PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler woes....

LeeT5
Thursday 15th May 2014, 18:17
Whilst in the process of replacing my PCV system over the last couple of days, I noticed, my Intercooler (big one) is cracked right on the hose join next to the BPS. the crack is about 2-3" long and opens up when I flex the hose coupling. Gutted!! (It does explain my boost issues thou...)

Anyway, before I continue with PCV install and refill the cooling system, I would like to discuss my options.

There are many companies providing FMIC for P2R models inc, IPD (not FMIC - use OE fitment), Phuzzy motorsport, GSX-FMIC (races60r.com) and I believe Bell make one?

Any others I've missed and has anyone got any experience with FMICs for V70R P2 and any advice they care to divulge? I'm all ears

So far, this is my cheapest and best option:

http://phuzzymotorsports.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=2

I could just fit an oe one but they cost £280. Which is cheaper I know, but after reading up about stock Intercooler efficiency (or lack of) i think I'd be better off with a FMIC for better mpg, no heat soak, increased bhp, better throttle response.

smithy
Thursday 15th May 2014, 18:41
Have you a stock intercooler at mo

volvokid
Thursday 15th May 2014, 18:48
As ashok or Tim Williams mate apparently there are lots out there but he said he has seen a few that are crap and don't fit proper.

LeeT5
Thursday 15th May 2014, 18:59

Yes.

stribo
Thursday 15th May 2014, 19:03
Icooney is uprating his, he may be the man to speak to.

p fandango
Thursday 15th May 2014, 19:21
As ashok or Tim Williams mate apparently there are lots out there but he said he has seen a few that are crap and don't fit proper.
thats surprising, how often do you hear people praising competitors parts lol

deathrider311271
Thursday 15th May 2014, 19:21
as all ready said talk to Tim Williams

jamesy12345
Thursday 15th May 2014, 19:26
KL racing, SNABB, IPD

As above Tim Williams says he does one, at least he did for the S60Rs maybe the same?

edit

forgot to say, TWs uses original mounting points & hoses

volvokid
Thursday 15th May 2014, 19:51
thats surprising, how often do you hear people praising competitors parts lol

Ashok doesn't seem to be a biased type of guy, I've met him and have a lot of time for him.

stribo
Thursday 15th May 2014, 19:54
KL racing, SNABB, IPD

As above Tim Williams says he does one, at least he did for the S60Rs maybe the same?

edit

forgot to say, TWs uses original mounting points & hoses

Interesting, and yeah the P2Rs all use the same intercooler setup.

p fandango
Thursday 15th May 2014, 19:55
Ashok doesn't seem to be a biased type of guy, I've met him and have a lot of time for him.
no comment lol

sizzlechest
Thursday 15th May 2014, 20:43
This looks like the one of the cheaper options:

http://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/volvo-s60r-vissa-specialmodeller-45mm.html

graemewelch
Thursday 15th May 2014, 22:05
Whilst in the process of replacing my PCV system over the last couple of days, I noticed, my Intercooler (big one) is cracked right on the hose join next to the BPS. the crack is about 2-3" long and opens up when I flex the hose coupling. Gutted!! (It does explain my boost issues thou...)

Anyway, before I continue with PCV install and refill the cooling system, I would like to discuss my options.

There are many companies providing FMIC for P2R models inc, IPD (not FMIC - use OE fitment), Phuzzy motorsport, GSX-FMIC (races60r.com) and I believe Bell make one?

Any others I've missed and has anyone got any experience with FMICs for V70R P2 and any advice they care to divulge? I'm all ears

So far, this is my cheapest and best option:

http://phuzzymotorsports.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=2

I could just fit an oe one but they cost £280. Which is cheaper I know, but after reading up about stock Intercooler efficiency (or lack of) i think I'd be better off with a FMIC for better mpg, no heat soak, increased bhp, better throttle response.

theres no way id fit that to my car. personly my first choice would be the tim willams intercooler. but me being me id build my own

LeeT5
Friday 16th May 2014, 04:40

Yes.

