PDA

View Full Version : Oil consumption

Straker
Thursday 10th November 2005, 12:32
General question

How much oil does your T5 drink. Mine seems to be getting through a rather alarming 0.5 liter every 5000 or so miles (approximately).

I need to know is this normal....

If not then how much is it to service/replace the turbo.

All info greatfully recieved :B_blite:

Al115
Thursday 10th November 2005, 12:49
Hold on, half a litre every 5k? That's absolutely fine. Up to a litre every thousand and you can not be worrying... at least, I'm not :)

Straker
Thursday 10th November 2005, 12:51
Phew I thought I was in trouble for a minute then :troutslap

Al115
Thursday 10th November 2005, 14:00
I think that mine actually runs on oil and the petrol is used for cylinder cooling (or something)...

BlackBeast
Thursday 10th November 2005, 14:07
Hold on, half a litre every 5k? That's absolutely fine. Up to a litre every thousand and you can not be worrying... at least, I'm not :)

This is why you have to check your oil levels regularly, you could soon find yourself running very low on oil especially if your engine eats a litre every 1k, and as Al has already said, thats nothing to worry about.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 10th November 2005, 17:20
Cozzys can sup a 1litre every 600 mile, yum, slurp, fart!

nuffer
Friday 11th November 2005, 00:04
if you think about it its not possble for a engine not to burn a small amount of oil during the course of 5k miles .5 lt in that time is perfectly normal imho

Straker
Friday 11th November 2005, 08:53
I realise all cars burn a small amount of oil but this is the first time I have actually owned a turbo car so just wanted a quick sanity check.

My last car was a brand new 1.4 Fiesta and despite thrashing it to within an inch of it's life daily I never once had to top up the oil after 12K miles.

What can I say I have high standards :B_steerin

nuffer
Friday 11th November 2005, 10:13
obviously( i would have thought ) a brand new engine should use less than a ten year old car such as your 850, as some wear will have occured in the valve guide /seals oil control rings etc so to compare a old 850 with a brand new car is rather pointless

Straker
Friday 11th November 2005, 10:27
Hence my sanity check as I have no frame of referance. A brand new small capacity NA engine is quit different from a 10 year old 2.3 turbo lump.

My question has been answered and my fears put to rest, just have to invest in more oil occasionally.

lance
Friday 11th November 2005, 12:05
Ive found durring normal running week to week I dont use any oil, but a 100+mph drive for a tankfull of fuel can result in a drop being used.
My old 850 T5 used 1/4 l of Helex over a 1700 mile trip.
I estimate in my 70 It uses about a litre between 5k oil changes. (151k)
If I have a day where I really thrash it and I mean thrash it I supose I will use a small amount of oil.
If I take my time for a month or 2 and dont take above 4500 rpm very often she seems to use no oil at all.