PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler advise plz....

Kingsford G
Wednesday 7th May 2014, 21:48
As I need to change my intercooler was thinking if anyone fitted a universal one to a P2 t5 or link to a direct fit one.Also how much and what difference to expect.I don`t think I`ll be running more than 320bhp most likely a solid 300bhp.Share your experience plz guys.

V70 Graham
Wednesday 7th May 2014, 21:52
Tbh I think the standard one can cope quite well with anything up to 300bhp.

merc85
Wednesday 7th May 2014, 21:53
Tbh I think the standard one can cope quite well with anything up to 300bhp.

kg's is damaged

graemewelch
Wednesday 7th May 2014, 22:18
Im not a fan of universal intercoolers. Some of them are cery poor quality crap from china. Mine has a uni one not fitted by me but i know it was done to a high standard and a few dyno sessions ive been told charge air temps are very low. But im tempted to build a fmic using a rs500 core that will match my alloy rad

M-R-P
Wednesday 7th May 2014, 22:48
Go for another OE one mate, you wont be asking more of it than it can take.

Kingsford G
Wednesday 7th May 2014, 23:22
It was just a thought really if its worth doing or not but I could do by spending that cash for something else tbh and fit a standard cooler.

M-R-P
Wednesday 7th May 2014, 23:41
Unless youre going for big performance, the OE one will be fine and probably a lot cheaper.

ExternalError
Thursday 8th May 2014, 00:14
I'm going for this one standard fit but miles better

http://shop.klracing.se/cgi-bin/ibutik/AIR_ibutik.fcgi

Dream3r
Thursday 8th May 2014, 06:55
My my post on the other IC thread for pics and logs on the KLRacing one.

LeeT5
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 12:24
It was just a thought really if its worth doing or not but I could do by spending that cash for something else tbh and fit a standard cooler.

If your going to run standard boost then fitting a new oe cooler will be fine, thou I'd have to ask why? Is your cracked or something?

Traditionally, P2 T5 and R models suffer from 'heat soak' quite badly. The aux cooler fitted on the R models was meant to try and eliminate this problem. It does help, but IAT are still very high, from what I've seen on certain tests.

However, if you want to run higher boost than oe (or if your car has been remapped) then I would advise you fit an after market cooler. The oe coolers are known for cracking and running higher than stock boost will inevitably lead to a cracked cooler, as I have recently found out.

From what I understand, fitting an after market FMIC is definitely the way forwards, will decrease you IAT's (especially during warm weather), mean you can safely run higher boost and most importantly improve performance considerably. I believe up to 20 HP gains can be met!

This is why I have chosen the aftermarket route.

Keep an eye out for my TW FMIC thread in the Modifications section. :smile:

Kingsford G
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 13:59
If your going to run standard boost then fitting a new oe cooler will be fine, thou I'd have to ask why? Is your cracked or something?

Traditionally, P2 T5 and R models suffer from 'heat soak' quite badly. The aux cooler fitted on the R models was meant to try and eliminate this problem. It does help, but IAT are still very high, from what I've seen on certain tests.

However, if you want to run higher boost than oe (or if your car has been remapped) then I would advise you fit an after market cooler. The oe coolers are known for cracking and running higher than stock boost will inevitably lead to a cracked cooler, as I have recently found out.

From what I understand, fitting an after market FMIC is definitely the way forwards, will decrease you IAT's (especially during warm weather), mean you can safely run higher boost and most importantly improve performance considerably. I believe up to 20 HP gains can be met!

This is why I have chosen the aftermarket route.

Keep an eye out for my TW FMIC thread in the Modifications section. :smile:

Cheers Lee.Mine has the complete radpack bent but no leaks from IC or rad.I`ll look up for your thread,something to consider in the future.

LeeT5
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 14:43
Cheers Lee.Mine has the complete radpack bent but no leaks from IC or rad.I`ll look up for your thread,something to consider in the future.

It's not written yet!

LeeT5
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 14:44

How?

