PDA

View Full Version : Power Stering Pump / Alternator

MattB
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 00:15
Evening All.

A few problems with the motor tonight - need a bit of help...

I started my car about an hour ago, to come home from work. Noticing an unusual noise coming from the engine bay, I popped the bonnet. The car had only been running for a minute or two, yet there was a small amount of smokecoming from the power steering pump / alternator area. Lighting was poor, so could not figure out exactly where it was coming from. I touched the accelerator a couple of times and the strange noise - or continuous groan became louder and changed pitched in time with the engine. As I work in a slightly 'undesirable area', I decided to risk driving it and trundled home. On the way, I could hear the groan just above the engine - when opening the window, I could eventually smell - what I can only describe as a 'burning smell'.

When I got home, I parked under a lamp post (all torches knackered!!) and again inspected the engine. I checked the power steer fluid, which appeared to be slightly low, but still present. I topped this up a little - noise still persists, but smoking seems to have stopped for the time being. I tried to lock the car while I fetched my garage keys. The car just about locked, but the alarm would activate after a few seconds. The alarm led would flash quickly 3 times with the car unlocked. Also - the battery light on the dashboard began to flash with the ignition turned off!

Totally puzzled now, I searched thru the user and haynes manual to try and find atleast half an explanation - nothing. I next placed a metal bar against both the pump and alternator and my ear to the other end. The groan seems to resinate more from the alternator, which suggests to me that it may not be working properly? Coupled with the alarm and battery light antics - could it simply be on its way and not charging the battery properly or could the belt be slipping?

I had to have a '2nd hand' alternator fitted when I bought the car a year or so ago. However, the old alternator made a pulsating groan / grind, where as this time it is continuous.

Any ideas guys (and gals!) - I shall drop the car into the garage opposite work and let them have a look, (as I am going away at the weekend and so need a swift repair if possible!!).

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated as I am totally confused!!...

MattB
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 00:50
Just had to nip back to work to pick up a mate's laptop.
Burning smell has become stronger - but no more smoke??

Will see what garage can find tomorrow...

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 01:24
Has a bearing gone in the alternator or other that has caused the belt to rub...?

......Just a guess.........

MattB
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 10:38
Has a bearing gone in the alternator or other that has caused the belt to rub...?

......Just a guess.........

Thanks JUDGENINJA, our suspicions have been proved correct - alternator has gone. Will give Salvo a buzz...

fraz13
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 10:52
As I work in a slightly 'undesirable area', I decided to risk driving it and trundled home.
Surely not in Bournemouth??? A always enjoyed it down there, never saw any junkies like a see up here everywhere a go....

Sorry bout the car, hope it gets fixed soon ;)

MattB
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 12:23
Surely not in Bournemouth??? A always enjoyed it down there, never saw any junkies like a see up here everywhere a go....

Sorry bout the car, hope it gets fixed soon ;)

You'd be surprised Fraz!!

Just ordered an new alternator from Slavo - should be here tomorrow.