PDA

View Full Version : Back alley engine rebuild

soothingduck
Monday 28th April 2014, 17:51
Well my 1997 V70 T5 Auto pasted its MOT last Friday and the parts for the engine rebuild are piling up and on order soon to arrive. 3" 200 cell cat d/pipe and 2.5 s/steel Exhaust ordered off Graeme (due here about mid May-ish). Engine centre on stand by and all tools bought.

So I made a small start today with a new Volvo strut brace which as a piss poor silver paint finish.

Anyway being old and stupid I thought it would look better like this:

Bit of a rub down
2 coats of primer
rub down
4 coats of colour (stock car Orange)
rub down
3 coats of clear

Wanted to get this done early so the paint is nice and hard when I come to fit them.

abdul
Monday 28th April 2014, 17:57
Looking glod they woud suit my saffy

abdul
Monday 28th April 2014, 18:44
Shall I bring my srut brace down

soothingduck
Monday 28th April 2014, 19:11
Anytime for a fellow Manc just pull into the alley and watch the magic,
I also would do it for scousers if they have the receipts for the paint :hidesbehi

Tomcat
Monday 28th April 2014, 19:11
Looking glod they woud suit my saffy

Umm...What?

You been at the wine gums again?

mitchyboy01
Monday 28th April 2014, 19:18
You going for the focus ST chavtastic look? Like it.

merc85
Monday 28th April 2014, 19:33
thats bright lol, at least they sent you the right one, my local dealer sent me one for a Left hand drive vehicle lol

soothingduck
Monday 28th April 2014, 19:46
Don't want it to go unnoticed :funkybana

artfulflounder
Monday 28th April 2014, 20:12
Liking it....reminds me of the old malboro yamaha days....lol

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 29th April 2014, 13:40
:B_censore that's bright!

soothingduck
Thursday 1st May 2014, 17:40
Today I got a chance to tend to the sub-frame bushes.
I went for PFV bushes but would like them a bit stiffer,So I got some sikaflex 227 and filled the voids in them and carried on around the ring to make it a one piece one side jobby. You could use any silicone/polyurethane soft stuff will give a smaller increase in stiffness but wear out faster, harder stuff stiffer feel/last longer. But the polyurethane will bond well to the rubber so less chance of friction between the two so should last a long time (hopefully)

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w420/soothingduck/2873238c-d6cb-48cf-acec-f5cda88a7e13.jpg?t=1398960370

I will do the same to the engine mounts when I have them. The idea is just to give a " Better feel/closer connection between driver and engine" and aid handling a bit but not shake my chunks :)

Just need to let them cure for a couple of days,then fill the other sides. this should give them a week to go off.
I think I will be pulling the engine on Friday 9th it's getting close now :ready2go:

claymore
Thursday 1st May 2014, 18:19
Or you could have fitted inserts in there, there is a member who makes them and sells them on here :)

soothingduck
Thursday 1st May 2014, 18:21
yeah but they will not bond to the rubber so I think they will rub rather than act as one piece (could be talking ££££££££) so didn't fancy them.

claymore
Thursday 1st May 2014, 18:28
They make a huge difference to the steering response :)

stribo
Thursday 1st May 2014, 19:08
Or you could have fitted inserts in there, there is a member who makes them and sells them on here :)

Sponge did make them, I'm not sure if he still is.

claymore
Thursday 1st May 2014, 19:10
Sponge did make them, I'm not sure if he still is.
Yep, he's still making them :)

soothingduck
Thursday 1st May 2014, 19:24
They make a huge difference to the steering response :)

good that's the plan

soothingduck
Monday 19th May 2014, 20:42
Well on friday the 9th AM the last of my parts arrived,so I was about to start the next morning.went outside just for a quick look and way it up a bit so I would be ready for the morning,came in and had my tea (evening meal to you southern softies) when ten mins later BANG I had a massive heart attack along with a double lung infection. Anyway 19 days later i,m on the mend but still in the hospital.
No idea what i'm going to do now as i'm left with a lot of heart and lung damage and have been told " you will never be the man you was" I guess I'll just put it on hold for a while and see what turns up.

Anyway how about that as a update.....Bugger....Bugger....Bugger

claymore
Monday 19th May 2014, 20:45
Not the sort of update we like :(

Doingitsideways
Monday 19th May 2014, 20:58
Oh CRAP!!

Hope you mend well matey.

Best wishes from another Manc :D

Steve ;)