T5RatherAmusin
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 15:25
id go for the kl racing one if i was you esp if your not a creative sod lol ;)
im running a fat tube n fin along with do88 gear with other custom work ive had to do to get it all setup
running at 23psi i need it :P

Kingsford G
Sunday 22nd June 2014, 18:42
How?

I bought it like this.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/kingsford10/2014-05-05100208_zps57686996.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/kingsford10/media/2014-05-05100208_zps57686996.jpg.html)

LeeT5
Monday 23rd June 2014, 12:34
Oh dear :shockedbi

Well that be knackered then! You'll not only need an IC but a radiator and air con condenser too, as you can guarantee when you remove it all, the Radiator fins will have been damaged.

Kingsford G
Monday 23rd June 2014, 22:25
Oh dear :shockedbi

Well that be knackered then! You'll not only need an IC but a radiator and air con condenser too, as you can guarantee when you remove it all, the Radiator fins will have been damaged.
They are all damaged mate,thats y I`m after a rad pack.It surprises me there r no leaks tho apart from the condenser.

LeeT5
Wednesday 13th August 2014, 17:44
You'll find the IC i've just fitted in here mate...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?51462-Busy-busy-busy!!!

Uses all the OE connections and fits perfectly. No cutting needed and no stupid wide band clamps or silly blue silicone tubing.

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 19th August 2014, 14:11
ref universal intercoolers, all of the discussions I have had with do88 about how they make significant improvements indicate the design of the end tank is critical for good flow over the whole width of the intercooler.
when they redeveloped the 850 intercooler they redesigned the end tanks again using cad, and got massive gains over their previous first version which was made in alloy specifically to stop the problem of the original ones splitting with high boost.
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/images/custom/do88/ICM-130_5.jpg

Kingsford G
Tuesday 19th August 2014, 16:23
That is a very good improvement

mike 850
Tuesday 19th August 2014, 16:38
is this comparing the old do88 to the new one? so the original is only marginally better than factory so definitely worth checking on the 2nd hand market for the revised version? quite a difference

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 19th August 2014, 17:03
yes it is mike.
as I mentioned the whole intention of the original was to stop the problem of them cracking under high boost.
now they have more technology and experience the result speaks for itself.
I think the original intercooler was one of the first things they ever made.

I doubt you'll find a second hand one, it hasn't been out a year yet.
the revised version has the do88 logo on the end tank. the original was plain.

Dream3r
Tuesday 19th August 2014, 17:31
ref universal intercoolers, all of the discussions I have had with do88 about how they make significant improvements indicate the design of the end tank is critical for good flow over the whole width of the intercooler.
when they redeveloped the 850 intercooler they redesigned the end tanks again using cad, and got massive gains over their previous first version which was made in alloy specifically to stop the problem of the original ones splitting with high boost.
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/images/custom/do88/ICM-130_5.jpg

That graph is interesting, the IAT actually goes down during gear change by looks of it?

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 14:50
it probably goes down because the air flow amount would drop during gearchange, making the intercooler more effective.

they hire a runway for the day to do their testing.
their demo car is a 850 t5 with 400 bhp garret turbo and full data logging , that has the intercooler pipes through the headlights and a front mounted frame. this way they can fit the original intercooler, run, then swap easily for the uprated one and take readings in exactly the same conditions.
they cheat though because it runs on E85, I have told them this!

we recently discussed options upgrading their brakes, because apparently there is a concrete wall at the end of the runway and they still had standard oe brakes fitted......... brown trousers

LeeT5
Wednesday 20th August 2014, 20:56
it probably goes down because the air flow amount would drop during gearchange, making the intercooler more effective.

they hire a runway for the day to do their testing.
their demo car is a 850 t5 with 400 bhp garret turbo and full data logging , that has the intercooler pipes through the headlights and a front mounted frame. this way they can fit the original intercooler, run, then swap easily for the uprated one and take readings in exactly the same conditions.
they cheat though because it runs on E85, I have told them this!

we recently discussed options upgrading their brakes, because apparently there is a concrete wall at the end of the runway and they still had standard oe brakes fitted......... brown trousers

So not really true results for a road going average T5. They should have bolted their ic to a standard T5 then tested to see what the results were over a stock car.