PDA

View Full Version : Buying a V70R help and advice needed please and thank you.

touring-t5
Saturday 10th May 2014, 09:29
Hi guys hope you all well? right i have a off road ready discovery that i have been offered a swap for a 97/98 V70R but its an auto so whats everyones views on autos as ive never had one and have never really liked the idea but its a lovely motor so considering giving it a go, i do alot of towing of my caravan so think the auto maybe a decent choice for this, anything else i need to watch for on these please let me know many thanks shaun

LiamT4
Saturday 10th May 2014, 10:57
the old 4spd autos are a reliable box, as long as its been looked after. This means that although volvo state "sealed for life", that is not good advice. Once past about 100k, its time to replace the gearbox fluid, and then every 3-4 years depending on your driving.

Also i recommend getting the additional automatic oil cooler fitted, as it was specifically designed for people who have an auto and use it to tow. The more stress the box is under, the hotter the fluid gets and when past a certain temperature it starts to degrade. Once the fluid has past a certain point, then the torque converter and gearbox itself, start to wear. The extra cooler helps keep the fluid at the correct temperature helping to protect the box.

If you know a good volvo garage they should be able to help, as the extra cooler is a genuine volvo part.

T5frankie
Saturday 10th May 2014, 10:59
volvo autos are very good, and are a nice drive

merc85
Saturday 10th May 2014, 12:17
I love my auto, Just depends on how they have been looked after

touring-t5
Saturday 10th May 2014, 15:51
cheers guys thing is i dont know the history only what he tells me what think its certainly worth a look, it has covered 206000 miles but if its looked after they go for ever lol

darzmat
Sunday 11th May 2014, 10:15
I bought my v70r in february. Its my first auto. I do miss the manual box for a b road blast. But cant fault the auto box at all.

RollingThunder
Sunday 11th May 2014, 17:39
Well, after having an 850R auto, which is pretty much identical to the early (97/98) V70R, I went and bought a V70R auto earlier this year (selling the 850R a while ago was a HUGE mistake!). I liked the V70R so much that I erm, well I went and bought another, so I now have 2x V70R autos :D One is my daily driver, and the other is a project, albeit the AWD version with low mileage.

Is the V70R a good buy? YOU BET! Get a good one and it'll be a hoot to drive when you're not towing, and a damn good tourer when you are. As mentioned ^^^ either fit the OEM gearbox cooler or flush the gearbox fluid out and use fully synthetic fluid such as AMSOIL which resists temperature degradation much better than bog std Dexron III. Cost wise, you're prob looking at the £200 mark either way. What ever you decide on, flush the gearbox fluid out and fill with fresh - your gearbox will change smoother and last longer.

EDIT - what Disco do you have? I sold my heavily modded Kinversand Td5 to buy the V70R, but I still have a 300Tdi one too... yes, its another project :(

touring-t5
Monday 12th May 2014, 20:27
cheers lads its a modded 300tdi disco i chucked it on swapz and was offered the V70R looks tidy so fingers crossed ill have it this weekend

RollingThunder
Wednesday 14th May 2014, 07:46
we need pics when you get it! ;)

touring-t5
Wednesday 21st May 2014, 19:07
gutted to say that the sale/swap fell through so for now im on the look out for another one lol cheers all