PDA

View Full Version : problem

abdul
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:07
Hi not sure how to describe the problem when I set of car seem to get to 5 thosand revs but doesnt get any speed up if u doing 40 mph and floor it car goes to 4 or 5 thousand revs but doesnt move just holds revs at 5 thousand then u have to ease up on the pedal cars a v70 r auto thanks

JamesT5
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:09
Hi not sure how to describe the problem when I set of car seem to get to 5 thosand revs but doesnt get any speed up if u doing 40 mph and floor it car goes to 4 or 5 thousand revs but doesnt move just holds revs at 5 thousand then u have to ease up on the pedal cars a v70 r auto thanks

Eh? :confused: :wtf:

AndysR
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:10
Auto you say?
Have you checked the fluid for condition and level? Any warning lights on?
How old is the car? Is it a switchable mode box in an earlier car or is it an adaptive box?

claymore
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:11
Sounds like the box / torque converter is on the way out :(

foammanmark
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:14
Laser or Saffy Abdul?

abdul
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:16
Auto you say?
Have you checked the fluid for condition and level? Any warning lights on?
How old is the car? Is it a switchable mode box in an earlier car or is it an adaptive box?

Fluid level seems to be fine colour looks good its a v70 r 1998 3 speed auto with 3 sports mode

abdul
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:17
Laser or Saffy Abdul?

Saffy

abdul
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:18
Cars fine at idle just when u are flooring it

abdul
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:19
Could I have a pipe leaking

foammanmark
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:19
Saffy

Still not good, but I was hoping it wasn't Laser, as she had a new box etc. not that long ago. Is this a sudden occurrence with saffy?

abdul
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:21
Still not good, but I was hoping it wasn't Laser, as she had a new box etc. not that long ago. Is this a sudden occurrence with saffy?

Yes started a few days ago all of a sudden thought it might be a pipe come off or something

abdul
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:22
Theres no flashing lights on the dash

AndysR
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:23
Fluid level seems to be fine colour looks good its a v70 r 1998 3 speed auto with 3 sports mode

Ok, is the gearbox playing up or is the engine just not producing the power to get it going like it used to? It is possible that a blown boost hose would cause the car not to accelerate properly but with a hose off the engine would stall of the maf is working correctly..

Does it alter the way the box performs of you use the L or 3 positions on the lever?

abdul
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:28
Ok, is the gearbox playing up or is the engine just not producing the power to get it going like it used to? It is possible that a blown boost hose would cause the car not to accelerate properly but with a hose off the engine would stall of the maf is working correctly..

Does it alter the way the box performs of you use the L or 3 positions on the lever?

Not sure of the l or 3 position will check that in the morning if its fine in 3 position would that indicate box is ok

abdul
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:29
Would having the codes read tell me what the problem is

AndysR
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:41
Not sure of the l or 3 position will check that in the morning if its fine in 3 position would that indicate box is ok

"Could" indicate an electronic fault rather than a mechanical issue, if your driving it tomorrow drive off as you would in "D" up to 15/20mph. Then once you've reached this speed push the sport button and put the lever in "L" provided you don't use the kickdown at the bottom of the accelerator pedal and the road speed doesn't drop below 5 mph the gearbox should select 2nd, and stay in 2nd it won't upshift, once the car is in 2nd see how the engine performs with moderate to heavy throttle, where possible, to see if the box is slipping or the engine is not producing full power. If the box goes into second and the engine seems to be pulling normally but the revs just instantly shoot up then it sounds like the box is shot :(

Would having the codes read tell me what the problem is

Never hurts :)

abdul
Sunday 27th April 2014, 21:51
Going to give it a try tomorrow

Kingsford G
Sunday 27th April 2014, 22:59
From the above description I understand the car revs up but doesn`t go so you need a new gearbox.As a cheaper option I`d fluch the fluid 1st and see how she behaves.

abdul
Sunday 27th April 2014, 23:04
From the above description I understand the car revs up but doesn`t go so you need a new gearbox.As a cheaper option I`d fluch the fluid 1st and see how she behaves.

Car goes and drives but when u try putting your foot down it revs to 5 tousand and doesnt do anything I have no lights flashing on the dash

abdul
Sunday 27th April 2014, 23:06
I can still drive the car been done abt 30 miles at 70 plus mph

Kingsford G
Sunday 27th April 2014, 23:07
Car goes and drives but when u try putting your foot down it revs to 5 tousand and doesnt do anything I have no lights flashing on the dash

So it goes when you speed up gently but when you floor it just revs and no acceleration?

siamblue
Sunday 27th April 2014, 23:32
How many miles has it done?i bet it is lower than 130k..

abdul
Monday 28th April 2014, 00:00
So it goes when you speed up gently but when you floor it just revs and no acceleration?

Yes

abdul
Monday 28th April 2014, 00:01
How many miles has it done?i bet it is lower than 130k..

siamblue
Monday 28th April 2014, 07:12
Oh dear. Get the fluid changed and flush it first but once they start slipping it's terminal only good thing for you it's a 3 speed so a really common box to find.

abdul
Monday 28th April 2014, 07:52
Oh dear. Get the fluid changed and flush it first but once they start slipping it's terminal only good thing for you it's a 3 speed so a really common box to find.

