PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Turbo?

MarkGolf
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 20:21
My cars turbo blows smoke after sitting on idle for a few mins..

My dad really wants the car from me, so im thinking about purchasing a new turbo from ebay or somehting, then getting it put on..

How hard is it? How long e.t.c e.t.c?

The car is running better than ever even with the smokey Turbo (Seals is all that need changing, but works out cheaper buying a turbo on ebay) But yes, advice please!

Otherwise, want £2k for the car as it is

Al115
Thursday 10th November 2005, 11:08
I changed my turbo with the car on axle stands on my drive. First time I'd done it and it took me about half a day. Access is a pain because the turbo's at the back of the engine, and you'll scrape some knuckles, but basically it's not a hard job. Fit the proper (and expensive) studs from Volvo when you put the new one on, as inferior ones have a habit of working loose.

Good luck!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th November 2005, 15:08
I changed my turbo with the car on axle stands on my drive. First time I'd done it and it took me about half a day. Access is a pain because the turbo's at the back of the engine, and you'll scrape some knuckles, but basically it's not a hard job. Fit the proper (and expensive) studs from Volvo when you put the new one on, as inferior ones have a habit of working loose.

Good luck!
Do we know who makes these inferior ones?

Al115
Thursday 10th November 2005, 15:26
Nope! I just heard that there were "genuine" and "other".

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th November 2005, 15:53
So we dont actually know if the "other" ones are inferior? Particularly with studs it is very hard to ascertain.

SaffronC70
Thursday 10th November 2005, 15:55
From my experience, I'd go for Volvo studs and nuts.

Be worth getting to do a proper job and as piece of mind.

You don't want to be getting under there too often to tighten stuff up !

Chris

Al115
Thursday 10th November 2005, 15:57
For my money, I'll use the genuine ones rather than take the risk! :)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th November 2005, 16:07
It is still pure conjecture and nobody really knows. You cannot catagorically state that Volvo OEM studs wouldnt come undone.

Al115
Thursday 10th November 2005, 16:14
Of course not, without some empirical testing! Which could be fun.

Put it this way. Of the three cases I have heard of turbos working loose, one involved genuine studs being re-used, one involved suspected non-genuine studs, and one I'm not sure of the source of the studs.

They're given a hard life, I'd prefer to use the genuine ones myself. That's all!

Al115
Thursday 10th November 2005, 16:19
On a more relevant note... are you sure it's the turbo at fault?

My turbo was shot, but the symptom there was that when the car went on boost it spat a lot of oil out the back. I had no smoke on idle to speak of.

Maybe someone else can confirm whether smoking on idle is likely to point to a knackered turbo? Just to be sure.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th November 2005, 16:29
Of course not, without some empirical testing! Which could be fun.

Put it this way. Of the three cases I have heard of turbos working loose, one involved genuine studs being re-used, one involved suspected non-genuine studs, and one I'm not sure of the source of the studs.

They're given a hard life, I'd prefer to use the genuine ones myself. That's all!
IMHO I think it makes no difference whatsoever. 3 cases doesnt make proof.

SaffronC70
Thursday 10th November 2005, 16:43
Does anyone know what sized studs are meant to be used ?

I for one don't, so I'd get Volvo ones to make sure they are the right size.

Chris

Mrsmopp
Thursday 10th November 2005, 16:44
Check the beathers before replacing the turbo Mark.

x

Al115
Thursday 10th November 2005, 16:45
Check the beathers before replacing the turbo Mark.

now THAT's what I'm talking about! :)

Mrsmopp
Thursday 10th November 2005, 16:46
now THAT's what I'm talking about! :)

Cept I cant spell!! LOL I meant BREATHERS :slap:

x