LeeT5
Friday 16th May 2014, 04:40
theres no way id fit that to my car. personly my first choice would be the tim willams intercooler. but me being me id build my own

So what FMIC have you got installed?

graemewelch
Friday 16th May 2014, 13:50
So what FMIC have you got installed?

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/11803-s60-t5-fmic/page__pid__134655__st__0&#entry134655

this is the fmic on mine. it was already fitted to the car when i bought it. when i had it remaped by hamish he said the charge air temps were low and that the fmic was doing its job very well

T5RatherAmusin
Friday 16th May 2014, 16:46
theres plenty of choice out there. i belive the tw one is around 800 bob. ha!
the klracing one is decent. i know a couple of lads with them. john has even put up some good data login regarding that...
the likes of snabb n do88 do a tasty full kit
http://www.snabb.us/Ultimate-BIG-Volvo-Intercooler-Kit-S60-V70_p_146.html
ive used a combination od do88 gear and a fat tube n fin ic

LeeT5
Friday 16th May 2014, 18:49
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Decided to go TW FMIC. Yes it's expensive but it retain a stock look, use all the oe fittings and mounting points and I won't need to fabricate any part of the car, especially the front bumper.
Going with stock cooler is not an option. I do not want to have to go through all this again! I think my intercooler has been leaking for some time and the amount of hours I have wasted trying to fix other related issues is not even worth talking about.
It's only because I'm replacing the PCV that I found the fault and it also saved me £60 in fuel driving back down to MRG for a smoke test, that's gotta be an hours labour too.

Anyway, I will do a thread with lots of pictures of my PCV change and FMIC install and keep ya'll posted.

deathrider311271
Friday 16th May 2014, 18:58
Lee you have made a very wise choice, you wont be disapointed

T5RatherAmusin
Friday 16th May 2014, 18:58
the KL one is very similar tbh- drop in.
would of saved you a fair woddle and will be no worse if better...

stribo
Friday 16th May 2014, 19:19
If you don't mind me asking Lee, how much is the TW intercooler?

Harvey
Friday 16th May 2014, 19:45
I think I just found the next thing to get, just wondered if it could be anodised blue as well....

Had a read of the development of its thread sounds spot-on to me.

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/12199-volvo-s60r-v70r-t5-fmic/

LeeT5
Saturday 17th May 2014, 01:10
If you don't mind me asking Lee, how much is the TW intercooler?

Advertised at £850 on t5d5 mate.

I think I just found the next thing to get, just wondered if it could be anodised blue as well....

Had a read of the development of its thread sounds spot-on to me.

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/12199-volvo-s60r-v70r-t5-fmic/

That's the thread that convinced me to get a TW FMIC.
I also like the fact that a true FMIC protects the a/c condenser where some aftermarket FMIC that fit in the stock location don't.

jamesy12345
Saturday 17th May 2014, 04:41
Looks good to me! Just need a car to go round it now...

Harvey
Friday 13th June 2014, 22:17
Any updates yet ?.

LeeT5
Friday 13th June 2014, 23:17
Any updates yet ?.

All I know is the core was delivered to the fabricator in Hereford (I think) and it was supposed to be ready on Wednesday just gone. Not heard anything yet.

Car is on axle stands and bumper will be removed next week.

I did manage to overhaul the front brakes thou. They are now bagged to prevent moisture ingress and corrosion.

Harvey
Friday 13th June 2014, 23:41
All I know is the core was delivered to the fabricator in Hereford (I think) and it was supposed to be ready on Wednesday just gone. Not heard anything yet.

Car is on axle stands and bumper will be removed next week.

I did manage to overhaul the front brakes thou. They are now bagged to prevent moisture ingress and corrosion.

Will look forward to seeing it fitted ,please don't forget some photos when it's gets fitted.

LeeT5
Saturday 14th June 2014, 09:38
I won't. :B_thumb:

LeeT5
Monday 11th August 2014, 11:27
All fixed! :)

M-R-P
Monday 11th August 2014, 11:29
Pics?

:)

LeeT5
Monday 11th August 2014, 12:40
Pics?

:)

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?51462-Busy-busy-busy!!!

on going mate. About 100 photos to post.....so bere with me. :)