PDA

View Full Version : need brake pads asap

the-man-that-can
Saturday 26th April 2014, 19:36
After taking out my 855 t5r for a blast it seems that ive totally killed my back brake pads! car was grinding like hell when coming to a stop :( so had to limp her home was thinking of changing discs and pads all round!

is this ebay item any good? if NOT what would anyone suggest! THANKS

eBay item number:180678245515

foammanmark
Saturday 26th April 2014, 19:37
Has the car been stood for a while? Just wondering if you have a caliper issue like I've had several times.

the-man-that-can
Saturday 26th April 2014, 19:43
It was not used a lot mate! old boy only used her a few months a year as they have a place abroad! car drives like a dream :) took car out for a long drive today all was good till i had a little dust up with a accord type r hahahaha :P broke hard and think the pads just fell apart lol car sounds like pads was metal to metal and grinding when i brake! really really bad so il just buy a new set of front and rear discs and pads i think :) others have seen better days what with the car being 19 years old :)

HERE IS THE SPECS OF THE SET IM THINKING OFF!

Front Discs Specification:
Vented - Studs 5
Disc diameter 302.0mm
Disc thickness 26.0mm
Overall height 50.0mm
Centre diameter 68.0mm
Minimum thickness 23.0mm

Rear Discs Specification:
Solid - Studs 5
Disc diameter 295.0mm
Disc thickness 9.6mm
Overall height 72.0mm
Centre diameter 68.0mm
Minimum thickness 8.4mm

Anyone know if they will be compatible with the standard calipers?

foammanmark
Saturday 26th April 2014, 19:51
My handbrake is my problem, as I basically can't use it without it seizing. Other than that, after a wash last Summer, a rear caliper seized, but freed after gentle persuasion.

Think you'll need bigger carriers for 302's on the front(unless they're already done), but someone more in the know will confirm.

Jamest5r
Saturday 26th April 2014, 19:54
Yep you will need bigger carries as yours are 280

the-man-that-can
Saturday 26th April 2014, 19:56
hmmm i never ever had a problem with the brakes on the car when i had it mate! just makes me laugh as the old saying goes one will never have any money when he owns a car :D lmfao soon as someone here advises me about them discs and pads on flebay il be buying em! just not sure if the standard calipers will be compatible at all.

the-man-that-can
Saturday 26th April 2014, 19:57
Ahhhh is that all i need james? (bigger carriers) will i need anything else? also where can i buy some carriers from? THANKS :)

foammanmark
Saturday 26th April 2014, 19:57
You need to check the diameter of your current front discs, and like Jamest5r says, they should be 280.

the-man-that-can
Saturday 26th April 2014, 20:07
What type of carriers do i need guys? and where can i buy them from? THANKS :)

foammanmark
Saturday 26th April 2014, 20:16
What type of carriers do i need guys? and where can i buy them from? THANKS :)

Just some carrier's for 302's, which are usually available on here.

the-man-that-can
Saturday 26th April 2014, 20:19
OFF to the wanted section i go then it seems :) THANKS for the help guys

btw how much do they go for?

Jamest5r
Saturday 26th April 2014, 20:38
OFF to the wanted section i go then it seems :) THANKS for the help guys

btw how much do they go for?

30 to 40 quid the set best bet is go to your local scrappy and find a 70 series in there

the-man-that-can
Saturday 26th April 2014, 20:47
Will keep an eye out for a set! thanks :) SO next question! is this front and rear discs and pads set worth it?

foammanmark
Saturday 26th April 2014, 21:07
Will keep an eye out for a set! thanks :) SO next question! is this front and rear discs and pads set worth it?

