I've not done it (mine came with 302s) but to my knowledge you do need caliper carriers / caliper brackets to space them out.

fireclown
Friday 11th November 2005, 00:09
hi i am interested in this conversion. can some body gives us a bit of technical advice on caliper mounting. cheers.

GoFasterMaster
Friday 11th November 2005, 11:49
Hello, just to clarify you do need the caliper carriers when going from 280 to 302mm discs. They relocate the caliper further out to enable the larger diameter discs to be fitted.
Also if you use the genuine carriers there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to fit them with any volvo 16"+ wheels.

Martinr
Friday 11th November 2005, 12:07
Also if you use the genuine carriers there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to fit them with any volvo 16"+ wheels.

Will not fit with the Columba alloys as there is insufficient clearance on the inside of the wheel. The inside of the Columba rim tapers towards the centre whilst the Perfo, (which will clear 302's) has a flatter inside profile.

Straker
Friday 11th November 2005, 13:16
Will not fit with the Columba alloys as there is insufficient clearance on the inside of the wheel. The inside of the Columba rim tapers towards the centre whilst the Perfo, (which will clear 302's) has a flatter inside profile.

Bugger anyone want some Columba alloys for ANY (Steel included) wheels that fit over the 302's

Seriously I am going to do this conversion so if anyone want to make me a sensible offer for my Colombar's (3 decent Avon tyre thrown in) then send me a PM.

Cheers

gazjacko
Friday 11th November 2005, 23:15
Sorry but I forgot to mention the caliper brackets. Yes they came with the rest of the bits from partsforvolvosonline.
The caliper brackets are available exchange from Volvo so you could source the bits yourself. GSF list 302mm discs and Pagid 'Fast road' pads, but I thought the bits I got were well worth the £335ish they cost me as it included 'Black Diamond' Pads as well.
As for the clearance issue, Obviously not a problem with me as I run 17" wheels but I know the Police spec'd the 302mm discs as there were issues with the 280mm brakes on the first T5s they got. so they all went back to Volvo to get upgraded and returned with the newer style wheels. I thought these were to improve the airflow over the Brakes but it could be a clearance problem that caused the wheels to be slightly re-designed.