Had the fluid changed abt 6k miles ago

abdul
Monday 28th April 2014, 07:54
Sounds like the box / torque converter is on the way out :(

As cleymore suggest could it be the torque converter

abdul
Monday 28th April 2014, 07:55
Would a box from a v70 t5 be the same as a v70 r

jamesy12345
Monday 28th April 2014, 08:09
3-speed? 4-speed AW42 I think it will be

abdul
Monday 28th April 2014, 08:15
3-speed? 4-speed AW42 I think it will be

3 speed auto

jamesy12345
Monday 28th April 2014, 08:16
3 speed auto

never heard of one :)

I think it's the same box in a T5. The non-T5s will probably fit also but have different final drives

abdul
Monday 28th April 2014, 08:55
Sorry I think its the 4 speed auto

jamesy12345
Monday 28th April 2014, 09:56
Sorry I think its the 4 speed auto

I've got the same one in my S70 T5. I've also got another AW42 auto box from a 2.0 litre to go in it at some point - AFAIK they are all the same box but like I said with different final drives. R and T5 final drive are the same

960kg
Monday 28th April 2014, 10:08
Do a stall test to check the torque converter.........put in bottom gear with the handbrake and footbrake on and go WOT the revs should only rise to about 2500 and then stall the engine.......only do it once or twice in succession as the oil may overheat!

Also not sure but an auto 3 or 4 speed box usually has an overdrive and needs a relay for it to go in .......maybe the relay has gone kaput so it stays in 3rd at 5000 revs.!!!

abdul
Monday 28th April 2014, 12:55
As andysr suggested tried the car in lower gear l it holds the revs near 2k doesnt shoot higher was playingwith the gear shiffting them from p to l back and forward car seems to be better going to give Iit a flush and see how it goes seems to be a lot better

Kingsford G
Monday 28th April 2014, 16:36
It is an Asin 42/50 box,you might have the sludge on the torque converter teeth from poor maintenace making it slip so drain the fluid from the sump and see if you find any metal dust or particules in the fluid and refill with the same amount and do it the same thing every 50-100 miles,its called a stage fluid change which is a gentle way of flushing rather than shifting all the crap in one go that may result in g/box replacement.

abdul
Monday 28th April 2014, 17:52
It is an Asin 42/50 box,you might have the sludge on the torque converter teeth from poor maintenace making it slip so drain the fluid from the sump and see if you find any metal dust or particules in the fluid and refill with the same amount and do it the same thing every 50-100 miles,its called a stage fluid change which is a gentle way of flushing rather than shifting all the crap in one go that may result in g/box replacement.

Going to do a flush which is a good place to buy the oil

RollingThunder
Monday 28th April 2014, 19:13
If you're just doing a flush then get the cheapest that you can find. I'm doing the same to my two V70Rs - just bought 25L of carlube dexron III for £65 which I'll use to flush them out, then I'll get some decent stuff in a few 1000 miles and flush the cheapo stuff out with that.

Re the sources, I have a trade account with MotorWorld which is where I've got the cheapo stuff from. I'll be using AMSOIL as the 'proper' ATF later on - its rather expensive... I paid over £120 for the stuff when I did my old 850R a few years ago.

AndysR
Monday 28th April 2014, 22:36
As andysr suggested tried the car in lower gear l it holds the revs near 2k doesnt shoot higher was playingwith the gear shiffting them from p to l back and forward car seems to be better going to give Iit a flush and see how it goes seems to be a lot better

That's promising, get a flush changed and on the final flush use the best oil you can, 70 series cars with the AW42's are recommended to have Dextron III oil ;)

Do a stall test to check the torque converter.........put in bottom gear with the handbrake and footbrake on and go WOT the revs should only rise to about 2500 and then stall the engine.......only do it once or twice in succession as the oil may overheat!

Also not sure but an auto 3 or 4 speed box usually has an overdrive and needs a relay for it to go in .......maybe the relay has gone kaput so it stays in 3rd at 5000 revs.!!!

Unfortunately the direct engagement of the torque converter, the overdrive function if you will, is controlled by the ecu not a relay like earlier cars.

Kingsford G
Monday 28th April 2014, 23:33
Going to do a flush which is a good place to buy the oil

Euro car parts,get Dextron III as mentioned above.

abdul
Tuesday 29th April 2014, 12:38
the cars a v70 r 1998 is it dextron 2 or dextron 3 dealer saying its 2

Kingsford G
Tuesday 29th April 2014, 14:03
the cars a v70 r 1998 is it dextron 2 or dextron 3 dealer saying its 2

It is Dx2 by the book but DX3 is compatible and more advanced.

abdul
Tuesday 29th April 2014, 16:18
can u mix both together or do u have to flush one out

AndysR
Tuesday 29th April 2014, 19:43
I'd advise Dextron III, and if your changing the fluid id advise a full box/cooler flush so get enough to do that and then you won't have to worry about mixing it ;)

Kingsford G
Tuesday 29th April 2014, 23:37
Some DXIII`s say on the can are compatible with DXII

AndysR
Sunday 11th May 2014, 22:15
Any news on this, did the fluid change fix the fault? :)

abdul
Sunday 11th May 2014, 22:22
Any news on this, did the fluid change fix the fault? :)

Got the oil just need to get around to changing the oil

MoleT-5R
Sunday 11th May 2014, 22:32
Got the oil just need to get around to changing the oil

just about to do ours and a software update whilst the main dealer has her, cost of the flush is good as it includes oil and about 200 if I remember correctly, plus software flash