Quite a few p1 V70/C70 T5's were fitted with 302's, so they're worth a look.

the-man-that-can
Saturday 26th April 2014, 21:10
Yeah will do thanks mate! pretty stupid putting such small crappy and weak brakes on such a big and heavy car really huh! my kona stinky mtb has better brakes :D LOL

foammanmark
Saturday 26th April 2014, 21:13
Yeah will do thanks mate! pretty stupid putting such small crappy and weak brakes on such a big and heavy car really huh! my kona stinky mtb has better brakes :D LOL

I've not checked my Gul's front discs but I presume she's on 280's. If she is, then I would also be looking to upgrade to 302's at some stage.

the-man-that-can
Saturday 26th April 2014, 21:19
As far as i know they are small so would say there 280's i recall having them fade a few times :D as i said the brakes are terrible really for a car so heavy and fast :)

foammanmark
Saturday 26th April 2014, 21:26
The other problem I keep getting is warped discs on the C70/V70, but non Volvo parts.

the-man-that-can
Saturday 26th April 2014, 21:30
Strange things cars :) im really happy with the car i got it pulls like a train and is as smooth as silk! soon as i get the 302 conversion and fit it i think the car will be spot on! even on my old gul/your car i never ever felt that safe with the brakes if i was ever hooning. Seems the 302 brake conversion is defo a good career move for anyone who owns a 850 t5/t5r

foammanmark
Saturday 26th April 2014, 22:11
Glad that you're happy with her, and if you struggle for the bigger carriers, let me know. A local indy to me may be sat on a set, or two.................

the-man-that-can
Saturday 26th April 2014, 22:16
OK mark thanks :) i have just posted in the wanted section for some 302mm carriers :) fingers crossed a set pop up for the 30-40 squid that Jamest5r said they go for.

foammanmark
Saturday 26th April 2014, 22:17
OK mark thanks :) i have just posted in the wanted section for some 302mm carriers :) fingers crossed a set pop up for the 30-40 squid that Jamest5r said!

Lol, you've already had a reply from a fellow South Westerner, or are you a Southerner?

the-man-that-can
Saturday 26th April 2014, 22:24
Im a south westerner :P i have just pm the chap as would meet up with anyone localish to myself :) pointless posting stuff less a seller lives in Mongolia :D

foammanmark
Saturday 26th April 2014, 22:26
Im a south westerner :P i have just pm the chap as would meet up with anyone localish to myself :) pointless posting stuff less a seller lives in Mongolia :D

A nice drive up into Wiltshire then.............

the-man-that-can
Saturday 26th April 2014, 22:36
Would die before i made it with my dodgey brakes :D car is unusable till the brakes are sorted!

foammanmark
Sunday 27th April 2014, 09:38
Would die before i made it with my dodgey brakes :D car is unusable till the brakes are sorted!

Definitely better being safe than sorry, and I hope that you're sorted very soon.

the-man-that-can
Sunday 27th April 2014, 10:48
Yes totally agree there matie thanks too btw :) was gonna go out and check the rear discs and pads this morning along with my ECU code/number but the rains so bad here gonna need a bigger boat i feel :D typical always when one needs to be outside to do something and it flipping pee's it down!

foammanmark
Sunday 27th April 2014, 10:56
Yes totally agree there matie thanks too btw :) was gonna go out and check the rear discs and pads this morning along with my ECU code/number but the rains so bad here gonna need a bigger boat i feel :D typical always when one needs to be outside to do something and it flipping pee's it down!

That makes a change. Actually fine up here, and I'm on the verge of washing the R. Our Guls are OBD1 aren't they? I'm not sure what difference that makes with the ecu.

p fandango
Sunday 27th April 2014, 11:01
if your going to 302's don't forget you'll need longer brake lines

the-man-that-can
Sunday 27th April 2014, 11:07
OH cheers for that p fandango! lord may just not bother for now then LOL god cars are so annoying :( hahaha and seems oblarks ECU wont fit mine then mark if you say our t5r's are OBD1 and the one he has for sale is an OBD2

can anyone please advise me on if its really actually worth going from 280mm discs to 302mm discs? is there really that much improvement to be had?