PDA

View Full Version : s60r awd not working

terry_s60r
Monday 12th May 2014, 12:45
just noticed that only my front are working as just constinly spins them and no rear action what could this be

graemewelch
Monday 12th May 2014, 12:47
Shreaded angle gear. You need a new colar or new rear diff

jamesy12345
Monday 12th May 2014, 12:49
just noticed that only my front are working as just constinly spins them and no rear action what could this be

What year is your S60 pls?

terry_s60r
Monday 12th May 2014, 12:56
03 and i do get a minor thud when pulling away but sounds like a bush but not sure

are the collors easy to get?

T5RatherAmusin
Monday 12th May 2014, 12:59
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?37795-Angle-gear-collar-replacement-2004-S60R

terry_s60r
Monday 12th May 2014, 13:03
so 122 from volvo doesnt sound to bad that just labour i spose

jamesy12345
Monday 12th May 2014, 13:11
The later S60Rs are supposed to have uprated angle gear (2006/7??), if that is the problem on yours the kit above is supposed to be the uprated version

terry_s60r
Monday 12th May 2014, 13:19
cool ill have to get that dont then cuase soon as boost comes in it just lights up haha

T5RatherAmusin
Monday 12th May 2014, 13:20
so 122 from volvo doesnt sound to bad that just labour i spose

122 gets you the kit the labour could be rediculous lol

terry_s60r
Monday 12th May 2014, 13:29
just spoke to the last owner and he said its because the abs fualt as come up with message saying anti skid service requierd as got two cracked abs rings and front left sensor dead would this cause it

M-R-P
Monday 12th May 2014, 13:49
just spoke to the last owner and he said its because the abs fualt as come up with message saying anti skid service requierd as got two cracked abs rings and front left sensor dead would this cause it

No.

The early R models had a chocolate transfer system which has been updated to a more reliable unit (pictured above)

terry_s60r
Monday 12th May 2014, 13:59
he said it does work but when the abs comes up cause of sensor it stops i dont think he would lie as i havent got any come back as private deal

jamesy12345
Monday 12th May 2014, 14:11
he said it does work but when the abs comes up cause of sensor it stops i dont think he would lie as i havent got any come back as private deal

Maybe get the codes read, sort the ABS then see how it is. I saw this one advertised on Swaps website

You could always switch off the DSTC then test it on a slippery surface to confirm like this fella.....not sure it does your car any good tho

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?55788-Donut-driving-a-S60R&highlight=s60r+donut

jamesy12345
Monday 12th May 2014, 14:19
Maybe get the codes read, sort the ABS then see how it is. I saw this one advertised on Swaps website

You could always switch off the DSTC then test it on a slippery surface to confirm like this fella.....not sure it does your car any good tho

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?55788-Donut-driving-a-S60R&highlight=s60r+donut

More thoughts on that:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?109859-AWD-Engaging-When-DSTC-OFF!

Jimmie
Monday 12th May 2014, 14:33
Labour wont be much at Volvo to do the whole job!!

stribo
Monday 12th May 2014, 15:22
No.

The early R models had a chocolate transfer system which has been updated to a more reliable unit (pictured above)

The transfer box isn't thay bad, it's lack of maintenance that causes them to fail, and not keeping them topped up with oil. If you ran your gearbox without oil it wouldn't last long, does that make it a chocolate gearbox?

To answer the OPs question, even with an ABS fault the AWD system will still work, even if the DTSC disabled, the AWD still remains active.

graemewelch
Monday 12th May 2014, 15:32
I would of said swish cheese not chocolate or would cream cheese be better. The pre facelift has a weaker colar than the facelift colar. But no low oil isnt going to help

stribo
Monday 12th May 2014, 15:38
I would of said swish cheese not chocolate or would cream cheese be better. The pre facelift has a weaker colar than the facelift colar. But no low oil isnt going to help

Ours gets a hammering on the drag strip, and still works perfectly, talking to someone yesterday at Swedish Day, and he mentioned how all the scaremongering about P2Rs does seem to come from people that have never owned one, let alone run them on a day to day basis, he makes a very good point.

graemewelch
Monday 12th May 2014, 15:41
I own one. Its not scaremongering. Its just my personal choice and taste. But lets not go down this route again. I made my comment and thats the end of it.

stribo
Monday 12th May 2014, 15:53
I own one. Its not scaremongering. Its just my personal choice and taste. But lets not go down this route again. I made my comment and thats the end of it.

You're breaking one, that's entirley different.

terry_s60r
Monday 12th May 2014, 16:05
So what should it do if I turn it off? I only noticed today and yea it's the car off swaps . I gettin the front abs rings and sensor done asap then will see what it does do you have to turn the dstc off to be awd as was on normal and not sport mode

stribo
Monday 12th May 2014, 16:11
No, it's AWD all the time, sends 5% of power to the rear wheels during normal use, and up to 50% if needed. The other thing that could be at fault is the AOC unit, which is located on the back axle, and locks the propshaft to the diff when it needs more power going through the rear wheels.

terry_s60r
Monday 12th May 2014, 16:17
When I had it read there was a communication fault found we cleared them but haven't 're read to see what's come back yet

Harvey
Monday 12th May 2014, 17:17
No, it's AWD all the time, sends 5% of power to the rear wheels during normal use, and up to 50% if needed. The other thing that could be at fault is the AOC unit, which is located on the back axle, and locks the propshaft to the diff when it needs more power going through the rear wheels.

So how does it know to send power to the back wheels if it doesn't know if the fronts are spinning,eg wheel speed/ABS sensor not working ?.
When you say 5% power all the time to the rears,that wouldn't it stop the front wheels spinning the clutch in the rear haldex clutch slips.

Santa
Monday 12th May 2014, 17:59
Just to clarify something, it could possibily be related to the ABS fault. Does your dials work and does the suspension change firmness as you press the comfort/sport/advanced buttons?

stribo
Monday 12th May 2014, 18:02
So how does it know to send power to the back wheels if it doesn't know if the fronts are spinning,eg wheel speed/ABS sensor not working ?.
When you say 5% power all the time to the rears,that wouldn't it stop the front wheels spinning the clutch in the rear haldex clutch slips.

Good question lol.

Harvey
Monday 12th May 2014, 18:06
Have you tried the trick with the read button & rear fog light switch to see if any faults are logged.

Found a better link info page.

Diagnostic Information for S60, V70 and S80
By Philippe Bruno, B.Eng. and Shawn Deonarine
To show diagnostic information in the text window:
-Turn key to position II or start the engine.
-Press and hold down [READ] on the turn signal lever, and press the rear fog light button 3 times quickly.
-Press [READ] to advance to the next item.
Text Window
Description
CHECKING DTCS
Checking the Diagnostics Trouble Codes.
DTCS IN VEHICLE
Diagnostics Trouble Codes present in vehicle.
DTCS IN VEHICLE BCM DTC SET
Brake Control Module.
DTCS IN VEHICLE SAS CHECKING
Steering Wheel Angle Sensor.
DTCS IN VEHICLE SRS CHECKING
Safety Restraint System
DTCS IN VEHICLE ECM DTC SET
Engine Control Module
DTCS IN VEHICLE AUM READY
Audio Module
DTCS IN VEHICLE CEM DTC SET
Center Control Module
DTCS IN VEHICLE DIM READY
Driver Information Module
DTCS IN VEHICLE DDM DTC SET
Driver Door Module
DTCS IN VEHICLE CCM CHECKING
Climate Control Module
DTCS IN VEHICLE PDM DTC SET
Passenger Door Module
DTCS IN VEHICLE PSM CHECKING
Front Seat Module
DTCS IN VEHICLE REM CHECKING
Rear Electric Module
DTCS IN VEHICLE SWM READY
Steering Wheel Module
DTCS IN VEHICLE UEM READY
Upper Electronic Module

terry_s60r
Monday 12th May 2014, 18:55
no havent tried that my firend lugged it in with his proper bosch reader over 10k worth haha

MIKESC70T5
Monday 12th May 2014, 19:25
Ours gets a hammering on the drag strip, and still works perfectly, talking to someone yesterday at Swedish Day, and he mentioned how all the scaremongering about P2Rs does seem to come from people that have never owned one, let alone run them on a day to day basis, he makes a very good point.

This sums up the thread I started the other week about people only posting things when they have issues with these cars, and hence the bad publicity it attracts about there reliability.

Jimmie
Monday 12th May 2014, 19:43
This sums up the thread I started the other week about people only posting things when they have issues with these cars, and hence the bad publicity it attracts about there reliability.

You hit the nail (problem)on the head.
Nothing wrong with my motor and would buy another of the same.

I know who has a flash green one if he would sell it.lol

terry_s60r
Wednesday 28th May 2014, 10:09
Well the abs rings have been done and sensor so no more abs light all I have now is anti skid service required an? Chassis settings some times pop's up but think thata aconnection on shock awd felt like it's been working until last night I felt it shudder and then was back to fwd

There was a communication error on the rear what could cause this?

LeeT5
Friday 6th June 2014, 10:20
Terry, has this issue been rectified now since you had your Bevel gearbox replaced?